Profile for Victoriana_Mad > Reviews

Content by Victoriana_Mad

Victoriana_Mad "AJS" (Coulsdon, Surrey, UK)

Page: 1 | 2
Busy Baby (Touchy-feely Snuggletime)
Busy Baby (Touchy-feely Snuggletime)
by Fiona Watt
Edition: Board book

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for bedtimes, 22 May 2013
My daughter loves all the Usbourne touchy-feely books and this one is perfect for reading before bed (or anytime!). They're sturdy and a good size for sharing with baby.

Crocs Unisex Adult Classic Clogs - Black (Black), 5 UK Men/6 UK Women (38-39 EU)

4.0 out of 5 stars Ideal for round the house, 22 May 2013
I already had one pair of Crocs which I used for going out into the garden and decided it would be useful to also have an 'indoor' pair (as my daughter is a little too fond of chewing them). I know they are not great looking shoes, but for comfort and ease they are perfect. Others have commented on sizing, which I agree with - it would be great if Crocs could standardise their sizing.

The Crow Road
The Crow Road
by Iain Banks

5.0 out of 5 stars Enter the world of Prentice McHoan, 21 Jun. 2009
This review is from: The Crow Road (Paperback)
This is only the second Iain Banks novel that I have read, the first being The Wasp Factory. Consequently, I really wasn't sure what to expect - would this be similarly dark and psychological? In some ways, yes, but essentially it is a sweeping family saga, crossing three (and almost four) generations. Despite the interweaving threads and movements back and forwards in time, Iain Banks' writing makes the story easy to follow. This is partly due to the strongly drawn characters; each is distinctive and memorable without resorting to caricature. What I loved most was the shifts between comedy, pathos, tragedy and suspense, all carefully orchestrated and never jarring. For me, it was a book that totally drew me in and I thoroughly looked forward to escaping into it on my commute to and from work each day.

Vile Bodies (Penguin Modern Classics)
Vile Bodies (Penguin Modern Classics)
by Evelyn Waugh

5.0 out of 5 stars Vile bodies that intrigue..., 12 July 2008
When I read Brideshead Revisted I had begun to wonder why Evelyn Waugh was so highly regarded. Vile Bodies answered the question perfectly. His creation of characters is beautiful and effortless and he handles humour and pathos with great skill. The narrative style is simple, and varied, keeping the reader interested throughout. What I found most compelling about the book was how Waugh excellently balanced the frivolous and vacuous lives of the Bright Young Things with the serious issues of their lifestyle and the world which they lived in. I enjoyed the novel from beginning to end, grew to love the characters whilst despairing of their shallow partying lifestyles, seeing what was ahead of them and pitying them.

The Meaning of Night
The Meaning of Night
by Michael Cox

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning and satisfying, 29 Jun. 2008
This review is from: The Meaning of Night (Paperback)
What a great novel - thoroughly absorbing and a real page turner. The characters are so well drawn and you feel yourself being completely sucked into the world Cox creates. There's enough scandal, intrigue and romance to keep lovers of each interested and it never feels to amaze or amuse.
I will certainly be investigating Cox's other novels, and I can't help thinking that I won't be disappointed!

Oscar Wilde and the Candlelight Murders: Oscar Wilde Mystery: 1
Oscar Wilde and the Candlelight Murders: Oscar Wilde Mystery: 1
by Gyles Brandreth

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable romp, 29 Jun. 2008
Now, I don't know how much of the story is based on truth (were Wilde and Conan-Doyle good friends?) but the thing I enjoyed most about this novel, apart from it being set in my favourite period, was that it had the sense of a well researched factional novel. You get the impression that Brandreth enjoyed writing this novel, and that he devoted time to getting the details correct. It's not a particularly literary book, but I don't think that was the intention. It's a great little holiday novel, or one to read on your commute. The type of book that I enjoyed immensely and look forward to the next in the series, but not one I would buy in hardback and I probably won't hold on to the paperback...

Gallows View (The Inspector Banks series)
Gallows View (The Inspector Banks series)
by Peter Robinson

3.0 out of 5 stars Regional Detective, 29 Jun. 2008
The thing about the Inspector Banks' novels is that they are nothing you haven't read before. You know the score right from the beginning - ageing detective with great track record, moves to a new area, slightly troubled home life, likes a drink but he's a great guy. For all that though, there is something about Inspector Banks that is interesting and Gallow's View, the first in the series, moves at a good pace. It's still a page-turner and the characters and plot are believable. I will read more of these, and I will enjoy reading them, because the quality of writing and storytelling is solid and enjoyable.

The Light Years (Cazalet Chronicles)
The Light Years (Cazalet Chronicles)
by Elizabeth Jane Howard

5.0 out of 5 stars Totally absorbing, 29 Jun. 2008
This is the first book by Elizabeth Jane Howard that I have read and I loved every moment of it. The pace never slackens and I found myself wasting no opportunity to settle down and read some more. Although there are so many characters they are all so well drawn that they do not become confused. They are all likeable people, despite their flaws and foibles. What struck me most was that I actually cared about what happened to each and every one of them. The period details are not laboured but the atmosphere is unmistakeable. Can't wait for the sequel to be delivered to see what happens to the fascinating Cazalets next.

Can You Keep A Secret?
Can You Keep A Secret?
by Sophie Kinsella

3.0 out of 5 stars Perfect quick reading, 20 May 2003
This review is from: Can You Keep A Secret? (Paperback)
This is the first Sophie Kinsella book I had read and, whilst I really enjoyed reading it, there is very little substance to it. It is typical of the 'chick-lit' genre and really doesn't offer anything new. The plot is transparent and yet I still found myself swept away in the romance - helped greatly by the cracking humour! I read it in a day and in some ways was left wanting more! It's an ideal holiday read, or certainly for the journey to your holiday! The type of book I would borrow rather than buy, I'm afraid.

Poor Souls
Poor Souls
by Joseph Connolly

5.0 out of 5 stars Early Connolly, 20 May 2003
This review is from: Poor Souls (Paperback)
This is the book that got me hooked on Joseph Connolly. Written in a slightly less 'stream of consciousness' style than some of his later work, it is easy to read and the humour is spot on - making you cringe and nod vehemently in recognition. A good introduction to the comic genius of Connolly, for all those who love Kingsley Amis!

Page: 1 | 2