Profile for D. Niven > Reviews

D. Niven (UK)

Thomas Tallis: Spem in alium
Thomas Tallis: Spem in alium

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb, 1 Aug. 2013
I echo the 5 star reviews below. This is simply the most beautiful Tallis recording I have ever come across. Spem in Alium and Miserere are unrivalled - even in comparison with the superb Tallis Scholars. I could listen to this recording over and over again with getting bored.

Buddhism Without Beliefs: A Contemporary Guide to Awakening
Buddhism Without Beliefs: A Contemporary Guide to Awakening
by Stephen Batchelor

5.0 out of 5 stars Self complete and excellent, 11 Dec. 2008
I first read this book over 5 years ago, and I have never forgotten it.

It was a complete eye opener and explained Buddha's philosphy in a transparent, open and inviting manner. The book gets right to the point and avoids wallowing in intellectual dogma (which unfortunately plagues so many other impenetratable texts on Buddhism).

For an agnostic such as myself, it is a welcoming opportunity to experience a simple practical philosophy that can change your approach to life.

I personally found this book a powerful insight.

It is very dissapointing to see some very negative reviews of this book. I can't help but feel that there is an intellectual and very defensive pride from the more traditional opponents of this book, who are unwilling to observe things change.

A Traveller's History of Russia and the USSR (The Traveller's Histories)
A Traveller's History of Russia and the USSR (The Traveller's Histories)
by Peter Neville

4.0 out of 5 stars Concise, interesting and easy to read., 2 Aug. 2003
I took this book with me when I went on holiday to Russia a few years ago. Summing up all of Russian history in a small book such as this is a near impossible task. However it does make a fascinating read and explains the unfolding of events in a straightforward manner. My only criticsm is that at times it is too brief. I would have enjoyed a little more on the communist era. However its succinctness is also a practical aid, as these small books fit away easily into a travel bag, allowing you to take them virtually anywhere you decide to visit on your travels. Overall an excellent introduction and overview of Russian history to deepen the experience of your holiday.