Profile for Nerida > Reviews

Talking Heads
by Alan Bennett
Price: 6.29

5.0 out of 5 stars Alan Bennett - Taliing Heads, 10 Oct 2011
This review is from: Talking Heads (Paperback)
Bennett is a great wordsmith and observer of human nature. His plays are brilliantly written, poignant and well crafted. I have been a Bennett fan ever since his Uni days and "Beyond The Fringe" with Peter Cook, Dudley Moore and Jonatham Miller, who have each shone in their respective performance careers. The DVDs compliment the book with each vignette being read by top British actors. I can't get enough of him.

Siege Of Pinchgut [DVD]
Siege Of Pinchgut [DVD]
Dvd ~ Aldo Ray
Price: 12.86

5.0 out of 5 stars Sydney as I remember it., 14 Feb 2011
This review is from: Siege Of Pinchgut [DVD] (DVD)
Siege Of Pinchgut [DVD] [1960]

I am amazed how well this film stands up after 50 years. It is a well made movie and shows Sydney as it was - before the Opera House days when Benelong Point housed the old castle-like tram depot (the depot was pulled down for the construction of the Sydney Opera House and trams were taken off the streets and replaced by buses).

As our children never knew my mother it is wonderful for them to be able to see her on screen as the generous tourist who visits the island in the middle of our lovely Sydney Harbour - Fort Denison (known as Pinchgut to the early convicts who were housed there). She is the tourist who tips one of the four men who has taken over the island and taken the caretaker and his family hostage, in order to negotiate their escape with the police. It is just a shame that, as there was so much background noise at the time of filming, her voice was overdubbed by another Austalian actress in the Ealing Studios in London, and we don't actually hear her speaking.

Thank you Amazon UK for having this available at a truly affordable price - it brings back many memories, not only of my mother but also of Sydney in the 1960s.

Lost Tracks: 1929-1959
Lost Tracks: 1929-1959
Price: 18.14

5.0 out of 5 stars The Fabulous Miss Garland, 14 Feb 2011
This review is from: Lost Tracks: 1929-1959 (Audio CD)
Judy Garland - TV Special - Live at the Palace Theatre - Ford Star Jubilee [DVD] [2010]

I have always been a great fan of Judy's and remember the special night I saw her in New York in the 50s. When she came on stage I didn't recognise her - it was during her overweight days, but the moment she opened her mouth and sang I was hooked yet again.

This 4 CD set has brought back many wonderful memories and even includes her singing with her sisters as the Gumm Sisters, which is where it all began for her.

What a wonderful find - once again I am being knocked out by her performances (and, I must admit, singing along with her).

Thank you Amazon UK for having this available, and at such a reasonable price too.