Profile for MustIreallyputaname? > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2
Ghost Stories
Ghost Stories

4.0 out of 5 stars The soundtrack to many break-ups, 23 May 2014
This review is from: Ghost Stories (Audio CD)
If you fancy a wallow, this melancholic, peaceful, reflective album is the perfect soundtrack as you stare mournfully into the dregs of your wine glass....but it won't rock the stadium.

Geox Boy's J Savage School Shoe
Geox Boy's J Savage School Shoe
Price: £38.20 - £53.73

5.0 out of 5 stars Tried and tested by two boys over years, 28 April 2014
Quite frankly, you can waste a lot of money buying cheaper shoes more frequently. This brand and this shoe is the only design where each of my boys has outgrown the shoe before it even thinks about falling apart. I just buy the next size up, no other shoe comes near Geox Savage.

Air Storm Zing Shot
Air Storm Zing Shot

1.0 out of 5 stars Broke after 10 mins of gentle use, 25 Dec 2013
This review is from: Air Storm Zing Shot (Toy)
My 7 year old son played with this for 10 minutes before one of the black beads dropped off somewhere in a rugby pitch, meaning that the ball would not hook in. Thus the whole toy was rendered useless after an extremely short period of gentle use.

The Goldfinch
The Goldfinch
by Donna Tartt

3.0 out of 5 stars Nowhere near the punch of The Secret History., 19 Dec 2013
This review is from: The Goldfinch (Hardcover)
My kindle tells me that I have read 39% of this novel. The Secret History had me absolutely gripped from the beginning. It had an ingenious plot and brilliantly drawn characters. Here I feel as if Donna Tartt has had ideas for characters, but doesn't quite know how to weave them into a plot...so she doesn't, or at least not yet and quite frankly, how much longer must a reader wait? For some time I have been asking myself, when is the purpose of this novel going to emerge? The detail is great, the friendships carefully drawn but then abandoned unsatisfyingly. Having just read that the endless descriptions of drug addiction are yet to come, (still on endless descriptions of teenage drunkenness), I am finally going to call it a day. Sorry, but this novel has its brilliant aspects, which can only truly be brought to shine by the polishing cloth of a rigorous editor.

PenAgain Ergosof Pen on Blister Card - Blue
PenAgain Ergosof Pen on Blister Card - Blue
Offered by LPC Stationers

2.0 out of 5 stars Less than 2 weeks' use and broken, 13 Dec 2013
My son is 9 and has hypermobile joints. This pen has improved his handwriting, however, in less than two weeks, the button which allows you to pop the ballpoint shut is not working. The top part keeps popping shut, making the pen useless. For such an expensive pen, I am not pleased.

Americanah
Americanah

3.0 out of 5 stars A novel, or a long-winded political statement?, 10 Aug 2013
This review is from: Americanah (Kindle Edition)
It is strange that Alex Clark of The Guardian describes this book as subtle, because having read 67% of it, I finally feel at absolute saturation point with the discussions about race, all described amply by other reviewers. I had been flagging some time before that, but kept going due to my interest in Ifemelu and Obinze. Now, I have been driven beyond the point of caring.
At first, I thought this novel made some poignant observations and shared insights with those of us, unlikely to have experienced the difficulties of being a black immigrant in America or Britain. They are worth reading. But with each new character come more discussions about race, to the exclusion of all else they could discuss. Is this a novel, or an opportunity to air necessary observations but in the wrong medium? I am not saying that Adichie's message is not important, but as a novel, there is so much that is lacking and for me, the impact of the discussions about race are weakened by their relentless, 'in-your-face', undiluted and lengthy presentation.

The Case of the Good-Looking Corpse: The P. K. Pinkerton Mysteries 2
The Case of the Good-Looking Corpse: The P. K. Pinkerton Mysteries 2
by Caroline Lawrence

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as child appropriate as Roman Mysteries!, 30 Jan 2013
My 8.5 year old son has read many of Lawrence's Roman Mysteries and the first of this Pinkerton series, so he was very eager to get going on this latest story. From his point of view, it is a great story with a gripping plot. As a mother, I find myself twitching at the detailed considerations as to when someone would strangle a victim and when you would use a knife to slit the throat. Prostitutes and all the colour of a rough and ready western town are thrown in too. I can't quite work out what age range this story is aimed at. Even the main character, who is supposed to be only 12 years old, seems a rather unconvincing attempt at putting a child into a grown up role. Why not make Pinkerton an adult and be done with it?
Despite my son's enthusiasm, I won't be buying the next instalment...not until he is 13!

Hexbug Elevation 3D Habitat Electronic Toys
Hexbug Elevation 3D Habitat Electronic Toys

5.0 out of 5 stars Mesmerisingly fun toy, 5 July 2012
We bought the Hexbug Elevation Set and the Battle Bridge Set for our son's 8th birthday, realising that our 6 yr old son would be equally enthralled...and so are we middle-aged parents. In combining the two sets, there are more creative possibilities in the construction phase.
The Battle Bridge is great fun, as you watch two or more bugs slug it out until one falls off, but if you only have that set, there is little else that they can do. The Elevation Set has plenty of track length, which means you can build a good variety of circuits. Be warned that the spiral section of the Elevation set is quite slippery for the Hexbugs to go up, especially if the batteries are not at their peak, so one tends to get a pile up of jibbering bugs at the bottom. It is a little bit one way, especially if an ascending bug meets oncoming downward traffic...no chance.
Although each set comes with two Hexbugs, we bought an extra 4 and I think this makes a big difference to the visual fun of watching so much activity. It also creates more possibilities for amusing encounters. The more, the merrier.
Do have some spare batteries (LR44/AG13) immediately to hand, as two of the Hexbugs conked out after half an hour's play.

The Chimney Corner Collection: 60 Stories in 1 Volume!
The Chimney Corner Collection: 60 Stories in 1 Volume!
by Enid Blyton

5.0 out of 5 stars Tales of good behaviour and friendship being rewarded, 7 Mar 2012
These tales are very popular with our emotionally sensitive 5.5yr old son. Some stories are more imaginative, others simply portray situations familiar to most children (eg a play date where a child has a tantrum on having to go home) and some themes definitely repeat themselves. However, they do reflect a world in which selfish, bad behaviour is ultimately punished and those who seek the right path, or are victims of injustice, triumph. eg Little Billy is kind to Trit-Trot the pony and feeds him carrots. With him, he has 3.5wks of pocket money saved up to buy his mother a birthday present. Along comes bully Harry and steals it from him. The pony escapes from the field, turfs Harry into a mud patch and with his teeth, hauls Harry back to Billy. Harry promptly hands back the money and runs off 'with his tail between his legs'.

This view of the world is very reassuring and satisfying for a small child. The stories are of perfect length for a bedtime read, from 6 pages to 20 pages. Our son does not listen to many stories, as he is rather more inclined towards facts, but these capture him completely.

Ditherus Wart: (Accidental) Gladiator (History of Warts)
Ditherus Wart: (Accidental) Gladiator (History of Warts)
by Alan MacDonald

5.0 out of 5 stars A funny read for children and adults alike, 8 Sep 2011
My 7 year old son has just finished reading this to me. Very few words are difficult to decode, but there is so much humour in the way something is said, that a certain degree of fluency and expression is an advantage. There are wonderful characters which made us both laugh; from the Emperor who doesn't have a clue (he thinks Ditherus' father is off fighting the 'girls' rather than the 'Gauls') to Ditherus' mother, who seems the ultimate airhead, so unaware of the gravity of her son's situation, the humour comes from her inappropriately calm remarks. This is definitely a fun read, either for your child or to him/her.

Page: 1 | 2