Profile for Janet D > Reviews

Domestic Insect Killer
Domestic Insect Killer
Offered by MERCAT LTD

5.0 out of 5 stars Zap attack!, 24 July 2012
I have read the other reviews and am surprised at some of the negative experiences other buyers have had. My insect light is several years' old and has been on, non-stop, through all of that time, zapping untold numbers of insects. It is only now that the bulb seems to have died and I was surprised to see that the cost of a replacement bulb is almost as much as buying a complete new unit. I think I will try and buy a replacement bulb and hope my unit still is in good working order and not that the transformer has broken (which is what apprenently happened to another reviewer) as a new unit might not be as reliable is this 'old timer'.

My unit is black and I agree with one reviewer who stated that they didn't particularly want it hanging up in their kitchen. Like them, I also put it on top of our central cluster of upper units in the kitchen. It doesn't even get noticed and provides a welcome gentle light if you go down to get a drink of water in the night, enough to see safely by without the necessity of turning on the main lights and being half-blinded by the sudden dazzle. An insect killer and night light in one! Great when my grandchildren comes to stay as I always like to leave soft lighting on during the night, in case they get up.

I can only go by my own experiences, which have been very positive, and rate this the full 5 stars. Have I been lucky, or have the other reviewers been unlucky? The good thing with buying through Amazon is that there is 100% security in knowing that you will be issued a refund if your item is defective, so that is the main reason I return to buy through them, time and time again.

A very reasonable price (about £5 when I bought it), effective, very reliable and with the Amazon guarantee of a refund if it is faulty.

Haden 10047 300 ml Capacity Mini Food Chopper
Haden 10047 300 ml Capacity Mini Food Chopper
Offered by Luzern

5.0 out of 5 stars Small but gutsy, 31 Mar. 2012
I have been using one of these mini choppers for several years and it has stood the test of time, repeated use and numerous instances of abuse from me when I have dropped the lid, overfilled the bowl etc. I've probably used this 4 or 5 times a week for the past four or so years. I am getting this one as a replacement because I had dropped the lid so many times and then superglued it back, there are only so many times you can do that and I really do not want to be without this invaluable little gadget! I can rough chop or turn to a puree anything from tomatoes to onions, carrots, peppers etc. I find it handy to use for chopping my veggies and then I add the spices and herbs and give it another quick whizz before adding to the recipe or as a marinade. That ensures the flavourings are evenly distributed and you don't suddenly get an overdose of garlic or chili. My grandson is now 3, but it mushed his food when he was being weaned and there were no lumpy and unpleasant surprises for him. The gadget is small enough to fit in my kitchen cupboard, yet big enough to handle most of the veggies I need to chop. It is best to rough chop larger items such as carrots; tomatoes and onions also benefit from being cut in half, first, as they can tend to just whizz around the bowl for a bit without getting chopped if you leave them whole. Don't over-fill the bowl with tomatoes or other wet foods as this can leak out when they whizz round and then you have a little bit of a fiddle with a dish cloth to clean it up. Saying that, it is really easy to clean and (apart from the superglued lid) my old chopper is in as good a condition as when it first came out of the box, four plus years ago. The blade may be small but it is really sharp and cuts through even hard veggies such as carrots with ease.

Jtek 16GB 4.3" HD Touch Screen MP4 MP3 with TV Out, Ebook Reader in Txt and PDF, SD Expansion Slot. Brand New Release With a Whole Host New Features + Jtek Extras Pack Including Upgraded In Ear Stereo Earphones and USB Car Charger

5.0 out of 5 stars A good piece of kit, 21 Feb. 2012
I bought this for my husband to use at work as he is in a workshop and it helps pass the time. From the start he was really impressed by the look and feel of the unit; the screen was a good size, colours were vivid, he could upgrade the memory via the mini SD card, images were really crisp, the music he loaded on to it played at a high volume without any distortion and a full charge lasts two whole days (and it's still going). In fact, my husband needed to turn the volume down quite a lot as it was so loud, which is better than some units I've had where you have to crank it up to full and still wish for more! We had a slight problem with the unit not booting up sometimes but JTek IMMEDIATELY sent a replacement MP4 and kept in constant touch by email to ensure all was resolved. I cannot fault the customer service and professionalism of this seller and the replacement unit is keeping my husband VERY happy! I would highly recommend the unit for its performance and value for money, and the seller (JTek) for their integrity and high standards.

