Profile for glitterbug > Reviews

Herbs, Garden & Health Red Henna Powder 250g
Herbs, Garden & Health Red Henna Powder 250g
Offered by Herbs, Gardens & Health

3.0 out of 5 stars It's ok, 23 Jun 2012
Certainly arrived well packaged and in good time. No problem with the supplier at all and also a reasonable price.

the reason I have given this 3 starts is because the henna powder itself was quite gritty. The powder alone before mixed with water/cider vinegar etc., doesn't appear to be gritty but as you mix it you can see that it doesn't mix to a really smooth past - more like fine sand. That had two noticeable effects - it's harder to apply and make sure all of the hair is coated and the resulting colour was slightly less strong than other finer ground henna powder. I will use what I have, but I probably wouldn't buy it again. The easiest and best henna in my opinion is body quality, it's easier to apply, stronger colour, just generally a nicer product - but of course it is more expensive.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 10, 2012 6:41 AM BST

The Alchemist: A Fable About Following Your Dream
The Alchemist: A Fable About Following Your Dream
by Paulo Coelho

4.0 out of 5 stars Look Again, 5 Jun 2012
At first I was surprised at the number of 1 and 2 start reviews, but then again, when I think of the state of the world and the degree of materialism that is now so embedded, perhaps I am not. This book doesn't tell you how to do anything, it doesn't dictate or give you a 'to do' list. So if you are looking for concrete answers you probably won't find them here, but instead it does gives you a glimpse of what it would be like to interpret things you may encounter in a different way; to lose the tunnel vision, to 'look again'.

It seems to me that the author has had a life changing experience at some point and wishes to impart some of his learning to others through a story. It reminds you that whether you believe in fate or not - you still have a choice, everyone has a choice. I am sure that many people will disagree with this but that again depends on where you are in life. So, in essence - this book is a short story, easily readable in a couple of hours, about a Shepherd boy following his dream, that may serve as a reminder to those who are willing to listen that there is more to life than what we actually see and touch; call it the soul of the universe or whatever, but to listen for it because it may help you find what you are looking for.

El Tango Para Violin
El Tango Para Violin

4.0 out of 5 stars A Lovely track, 25 Sep 2010
I think this really is a lovely piece of music. It's starts off mellow then builds up into an energising piece; this decline and build is echoed throughout. To me it's kind of non-tango, tango music. I like the violin to tango to and this track is no exception. There is a strong beat in the background, however the violin creates a melody of it's own which is there for the taking.

Tango Amore
Tango Amore

3.0 out of 5 stars Great violin shame about the vocals, 25 Sep 2010
This review is from: Tango Amore (MP3 Download)
The violin is great, it's energising and a pleasure to listen to and he is a talented guy. The vocals, however, which thankfully, are limited to the words 'Tango Amore' and only occur 3 or 4 times in the whole track, sound really cheesy. Unfortunately you don't hear these when you listen to the preview sound-bite on the mp3 download section, so I didn't know they were there. The track without the vocals would have been much better - luckily I can edit them out.

Call Off the Search
Call Off the Search
Offered by best_value_entertainment

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice in small doses, 21 Aug 2010
This review is from: Call Off the Search (Audio CD)
This album has some good tracks on it and I'm happy listening to it's mellow sounds while I'm driving, however, it's not going to become a favourite with me because of Katie's slightly 'whiny' voice. Other reviewers have said the same thing - the swoop up to the higher notes does start to irritate, and while I think her tone is at times quite enchanting, this one particular 'flaw' upsets the balance of the whole album. As I've said, it's mellow while I'm driving - I just skip over the most irritating tracks and enjoy the rest.

