Profile for GeoffD > Reviews

Content by GeoffD

GeoffD (Solihull, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8
Adobe Photoshop Elements and Premiere Elements 11 Bundle (PC/Mac)
Adobe Photoshop Elements and Premiere Elements 11 Bundle (PC/Mac)
Offered by Esale Express

5.0 out of 5 stars Photoshop and Premiere Elements, 27 May 2013
I bought this bundle as the cheapest way to acquire Premiere Elements (I have CS5 already). I have used the full version of Premiere in the past (W95) but it is upgradeable to W7 (64bit) only at an exorbitant cost so I had to settle for the 'cut down' version. Despite this it is workable. In a moment of temporary insanity I used my stills camera in video mode - in portrait configuration! I was delighted to find that Premiere could rotate this. The timeline is there and cutting clips is much more accurate than another program I have which insists on sections being 2 seconds long - a difficulty if you are trying to remove just a few frames. I am mainly a stills photographer and so I am sure that Elements will suffice for my needs but if I were to go back to more serious video work then I would strongly consider finding the extra for the full program.

Horrible Histories Annual 2013 (Annuals 2013)
Horrible Histories Annual 2013 (Annuals 2013)
by Horrible Histories

5.0 out of 5 stars Horrible Histories Annual 2013, 27 May 2013
Bought as a gift for my granddaughter who is a fan of the 'Horrible' television programmes. She enjoyed it immensely.

Integral Xpression Birds Design USB Flash Drive 4 GB
Integral Xpression Birds Design USB Flash Drive 4 GB

5.0 out of 5 stars USB Flash Drive, 27 May 2013
Bought as a gift for my granddaughter for use with her homework, so ensuring she could have this with her wherever she went. It has been very useful.

USB Memory Pen Neck Strap
USB Memory Pen Neck Strap
Offered by MyMemory

5.0 out of 5 stars USB Neck Strap, 27 May 2013
Bought as a gift for my granddaughter to go with a coloured USB stick. The colours matched and she loved it!

Adobe InDesign CS5 Classroom in a Book: The Official Training Workbook from Adobe Systems (Classroom in a Book (Adobe))
by Adobe Creative Team

5.0 out of 5 stars InDesign Classroom in a Book, 27 May 2013
I produced documents in MS-Word until I was told that I should use InDesign which was part of my CS5 package but had not been opened! I did not find it intuitive to use and hotkeys do not do what one would expect from a familiarity with other programs. Having said that, where a feature is in, say, Photoshop then the hotkeys follow that convention - logical! This book made sure that the program's idiosyncrasies were explained and understood. A typical chapter will start with a lesson overview and a page showing what is to be achieved. The chapter will then go through the steps needed, in detail and in a clear way. Also most pages have tips or notes in the margins which are helpful. There is a CD with the book which contains the files needed to complete the work detailed. Has it all worked? Very definitely, 'Yes'. I now produce my newsletters exclusively in InDesign. The book is recommended for anyone who needs to get to grips with this program.

Linex Ruler Stainless Steel Imperial and Metric with Conversion Table 600mm Ref Lxesl60

5.0 out of 5 stars Stainless Steel Ruler, 27 May 2013
The ruler was bought to use when icing cakes. The conversion table has not been needed but it is a useful extra. It does the job required.

Dell U2410 24 - inch Widescreen Flat Panel Monitor
Dell U2410 24 - inch Widescreen Flat Panel Monitor

5.0 out of 5 stars Dell U241024, 27 May 2013
I ordered two of these screens, mainly for use with Photoshop, after carrying out a lot of preliminary research. The screens are every bit as good as I hoped. They come pre-calibrated which was appreciated. I use a Spyder for my own calibration and, after a couple of months I recalibrated the screens as the colours can 'drift' on any monitor over this period. One thing I noticed on doing this was that I had to turn down the brightness quite substantially. Initially I was not happy about doing this but I have found that the screens are less tiring to use and the colours still look true. Adjustments are the easiest I have met on any screen, with buttons on the side of each screen and images are very sharp. Highly recommended.

The Middle Temple Murder
The Middle Temple Murder

4.0 out of 5 stars The Middle Temple Murder, 27 May 2013
I did not know what to expect from this book when I ordered it and, from the start, it was clear that it was written some time ago, in 1919, in fact. The main character is a journalist who works closely with the police on the case and they keep him up to date with developments and even ask for his assistance. Imagine a modern detective doing that! Despite the dated style it is an engaging book with a plot is very much of its time but with some twists and turns at the end. An enjoyable read.

Rambling in the Heart of England
Rambling in the Heart of England
by J. Nigel Hay

3.0 out of 5 stars Rambling in the Heart of England, 27 May 2013
This is a good addition to our 'historic' books on the area around Birmingham and Coventry. Although there is no date in the book it appears to have been published around 1946 and so the condition is commensurate with the age of the book with some tears to the dust jacket and bent pages. This is not a book of walks but rather a brief description of the areas covered. It is interesting to see how much some areas have changed in the intervening years. A good addition to the library for anyone who knows the area.

The Jerusalem Puzzle
The Jerusalem Puzzle

4.0 out of 5 stars Jerusalem Puzzle, 27 May 2013
I bought the Kindle edition and I liked the 'travelogue' at the end with pictures I could magnify as needed. The pictures were not as good as those in the previous book and, again, they were black and white. I knew some of the real locations and so could visualize where some of the action was taking place which helped bring the story to life. The story was fast paced, not always credible, but how many of this genre are? It kept me reading though and that is always a good test. I bought this because I liked the first book, The Istanbul Puzzle, which I preferred. There are sufficient 'hooks' for another book if Laurence O'Bryan is so minded. I have not commented on the plot as I do not want to spoil it for future readers. A good way to while away a few hours.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8