Profile for Dr Pooky Knightsmith > Reviews

Content by Dr Pooky Knigh...

Dr Pooky Knightsmith "Pooky" (London)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9
Postman Pat and the Pink Slippers
Postman Pat and the Pink Slippers
by Thea Devine

5.0 out of 5 stars One you won't get tired of!, 9 Oct. 2012
Just the right length for a longish bed time read. Great pictures and a fun storyline. My two year old girls have insisted on having this read to them night after night, and unlike many of their other favourites, we've not tired of this one yet!

Amelia Bedelia Helps Out (My First I Can Read Book)
Amelia Bedelia Helps Out (My First I Can Read Book)
by Peggy Parish

4.0 out of 5 stars Great fun for little ones!, 9 Oct. 2012
My two year old daughter loves to have fun with language and thinks it is strange how we use all sorts of words that mean other things - like 'drawing the curtains'. Amelia Bedelia has the same fun with language resulting in her doing all sorts of strange jobs to help out at home. My daughter really enjoyed it though the book isn't really sturdy enough for one so young. Probably best for 4+

Skills-based Learning for Caring for a Loved One with an Eating Disorder: The New Maudsley Method

5.0 out of 5 stars Practical, helpful guidance for family and friends, 9 Oct. 2012
This book is a hugely practical guide that offers family and friends of eating disorders sufferers sound advice on how they can most effectively support their loved one during the recovery process.

Living with someone with an eating disorder can be terrifying, frustrating, upsetting and anxiety ridden. This book recognises all of that and takes a look at practical ways in which the family can support the sufferer through more effective and caring communication using methods that have been developed and proved through research at the internationally renown Maudsley Hospital.

I would highly recommend this book - and promise that despite it's slightly text-booky appearance it is very accessible and not a heavy read, though it is full of information and ideas.

Practitioners may be interested in the partnering book The Clinician's Guide to Collaborative Caring in Eating Disorders: The New Maudsley Method

Early Learning Flash Cards (Brighter Child Flash Cards)
Early Learning Flash Cards (Brighter Child Flash Cards)
by Carson Dellosa
Edition: Toy

4.0 out of 5 stars Great value and great fun, 4 July 2012
This set offered great value. I have struggled to find basic flash cards for very young children but this answered all my needs (and more!) all at once. At the moment I am just using them to help sort out confusions between colours and shapes, but they are rapidly becoming a much loved learning tool for my girls and I can imagine as they get older these cards will be instrumental in helping them to read their first words.

Baby Zoo Animals Stamp Set
Baby Zoo Animals Stamp Set

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for little hands, 4 July 2012
This review is from: Baby Zoo Animals Stamp Set (Toy)
These stampers are fantastic. They come beautifully packaged (would make a lovely gift for a boy or a girl) they are robust and stand up to the worst that a two year old can throw at them. My two year olds are able to use them with ease creating clear zoo animal stamps, but they would also be suitable for much older children too. We also really liked the farm animals set. Melissa & Doug Baby Farm Animals Stamp Set

Clubhouse Collection [With Sticker(s)] (Mickey Mouse Clubhouse)
Clubhouse Collection [With Sticker(s)] (Mickey Mouse Clubhouse)
by Inc. Disney Enterprises

4.0 out of 5 stars My two year olds loved these books, 4 July 2012
My two year old girls are big fans of Mickey Mouse Clubhouse and had asked me to buy them a Mickey book. I found it surprisingly hard to find something suitable, but these books are great. They are very similar to the TV programme and go through the same sequence of events, and there are opportunities for your little one to think of answers to questions (like with the programme).

These are great value, the one thing that would make them even better for little hands is if they could be a little more robust. I can see we may need to buy a second set eventually, though at this price, I can't really complain!

Wooden Baby Farm Animals Stamp Set
Wooden Baby Farm Animals Stamp Set

4.0 out of 5 stars Great fun for toddlers, 4 July 2012
My two year old girls love these stampers and have had a lot of fun with them. They are very robust and easy to use for little hands. The farm animals print clearly and really encouraged my girls to talk about their trips to the farm. Recommended for 2+ - and probably suitable for children far older too as they are great quality and not babyish at all.

