Profile for Rachel Miller > Reviews

Content by Rachel Miller

Rachel Miller "Internal communication and social media strategist" (London, UK)

How to get a job in PR
How to get a job in PR
by Sarah Stimson

5.0 out of 5 stars A must read for PR and Comms practitioners, 5 Jan. 2014
This review is from: How to get a job in PR (Paperback)
If you are looking to find your first job in this exciting profession, make this book your first step in securing the career you'd like. It's a good read for any stage of your career, but I think it's particularly poignant if you're just starting out.

It is full of guidance and tips from 80 PR industry insiders to help you make wise choices and set you on the right path.

Reading through the book, I was struck by the honesty of How to get a job in PRsome of the chapters - this isn't a glossy image of working in PR and Communications, it's the reality of long, often unsociable hours, but rewarding work. That alone makes it stand out as a recommended read.

Chapters include: What do PR people do? Agency vs in-house, The importance of cultural fit, Making your CV more effective, Job application tips, Do I need a PR degree? Working from home, How to go freelance, plus my favourite - 25 don'ts.

I really enjoyed the book, well done Sarah for such a readable, thoughtful and well-timed publication.

Disclaimer: I received a free copy of the ebook in return for an honest review.

Brand Vandals: Reputation Wreckers and How to Build Better Defences: Corporate Reputation Risk and Response
by Stephen Waddington and Steve Earl

5.0 out of 5 stars A veritable romp and a thrilling read for comms pros, 3 Nov. 2013
#brandvandals is a veritable romp through the world of communication, public relations and everything else in between and around it, and makes for a thrilling read.

The style is no-nonsense, plain English, jargon-free and enticing. It's gritty and raw and a reflection of the world we are operating in and the reality of the types of conversations that take place about our brands, employees and organisations.

It has some choice quotes in there and made me laugh out loud on a couple of occasions at the cheekiness of some of the language.

The chapters and comments are not sugar-coated. This is not a saccharine-sweet business book, it's the truth - people do say exactly what they think and direct their feelings towards organisations. So it makes sense for the book to be written this way and for companies to react, respond and plan accordingly based on the reality of their worlds.

I like the fact there's a 90 day plan in there to get your brand ready to tackle the vandals. This isn't about outsmarting every move and trick in the book when it comes to people willingly creating waves, but about "keeping your reputational shield polished, so mud is harder to stick."

I read the book in one sitting as I literally couldn't put it down. This is a book I will be re-reading and referencing, and I thoroughly recommend checking it out for yourself. Congratulations Steve and Stephen for yet another staple book for my shelves.

From Lincoln to LinkedIn: The 55-Minute Guide to Social Communication or Why Social Media has [tweet] All to Do With New Technology and Everything to do With Timeless Principles of Word of Mouth)
by Mike Klein

5.0 out of 5 stars A must-read for Comms professionals, 2 Jun. 2011
I always find it helpful to read a thorough review so thought I'd share my thoughts on From Lincoln to LinkedIn here.

The book is billed as being for Corporate Communicators, Change Leaders, CEOs, and Social Media `Experts'. I would also add HR professionals to that list. Like social media, the idea of social communication isn't new and I found the clarity and straight-forward explanations peppered throughout the book guided me through and kept underlining the difference. It is 93 pages long so completely possible to read in 55 minutes.

Instead of being packed full of tips on how to use Twitter, which most books in the similar ilk seem to have, and which would not be appropriate here, Klein's book focuses on the `real social networks' already at play within organisations and communities, and on those that can be created to support new initiatives and agendas.

I found the most important element that helps set this book apart is the fact that it makes the distinction between social communication and social media and that the key word in those terms - social - is the path to success. Setting aside all the gadgets, theories and noise that is around, I think the author cuts through it all to peel back the layers to the core; social communication, and simpler than that, the effectiveness of using word of mouth to deliver change and communicate with those around you. Having said that, it does offer useful ideas on how to use LinkedIn to identify the tribes within organisations.

What struck me was the no nonsense stance. I found the content drew me in and I ended up reading it twice. The second time was even better. During the first reading I was nodding along and wanting to see what was next, whereas during the second reading I took much more detail onboard. The right hand side of the book works in the usual conventional way, whereas the left hand side has chunky, thought-provoking quotes that would work well as stand alone text at the bottom of presentations.

Klein examines the ideas behind Abraham Lincoln's political campaign in 1840 and cites five principles for winning electoral campaigns, which as you read the book, you can see how they apply to social or corporate communications in 2011.

Definitely worth checking out.

Debrett's Wedding Guide (Debretts)
Debrett's Wedding Guide (Debretts)
by Debrett's

5.0 out of 5 stars Wedding essential!, 7 Sept. 2010
This book is proving to be invaluable in helping me plan my wedding and know what stages I should be at in my organising. I've had lots of little questions and no answers and had found the Debretts website useful so hoped the book would be the same. It is better than the website - it is no nonsense, straight forward and helps settle any potential arguments about what 'should' and 'shouldn't' happen.