Lifemax Light Pod 107a SAD Simulated Daylight Box
Lifemax Light Pod 107a SAD Simulated Daylight Box

4.0 out of 5 stars Brightens my day, 26 Jan. 2012
I bought this for my husband; he is Afro-Caribbean and has been diagnosed as having Vitamin D deficiency due to the lack of sunlight his skin is exposed to (blame our rotten climate!). I researched the problem and SAD lights were recommended. Having made a second foray into internet research these type of lights seemed the best solution, combined with Vit D tablets. As usual, Amazon offered the best deal; I chose this model due to it's price and compact construction, as well as the positive reviews it had received. The package arrived within a couple of days, securely packed so no broken bulbs, and I set it up within seconds (plug and play, so to speak). My husband needs reminding to have it on, but he says he has felt the benefits after only a short while of using it. The recommended dose is around couple of hours a day, every day; as some other reviews have stated, the light is bright, but isn't that the very nature of this item? My husband gets migraines if he has a bright light directly to his eyes, but he has it to the side of his face so it is not in a direct line of vision. That seems to resolve any potential problems with headaches etc.

A few months ago I started a new job that means leaving home in darkness each morning, and getting home in equal darkness in the late evening. I also get very little lunch break and as the building does not have direct access to daylight, I am concerned of developing Vit D deficiency myself. I am going to get a light, for work, so I will sit and 'sun bathe' during work hours. I have also recommended this light to a colleague. I guess that answers the basic questions of 1) am I pleased with this product? and 2) would I recommend it to others? Answers: Yes, and Yes!

The only reason I haven't given it 5 stars is the price; there are more expensive lights on the market, but there are also ones that are cheaper.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 11, 2012 6:34 PM BST

Bop It!
Bop It!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun and educational, 21 Jan. 2012
This review is from: Bop It! (Toy)
I work in a secondary special school for pupils with 'barriers to learning'. These are predominantly behaviour-related and led to them having large amounts of absence from school/lessons and exclusions before coming to us. They also have many anti-social behaviours but this game has been an amazing bridge in so many aspects. I teach literacy and numeracy; they have discussions on the merits of different options that the game has, what techniques prove more effective/get the higher score, they are quiet as they need to listen to the instructions during the game, they learn numeracy as they work out who has the highest score/by how much/ranking to see who is 2nd, 3rd etc. As for social skills? They wait their turn, they pass it on to the next player, they encourage and/or tease each other, they have a laugh! The amount of staff who have also become addicted in trying to beat the pupils' highest score (it currently stands at 92 but it will be beaten as, before that, it was 45) is hilarious, and seeing staff and pupils in an engrossed, happy group, all focusing on bopit, it a sight to see as building positive adult-child relationships is also part of our work. As for durability? These kids are tough kids, yet the game has stood up to some rough handling and still looks/plays like new. I just wish I could afford more of them, so we could have a 'head to head' with teams. My score? I hang my head in shame as it is only 5, so far.....

HOMEFRONT PREMIUM KING SIZE FULLY FITTED WASHABLE LUXURY FLEECE MATTRESS COVER DUAL CONTROL (INDIVIDUAL HEAT CONTROL FOR BODY & FEET)

5.0 out of 5 stars Warm as toast!, 12 Dec. 2011
I suffer quite badly from poor circulation and my husband routinely complains about my ice-cold feet. I had contemplated getting an electric blanket for quite while but had negative memories of the electric blankets from years back, with wires than you could feel through the thin covering all night long. I researched and finally decided on this blanket; I have not been disappointed, nor has my husband. The variable zones temperature settings allow for you and your other half to individually set your preferred heats for body and feet, and the timer allows from 1 hour up to all night long. It warms up really quickly; I now switch it on just before I have my shower. By the time I am done and dried, the bed is cosy and just begging me to slip into the covers. No more cold feet, a very restful sleep with no waking up because my feet or fingers have cramped. Just one warning; it may cost you your job. My husband is finding it really hard to get out of the lovely warm bed, nowadays, and a couple of times has hit the 'snooze' button on the alarm clock and fallen into a lovely sleep for another couple of hours, and then been late for work. Maybe I should look for a new alarm clock, ha ha!

Count Us in: A Pack to Support Numeracy at Key Stages 1 and 2: A Pack to Support the Numeracy Hour at Key Stages 1 and 2
by Ruth Rowley
Edition: Spiral-bound

1.0 out of 5 stars Not worth it, 11 Nov. 2011
I bought this book to make life easier for me, both as a teacher and as a 1-2-1 tutor in my 'spare' time. It is, in my view, not worth buying. The number cards, days of the weeks and months could be made up on your PC within a matter of minutes. In this book they are simply typed on the page with a border around them, and that constitutes the contents of sections two, three and four. The drawn images of children, the few that are inside the book (the front cover and logo have one children from different ethnic backgrounds), are obviously white European. Some might argue that I am taking political correctedness too far but, as teachers, we need to be aware of how different cultural and ethinc groups are portrayed (or omitted) from resources. Which brings me on to one of the poems in section one; "One black monkey swinging on a tree......". Since how far back has a reference to 'black monkey' been regarded as unacceptable? This is something that the writers and publishers should have been aware of, surely, especially as Staffordshire County Council were involved in the production of this book? This book is far too outdated to be off much use; I have other books from similar time periods, some going further back, and they have proven invaluable and topical. This has not stood the test of time well and is, as the title of my review states, not worth the money.

