Profile for J. Marshall > Reviews

Crucial CT120M500SSD3 120GB M500 mSATA 6Gb/s Internal SSD including Screws
Offered by Inkubus Bargains
Price: 56.87

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic upgrade for laptop., 5 Mar 2014
I installed this into my Lenovo Y500 as the only thing holding the performance back was the hard drive. As this is mSATA, I was able to install it without removing the stock hard drive,
It was pretty straight forward to remove the battery, back panel (little bit more fiddly, but there are guides online) and then insert the mSATA drive and fasten it down with the provided screws (it only took one of them on my system).

The next this I had to do was clone my OS onto the mSATA SSD, which was the more problematic part as I am running Win 8.1 and none of the guides that I found online (or the free software) supported cloning Win 8.1.

After 12 hours of very frustrating trial and error, I discovered 'Paragon Hard Disk Manager 14' which fully supports Win 8.1 and cloned the OS, configured everything for me automatically within half an hour. So I would say save yourself the massive headache I went through and just use this, as it works perfectly.

Now my laptop cold boots in 10 seconds, and wakes from 'sleeping' in 1 second. Other than this, many programs now run/load much faster as a result of this upgrade.

Samsung M3 1TB USB 3.0 Slimline Portable Hard Drive - Black
Samsung M3 1TB USB 3.0 Slimline Portable Hard Drive - Black
Price: 43.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Great so far, 5 Mar 2014
So far this has been a great back-up tool. Data transfer is very fast when connected to a USB3 port. Build quality is fine and the price was great (50 when I bought it).

Arctic Cooling MX-4 4g Thermal Compound
Arctic Cooling MX-4 4g Thermal Compound
Price: 3.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Great stuff, 5 Mar 2014
I got this to reapply the thermal compound in my system, and the temps dropped by 12-15 degrees as a result.Just put the small 'pa' shaped blob on the centre of your CPU and let the pressure of the heatsink spread it evenly across the surface of the CPU and you should be grand.

There are plenty of excellent guides on youtube and the net that will show you how if you don't know, or don't have the confidence. It can be pretty fiddly at times, with certain fan designs.

Manga Studio 5 (PC/Mac)
Manga Studio 5 (PC/Mac)
Offered by Shopper's Saving
Price: 29.24

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic software for digital art creation., 5 Mar 2014
This review is from: Manga Studio 5 (PC/Mac) (DVD-ROM)
I do a lot of work with digital art and I am always looking for more tools. I tried the trial of this program and I was impressed enough to give it a go. It's a very powerful art creation program with a broad range of tools equal to, or exceeding much more expensive programs like Photoshop.

You don't really need the (much more expensive) EX version of this software. The extra features of the EX version are not really useful to me (you can check them out on the smithmicro site).

If you do buy this program, I would also recommend investing a few extra pounds in Frenden's Manga Studio 5 brushes (google is your friend).
There are well over 50 different brushes that he has custom made using the excellent Manga Studio 5 custom brush engine. He has created these tools to have a natural feel, and some of the inking and 'painterly' brushes are by far the nicest I have used. For $10 you can get all of his current brushes. Trust me, you won't regret it.

Besides this program, Artrage is my other main digital art creation tool and it specialises in emulating natural painting mediums, which it does very well.

MSI Nvidia GTX 760 2GB DDR5 PCI-E Graphics Card
MSI Nvidia GTX 760 2GB DDR5 PCI-E Graphics Card
Offered by AVIDES
Price: 192.06

5.0 out of 5 stars Great card for 1080p gaming., 5 Mar 2014
I bought this card as an upgrade from a AMD HD 5850 1GB card that I had been running for 3-4 years. It ran most games great at 1080p, but was starting to struggle with newer games.

This card is about twice as powerful as the HD 5850 and runs pretty much everything I have thrown at it at 60fps, on the highest settings, at 1080p. It's also nice to be able to crank up the 'Physx' settings and not have it cripple performance.
That's all I can really say about performance. It's kills it at 1080p.
If you plan to game in higher resolutions than 1080p, you might want to invest in some of the higher end cards available, but for me, 1080p is grand for the foreseeable future.

