Profile for Ms. Emily Benet > Reviews

The Hundred-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out of the Window and Disappeared
The Hundred-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out of the Window and Disappeared
by Jonas Jonasson

5.0 out of 5 stars Hilarious & Clever, 11 Sept. 2012
This is the most entertaining book I've read for years. I found myself grinning every couple of pages. I loved the absurdity of the main character meeting all these historical world leaders and his wonderful attitude to them. The way the author uses indirect speech makes it hilarious. It's a feel-good book, great fun and by the end all I'm wishing is I have as many adventures when I hit 100 years of age!

Greenacre Writers Anthology 2011: Volume One: Greenacre Writers Short Story Competition
by Lianne Kolirin

5.0 out of 5 stars Engaging and Original, 3 Sept. 2012
I'm wary of short story anthologies because my experience has often been of depressing, tedious stories that get caught up in poetic descriptions but don't really get going! But I loved this book from page one. The stories are each very different and instantly grab you. They are the perfect length to dip in and out. I felt energised after the first few pages. No wonder it won a prize in the National Association of Writers Groups! I highly recommend it.

Live Eels and Grand Pianos
Live Eels and Grand Pianos
by Andrew Bradford

5.0 out of 5 stars Heartwarming, 27 May 2012
I started this book and was completely drawn in by the honest and open storytelling voice. In the end I couldn't put it down and read it in one sitting. I was educated and entertained. The black and white photographs beautifully illustrate the story and offer a view into another lifetime.