They also come very nicely packaged and look more expensive than they are, so a nice gift idea too - with the advantage of being suitable for boys or girls.

Time Out London for Children: 2012 edition
Time Out London for Children: 2012 edition
by Time Out Guides Ltd

3.0 out of 5 stars Great but out of date, 4 July 2012
This is a fantastic guide which has opened my eyes to all sorts of new (and often free) places. However, I have been very frustrated by how out of date it is. It majors on the Olympics so I assumed it was a 2012 edition, so imagine my embarrassment when I traipsed halfway round London with two excited two year olds to visit a 'Tiger that came to tea' exhibition which finished LAST September - not this September as I had thought.

If it were full of this year's dates, I'd give it five stars and I'll snap up a copy of the next edition the moment it comes out.

Bodum LATTEO Milk Frother (Glass Handle, Heat Resistant, 0.25  L/8 oz) - Black
Bodum LATTEO Milk Frother (Glass Handle, Heat Resistant, 0.25 L/8 oz) - Black
Offered by Goods goods goods goods goods

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for 'Babycinos', 4 July 2012
I bought this for making "babycinos" and they come out perfect every time. I froth whole milk for thirty seconds and then heat to the desired temperature. It also makes great cappuccino but my two year old girls are less interested in that!

Enjoy!

The New Relationship Marketing: How to Build a Large, Loyal, Profitable Network Using the Social Web
by Mari Smith

5.0 out of 5 stars One of those books that just feels like common sense, 6 Dec. 2011
I was recently recommended `The New Relationship Marketing' by Mari Smith as a book which might give me some good pointers in my new role (social media communications manager at the TES).

Having been recruited into the role on the basis of my engagement with the education community rather than following any formal training, or similar roles, I was very keen to see what Mari Smith had to say.

And I think it's fair to say that I learnt a lot - both in terms of things which will be useful for my role but also in terms of building my personal social media presence which was something I had completely neglected prior to reading the book.

Mari writes in an easily readable and highly engaging style. She makes the aims of each chapter clear, provides you with homework and always summarises the key learning points at the end of each chapter. It's a set up that works particularly well as it will make the book a great reference point for some time to come - I will be able to check back to the chapter summaries and see how I'm doing.

The book focuses on how you to build relationships online - real deep and meaningful relationships which are enjoyable and useful for all parties - Mari explores how you can build these relationships by utilising a variety of social media channels, though facebook and twitter are the two she majors on most heavily, and she uses real examples from her own career to illustrate how each of the techniques she outlines can harbour results in terms of achieving your business, and sometimes your personal goals.

One of the great things about this book is that despite the huge amount of information conveyed, it feels like light reading because it is written so well. I read it on my Kindle on the commute to and from work over a couple of weeks and I felt like I had Mari sitting right there next to me talking me through her ideas. In fact, I kind of did at some points as a couple of times I tweeted her to ask further questions and she tweeted me right back. That was a first for me and both added to my understanding of the book and also embodied the powerful messages that Mari was illustrating in her book about building relationships everywhere you go and treating everyone equally. She didn't know me from Adam, I'm unlikely to be a huge asset to her social network but her taking the time out to respond to my questions impressed me and combined with her sage advice has ultimately compelled me to recommend her to my network. It's also unlikely I'll forget Mari in a hurry.

This is one of those books that just feels like common sense. At no point does Mari come up with an idea that's totally out of left field and leaves you thinking `wow' or what the?!! Instead she gently leads you through a very common sense approach. You find yourself constantly thinking `what a good idea' or `I really should have thought of that' and occasionally `I'm already doing that - and it's working really well' <cue smug feeling. Whatever stage you're at you're likely to learn something from Mari about building your relationships, making them work for you and ensuring that you're a valuable asset to other people's networks too.

The people who will find this book most useful of all are those people who are either sole traders or networking online to promote their own business or persona. There is also a huge amount to be learnt by anyone working within social media or who has an interest in establishing their online presence. My latest blog ([...]), my new twitter account (@PookyH) and the fact I have, for the first time ever, had professional headshots taken were all direct responses to reading this book. So thank you Mari. Highly recommended.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9