Multipack - 20 XL compatible Ink Cartridges to Brother LC1100 LC 1100 LC980 LC 980 (8 BLACK + 4 CYAN + 4 MAGENTA + 4 YELLOW) LC1100BK LC1100Y LC1100C LC1100M LC980BK LC980Y LC980C LC980M for the Brother MFC-250C MFC-255CW MFC-290C MFC-295CN MFC-297C MFC-490CN MFC-490CW MFC-5490CN MFC-5890CN MFC-5895CW MFC-790CW MFC-795CW MFC-6490CW MFC-6890CDW MFC-990CW MFC-J615W DCP-145C DCP-163C DCP-165C DCP-167C DCP-185C DCP-195C DCP-365CN DCP-373CW DCP-375CW DCP-377CW DCP-383C DCP-385C DCP-387C DCP-395CN DCP-585CW DCP-6690CW DCP-J715WDCP- UNIVERSAL COMPATIBLE FOR LC38 LC61 LC65 LC67 LC980 LC990 LC1100 - (Silvertrade ©)

4.0 out of 5 stars Cheap and cheerful, 26 May 2011
I am sick of buying the branded print cartridges at too high prices, because you buy a reasonably-priced printer and the price of the cartridges whacks the running costs sky-high (a bit like the cost of filling my averaged-priced car with pricey petrol, ha ha!). These cartridges do exactly what brand ones would, which is to print at a variety of qualities such a draft, colour/black and white print (text), graphs and charts, photos..... I visited my two little grandchildren on the coast, a few weeks ago, and the digital photos came out in stunning colour using these inks. I use a lot of ink as I am a teacher and regularly prepare lessons and resources at home, and am so pleased with these that I am just about to order my next batch of them.
Some people say that non-branded cartridges muck up your printer; to be honest, as these are so cheap it would still be economical for me to stick with these cheaper cartridges and, if the print quality starts to reduce, then I will just buy another cheap printer. I will still be ahead, cost wise!

Banana Spaghetti
Banana Spaghetti
by Ann Cameron

4.0 out of 5 stars A good read, 10 April 2011
This review is from: Banana Spaghetti (Paperback)
I bought this book as I am a support tutor at several local primary schools and they this is book they use in class. My students enjoy the stories and the characters, but some of the words used are American so this can be a little confusing. On the other hand, this mix of terms used increases their vocabulary. The book contains several short stories and centre around Huey, his brother Julian and their best friend Grace, and the typically child-orientated adventures they get up to. There are numerous books by the same author, with these three children in them. It isn't overly dramatic, and quite charming in its simplicity. My students were Year 5 (9 - 10 years old) but had reading ages around 1 year lower than their chronological ages, so I would probably recommend it for a child of 7 - 8 years old. My grand-daughter, who is 8, found it very easy to read and enjoyed it immensely. It isn't the type of book that she is likely to read again and again, not as she does with books such as 'Aesop's Fables', because they are so simplistic, but I bought it for a good price and have used it with numerous children (and will continue to use it for my tutoring sessions) so, for me, it has been an excellent purchase.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 27, 2011 10:59 PM BST

2400W Elite Iron
2400W Elite Iron

4.0 out of 5 stars Dodgy dial, 10 April 2011
This review is from: 2400W Elite Iron
I bought this to replace an old steam iron that gave up the ghost after many years faithful service. The weight of this is enough so that you feel it's actually doing a good job (which it does) and yet it is light enough not to tire your arms. I used to iron for numerous other people as a side-line to support myself through university, so ironing is now something I abhor! But, this iron makes even difficult creases disappear, the water reservoir is a fair size so I don't have to constantly top up the water, and the steam output/shot of steam is very effective. The iron heats up very quickly, and the ceramic sole plate is really smooth and so doesn't snag on even the most delicate of fabrics. The 3m cord is enough so that I can place my ironing board in the middle of the living room whilst also watching TV (makes the chore of ironing less tedious). If I had any negatives then it would be that the cord unravels easily when you store the iron away, so I ended up using a large clothes peg to keep the cord wound up and secure; also, the dial for the temperature is so close to the handle that you have a tendency to catch it with your knuckles. My hands aren't huge and my fingers are slender yet this is something that has happened a few times, so if you are someone with larger hands I think this would be a constant problem. The dial rotates very easily and so you could increase the ironing temperature without realising it. This could lead to you scorching something if you aren't watchful, especially bearing in mind my earlier comment as to how quickly it heats up. If it wasn't for the dodgy dial, then I would have given a 5 start rating for this.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4