The drivers seem a lot more stable than the AMD ones too, which had a tendency to randomly corrupt themselves for no apparent reason. The Nvidia drivers automatically update through 'Geforce experience' which will also configure most of your games to the optimal settings for your specific hardware configuration. It seems to work pretty well.
There is other stuff like integrated Twitch streaming and 'Shadowplay' that will record your gameplay without a performance hit to your fps, though I haven't used either of these yet.

For the price (180 is what I paid), you are getting gaming performance and resolutions that totally leave the nextgen consoles in the dust.

Beechfield Slouch Beanie ONE SIZE COLOUR Black
Beechfield Slouch Beanie ONE SIZE COLOUR Black
Offered by COOZO
Price: 3.29

5.0 out of 5 stars Great slouchy beanie hat., 5 Mar 2014
I bought one of these, and then a week or 2 later I decided to buy another one. Decent beanie hats are hard to find, and these ones are great. Nice material, comfy, and a snug fit. They tend to be a little tight fitting at first, and you might need to pull them down a bit, but after a couple of days of wear they stretch out to fit your head. Then they will shrink back when washed and easily stretch out again.

For the price, these are really nice. Delivery from the seller was very fast as well. Recommended.

Wacom Cintiq 13HD Pen Tablet (German Version)
Wacom Cintiq 13HD Pen Tablet (German Version)

5.0 out of 5 stars Very impressed, 7 Jan 2014
As someone that has used the Intuos4 for a few years, I felt it was time to invest in something more professional.
I shopped around and looked at all of the alternatives (the best being the MS Surface Pro, though it has a smaller screen and less pressure sensitivity) and even considered investing in the more expensive portable Cintiq Companion Hybrid, but in the end, I decided to go with the Cintiq 13HD.

I am really glad that I did as I am very impressed with it. It has the same kind of feel as the Intuos4, but obviously with addition of actually drawing/painting directly onto the screen.

One thing I would say though, is that this device does not have any processing power. It relies 100% on the CPU and graphics processing power of your computer and is nothing more than a secondary monitor that you can draw directly onto, so bear that in mind before you decide to invest in any kind of pen enabled tablet that isn't portable.

My laptop has a core i7 CPU, 8GB of DDR3 1600 RAM and a GT650m 2GB videocard. I have not experienced any lag at all on this machine while using various art programs, but I wouldn't recommend anything less than a Core i5 if you are running it from the CPUs Intel HD graphics, and ideally you would want to have a dedicated graphics card in your machine to ensure a lag free experience.

(Large) Star Wars Mens Fleece Dressing Gown-Jedi
(Large) Star Wars Mens Fleece Dressing Gown-Jedi
Offered by Carnival Cosplay
Price: 20.50

5.0 out of 5 stars This IS the dressing gown I was looking for!, 21 Dec 2013
When I got this dressing gown in the mail this morning and tried it on, my inner nerd-child actually let out a little, excited, involuntary "squeee"...It. Is. Awesome!

For people concerned about the size, I am only 5 foot 8" and it comes right down to where my ankles meet my feet...This is exactly what I was looking for.

It's super comfy, the hood is nice and big too. Lovely and warm.

The only thing I would say that is even remotely negative is that due to the cuffs being so baggy, if you have to use a sink, or counter top, you will want you roll the sleeves up to avoid getting them wet, or messy.

I supposed also, if you are not that tall like me, you might want to be careful that you don't trip up on it while going up stairs as that could be a problem.
If you are under 5 foot 8" or if you would rather not have something that is almost touching the ground, the medium one would probably be perfect for you.

Smudgeguard 2 Black M
Smudgeguard 2 Black M
Offered by didecaf
Price: 29.00

1.0 out of 5 stars Ridiculous price., 7 Dec 2013
Just buy yourself a cheap pair of gloves (or a multi-pack for a few pounds) and customize them with a pair of scissors. I can't believe people are paying such extortionate prices for what amounts to half a glove...

If you took an additional 15 minutes to actually sew a seam around the cut area, your custom made 'smudgeguard' would resist unravelling, plus you would have the satisfaction of knowing that you haven't been ripped off for 30.

I mean, come one! The people buying this product are supposed to be creative, right?

Smudgeguard 2 Black L
Smudgeguard 2 Black L
Offered by didecaf
Price: 29.00

1.0 out of 5 stars Absurd rip-off., 7 Dec 2013

I mean...Come on, people buying this are supposed to be creative, right??

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6