Profile for Mark Barrett > Reviews

Content by Mark Barrett

Mark Barrett "Bazza" (Middlesbrough, England)

Parked Up
Parked Up
by Janet Hunter
Price: 6.73

4.0 out of 5 stars Going To A Go Go, 6 Feb 2014
This review is from: Parked Up (Paperback)
I bought this book just on the cover without knowing anything about it and I'm glad I did. It's a really enjoyable read about a teenager called Annie who gets involved in the scooter scene in the mid 80s. I guess most what I liked about 'Parked Up' was that I could see alot of myself in the book when I was that age, buying a US army parka that was too big for me, dancing to Northern Soul (or at least trying too!), getting my first scooter at 17 (also a Vespa 100) and going on scooter/Mod rallies. I'm guessing that the author Janet Hunter was a scooterist herself(?) and that helps as I've read too many far fetched books on mods & scooterists when this is much more down to earth. I also enjoyed the suggested soundtrack at the beginning of the book but The Lambrettas song does stick out like a sore thumb between all the Motown & Northern Soul tunes, but I can see how the lyrics related to 'Parked Up'. Will there be a follow up book? I'm hoping there will be and I'll be looking out for one.

Ska Anthems
Ska Anthems
Price: 6.35

4.0 out of 5 stars More Rocksteady than Ska, 3 Jun 2013
This review is from: Ska Anthems (Audio CD)
'Ska Anthems' is the title of this 3 CD boxset but there's actually very little ska tunes on it. As most of the tracks are rocksteady tunes from 1966-68, a few later reggae tunes and even some DJ cuts with U-Roy featuring on all 3 discs.

That aside it's a great collection of Jamaican sounds, comes in a nice tin box and at a very decent price. The only problem I have with it (apart from the title) is the Bad Manners track right in the middle of disc 1. Now 'Sally Brown' isn't a bad song although I prefer the Laurel Aitken original but on this collection it just sticks out like a sore thumb!

Reds Strike the Blues-Tribute to the Redskins
Reds Strike the Blues-Tribute to the Redskins
Price: 21.83

5.0 out of 5 stars Take No Heroes Only Inspiration, 24 Mar 2010
A tribute album to the 80s left wing skinhead soul band the Redskins. This CD features bands from England, USA, Italy & the Basque Country all with their own take on Redskins classics. The Redskins may of only released the 1 album 'Neither Washington Nor Moscow' at the time but their influence lives on as this tribute shows.

Personal faves on this album are The Inciters with their excellent cover of the Redskins 2nd single 'Lean On Me', Eric Blowtorch with 'Don't Talk to Me About Whether', 'Names Were Named' by Ned Ludd which was a tune the Redskins played on their 1986 Italian tour but never got round to recording, The Three Johns with the title track 'Reds Strike The Blues', The Old Bailey's 'You Want It? The've Got It!' and 'Unionize' by Negu Gorriak which I'm told is Basque for Red Winter.

Redskins fans should also look out for the CD 'Epilogue' which has just come out on Insurgence Records. This collection features the Redskins early singles for the CNT label, demos, live tracks and 3 songs by the pre-Redskins band No Swastikas.