Pa' Bailar
Pa' Bailar
Offered by FastMedia "Ships From USA"

4.0 out of 5 stars Very cheeky, 27 Mar 2010
This review is from: Pa' Bailar (Audio CD)
Being really interested in tango I have some Bajofondo cd's but on the whole was pretty disappointed - until I listened to pa'bailar. What a fantastic little track! It's very cheeky, has a great rhythm and just makes you want to dance! The good thing about this cd is that it is several different versions of the same track and it's amazing how different they are. The maestro version is good milonga, whereas the original I actually use for a tap routine! I'm not keen on one of the styles which is rather long and a bit disco and unfortunately my favourite version with the female vocal isn't included. However, I still really like this cd and I do think that this is the best track that Bajofondo have come up with.

Telepathy: How to Use Your Power of ESP
Telepathy: How to Use Your Power of ESP
by Tom Pearson

2.0 out of 5 stars Not a really a 'how to' book, 27 Mar 2010
The title of this book doesn't actually convey whats inside it. It's not really 'how to' at all, in fact it hardly tells you how to do anything! It describes a variety of things and if you want to read descriptions then that's fine. I didn't. I wanted to read a 'how to' book and unfortunately this book just doesn't cut it.

The Meaning of Tango: The Story of the Argentinian Dance
The Meaning of Tango: The Story of the Argentinian Dance
by Christine Denniston

5.0 out of 5 stars A great little book, 27 Mar 2010
This is a great little book and Christine writes it in a way that is very easy to read. Some books I've read which discuss the history of tango come across as rather dull, which never ceases to amaze me as tango is such a passionate subject! This is not the case for this book however. It is clearly written and easy to understand and really conveys the message of what tango is about - the experience, the communication, the connection, the completeness of the dance and she makes beautiful reference to the 'heart' throughout the book to describe the connection between the two dancers. She also covers the history of the golden age in a really interesting way which leaves the reader wishing they could have been there. She does go into some of the figures, but in all of them she retains the importance of the one to one communication of tango rather than the actual steps the dancer takes (although she does describe the steps as well.) This is bliss for the reader as achieving this is the hardest aspect of the dance and in comparison the steps are easy! It's a holistic view of tango, covering many aspects of the dance and bringing it all together in this little red book. It's well worth reading.

Moving On
Moving On
Offered by best_value_entertainment

3.0 out of 5 stars Quite Klassy, 29 Nov 2009
This review is from: Moving On (Audio CD)
I enjoyed this compilation of music from Myleene, I liked the order of the songs and mainly I like her approach to classical music. However, some beautiful tracks - particularly Pavanne, have possibly been reduced to a type of classical pop song by the electronic backing. I think it does work at times and may bridge the gap between classical and more modern music, but I do feel that some of the elegance and sincerity of the music is lost. Also the constant beat of the electronic backing does make me tire of the music more quickly. I still like the album however and having a traveling job, it offers favourable moments whilst driving.

Bajofondo Tango Club
Bajofondo Tango Club

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad, but not quite what I expected., 6 Jun 2009
This review is from: Bajofondo Tango Club (Audio CD)
Although an amateur I enjoy dancing tango and I'm always looking for more music. When I listened to this album for the first time I was quite disappointed. Usually at first listening one or two tracks stand out as being something special, but with Tango club I didn't feel this was the case. Upon listening to it a few more times I have found some favourites within the album but they have grown on me rather than blasted my socks off! I also found that many of the tracks have a strong disco type beat which is not great if you want to dance Argentine tango to it as the flow of the dance is supposed to be in response to the rhythm of the music. It's not impossible to dance to that's for sure, but it's not the best. The reason I bought this album was because I had heard some of Bajofondo's later stuff and thought it was great - particularly Infiltrado and Pa'bailar. I expected this album to have some similar standard tracks in it, but unfortunately I don't feel it has.

However, I do enjoy the album, I don't have many albums that I think are completely outstanding, so I don't want to appear to harsh. As a group I like their style and I am a great fan of this electro-tango music which brings a new twist to dancing Argentine tango. It's likely that I will buy their later music and give them another go.

Page: 1 | 2