Profile for D. N. Frew > Reviews

Content by D. N. Frew

D. N. Frew (London)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
iHealth Digital Scales for iPod Touch, iPad 2/3/4/Mini and iPhone 3G/3GS/4/4S/5/5S/5C - White
Price: 37.32

1.0 out of 5 stars so disappointing - seriously, don't waste your money on such a low functionality device., 11 Jun 2014
This is the "wifi scale" known as HS3. This scale measures your weight and if you don't mind fiddling around with your smartphone for about 5 minutes, it can transmit your weight (and ONLY your weight - nothing else) to your phone and save this on the ihealth app in the cloud. Seriously, it would be much much quicker, simpler and convenient to stand on a really cheap set of scales and type the weight into any app where you want to store it.

It appears that iHealth do produce a "body analyser" scale called the HS5 which covers weight, body fat, muscle, bone, body water and "daily calorific intake" (which I assume means basal metabolic rate.) This scale is NOT the HS5 - it only does your weight..

I wish I hadn't wasted my money.

What the **** is Normal?!
What the **** is Normal?!
Price: 4.35

4.0 out of 5 stars Life affirming!, 7 Jun 2014
Her comedy is excellent, but not many jokes in here. However, it's interesting to find out how she felt growing up and how she managed to end up not just funny but happy!

I am deeply troubled by the other books Amazon believe I should buy next.....

Borg 2201 Digital Push Button Door Lock with Holdback in Brass
Borg 2201 Digital Push Button Door Lock with Holdback in Brass
Offered by Comyn Ching Architectural Hardware
Price: 28.50

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for the side gates to my house, 1 Jun 2014
Very pleased that I don't have to carry around an extra set of keys to get through my side gates with my bike. You get a lock code with each lock, but you can change it - make sure you don't drop any of the spare parts: tool to remove lock clicks and a spare click or two.

These are excellent locks, but I think they are tricky to fit - I got a carpenter to fit mine. Too much drilling and cutting and fitting for me. Of course, the same would be true of any lock, so you can't blame Borg.

The Great Stink of London: Sir Joseph Bazalgette and the Cleansing of the Victorian Metropolis
by Stephen Halliday
Price: 10.49

4.0 out of 5 stars We who knew that flushing toilets would cause such problems., 1 Jun 2014
This is a bit of a specialist book - probably not for general readers, but if you are interested in the history of London's sewers, buy this !
Until 1815 it was illegal to put your toilet waste into the sewer in London - the drains were for rainwater only. Every house had a cesspit and paid a shilling to have it emptied periodically. Then they invented the flushing toilet (are changed the law to allow you to use the sewers) and by 1858 the Thames stank so badly Parliament was suspended because they couldn't bear to be so close to the Thames.
The solution was a series of sewers build under the Embankment by Joseph Bazalgette. .. (and his descendant brought us the TV show Big Brother - not in the book)

Rybond Premium Notepad Spiral Headbound Ruled 160 Pages Note Pad 125x200mm [Pack 5]
Offered by Rybond
Price: 5.46

4.0 out of 5 stars Good pads and decent quality paper, 1 Jun 2014
No concerns about these, I'm not sure about"premium", but they are good quality paper, so go on - buy loads of them! They are really good value for money.

Default
Default
Price: 0.89

5.0 out of 5 stars I love this track, 1 Jun 2014
This review is from: Default (MP3 Download)
This is a very catchy track. Once I shazzam'd it I had to buy it.
Curiously it was about 30p cheaper of this compilation album and I didn't particularly care for the rest of Django Django album.

HOMCOM RATTAN OUTDOOR GARDEN FURNITURE SET WICKER WEAVE CONSERVATORY SOFA PATIO 4PC Fire Resistance Cushion BROWN
Offered by MHSTAR
Price: 314.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Tremendous value for money - so pleased with this., 1 Jun 2014
Arrived packed in 3 fairly large boxes. Easy to unpack and instructions are pretty simple. Two comfortable armchairs, a decent sized double sofa and a small table. It even comes with seat and back cushions s=for each seat and two green casual cushions as shown in the photo. I am really impressed!

It did take me nearly three hours to assemble, but at this price it's worth it. It came with a tiny 10mm spanner and 4mm allen key, but you REALLY want to have a proper spanner (combination spanner or even ratchet spanner) and a selection of adapters for a 4mm hex/allen set. Generally there is no space for you to fit in any Power tools.

Let's Dance (Live)
Let's Dance (Live)
Price: 0.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Great link for my cover versions of both songs, 11 May 2014
This review is from: Let's Dance (Live) (MP3 Download)
Let's Dance is the title of two different songs: Bowie's 1983 album and signle and Chris Montez's 1962 signle. Here Bowie and Tina Turner merge the two together - good cover of both versions.

Let's Dance
Let's Dance
Price: 0.79

4.0 out of 5 stars Quite different, but I like it, 11 May 2014
This review is from: Let's Dance (MP3 Download)
I like cover versions and this is one of the stand out covers of Chris Montez's 1962 hit. This is a very bright and pop-y version.

I had never heard of Anna - a Swedish singer - and to be honest I can't be bothered searching out anyhting else by her.

Modern Vampires of the City
Modern Vampires of the City
Price: 7.49

4.0 out of 5 stars Patchy, 11 May 2014
I loved both previous albums (Vampire Weekend and Contra) with all tracks on both albums firmly in my top rated playlists. This album is not as consistent. I love Diane Young, Ya Hey, Finger Back, Worship You and Unbelievers. Diane Young is probably in my top 10 tracks ever.
However, Hudson is awful (1-star - firmly flagged for deletion if I run short of disk space.) and six other tracks I gave 2 stars, meaning I never want to hear them again.
I thought of gong back to listen to them again so I could write a more in depth review, but instead I have just put the five 5-star tracks on repeat. Life is too short to listen to music you hate.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4