Profile for tommyboo > Reviews

Elvis At Sun
Elvis At Sun
Price: 5.47

5.0 out of 5 stars . . . . . . ' I SING LIKE NOBODY ', 3 Feb 2012
This review is from: Elvis At Sun (Audio CD)
That was Elvis' reply in 1954 when he was asked who he sang like as he walked into Sun Studios before laying down the first world changing tracks.

And he wasn't kidding. He really didn't sound like anybody.

The tracks 19 year old Presley recorded at Sun Studios in Memphis Tennessee were mostly blues and country songs he had listened to while growing up in Tupelo and Memphis. But when you compare his versions with the original records, they are DIFFERENT. Elvis revamped and energised those tracks like a demon on fire. They sounded completely NEW and turbo-charged.

There was nothing wrong with the original songs of course but this good looking blue-eyed hyper with a strange magnetic voice injected adrenaline into every syllable. And he did it with just his own battered acoustic guitar, Scotty Moore on electric guitar, Bill Black on stand-up bass, and later, the most basic of drums played by D J Fontana.

And that's it. The fuse was lit and the world's not been the same since - Elvis Presley turned it upside down and set it on fire. Songs like That's All Right Mama, Mystery Train, Good Rockin' Tonight, and an electrifying Tryin' To Get To You still bleed today.

Reviewing each track is pointless but I can state that even though I was many years from being born, I am transported back to the mid 50s with every single track. I can even hear the freight trains and smell the tennessee swamps. It is no overstatement to suggest that music history was rewritten with just these recordings.

If you were forced to throw away your entire CD collection but allowed to keep just one, then this is the one to keep. Because this is:

. music history in the actual making.
. the very beginning of modern day pop and rock.
. the music that kicked down race barriers.
. the man who gave teenagers an identity.
. the man who literally changed American and western culture.

This IS Elvis Presley.

Buried [Blu-ray]
Buried [Blu-ray]
Dvd ~ Ryan Reynolds
Price: 10.11

4.0 out of 5 stars C A P T I V A T I N G !, 29 Jan 2012
This review is from: Buried [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
A well made 2010 film, with a difference. A guy buried in a wooden box. But he's alive - that's the difference! And that terrifying scenario makes up the entire film. Yes, the entire film!! But I was 'captivated' for that duration. And I really couldn't wait to get to the end.

I found myself closing my eyes and stopping my breath for as long as I could, trying to feel what the guy was going through. Cremation came to mind several times as a preferred method of eventual disposal. Anything but the horrifying risk of being buried alive.

Not a film that one can watch more than once (or twice if you're stuck on a desert island), but I still suggest that you see it, unless you suffer from severe claustrophobia or depression, in which case decline all offers at all cost.

One thing is for sure though - you will thank God for your existence after seeing this. Your complaints about life in general will subside too (for a while though), 'cos you now know that things could be much much worse.

Another certainty is that you will not forget this film. It will haunt you for a long time. Have fun!

Girls! Girls! Girls! [DVD]
Girls! Girls! Girls! [DVD]
Offered by PickleTickle
Price: 11.99

3.0 out of 5 stars A GOOD CATCH !, 19 Jan 2012
This review is from: Girls! Girls! Girls! [DVD] (DVD)
I like this 1962 film. With a title like that you know it's going to be at least a fun movie. Certainly not one of Elvis' best, but not as bad as some that he was to starr in later.

Without going into the very light hearted plot much, be prepared to have ninety minutes of sun, sea, and song. Lots of girls too. Elvis, a deep sea fisherman more passionate about the boat he works on than the many girls he encounters everywhere he goes. But wait, there's more. There is a story line in there too, and fantastic scenery to boot (other than the girls of course). Oh and Elvis performs an interesting dance scene with his lady.

As you might expect, there are many 'made to fit' songs in this movie. Not the real Elvis songs of course, but songs manufactured strictly for the plot with the exception of Return to Sender. And the song titles are worse than the actual songs. I honestly enjoyed them (and I am a rock and R&B fan). I even found the ill-famed Song of the Shrimp endearing. A sweet and simple story of a shrimp sung with a soft Calypso beat on a boat. You can even see Elvis shake his head in disbelief and almost throws his guitar into the sea as he sings this song, but I actually like it. I admit: I LIKE SONG OF THE SHRIMP !!! There, it's off my chest now and I feel better for saying it.

It is worth reminding ourselves that Elvis did not write the scripts or the songs. Hollywood did. Anything you don't like about any of Elvis' legendary movies, blame Hollywood. But mostly blame his greedy over-bearing manager, 'col' Tom Parker. He put all the deals together!

Another bit of info about the movie, did you know that Jackie Wilson (a great soul singer to the uninitiated) was off-camera and sitting in the audience while they were filming the Return to Sender song scene? Elvis admired him much and even copied some of his dance moves for fun in the scene. You can even see Elvis turning towards him and laughing with every one of these moves.

Anyway, an all round pleasant film with Elvis looking his early 1960s best. And at the price they're offering this DVD, what the heck are you waiting for?

Recommended.

GEMINI RM-3 Mt recorders Portable recorder
GEMINI RM-3 Mt recorders Portable recorder

1.0 out of 5 stars Faulty !!!, 14 Jan 2012
I gladly sent for the Ikey RM-3 when I read what it can do, and it arrived just a couple of days before my departure back to my country of residence. I couldn't wait to transfer my cd collection, or capture our amateur singing nights, onto SD cards.

So imagine my horror when I got back and discovered the damn thing faulty !!

The problem: It plays a pre-recorded SD card normally but records onto SD cards with horrible distortion. I tried every possible means and variation, such as recording from various sources and switching SD cards and so on - all to no avail. Every recording suffered from unbalanced, fluctuating, muffled and greatly distorted sound. I even had an electronics engineer examine it, and he confirmed it was a manufacturer's fault. Grrrrrreat!

I couldn't believe my bad luck. I carried the RM-3 all the way from England, only to be gravely infuriated (didn't even claim back the VAT). Where is the supposed production quality control?? Don't these companies test their products before swamping the marketplace? To make matters worse, I don't have any trips scheduled back to England soon, so have missed the 'return by' date. Still, it will be used as a player only, so not completely redundant.

Lesson learnt: Test what you buy IMMEDIATELY.

Lenovo Z370 13.3 inch Laptop (Intel Core i3 2310M 2.1GHz, RAM 4GB, HDD 500GB, DVDRW, WLAN, Webcam, BT, Windows 7 Home Premium) - Black/Silver

5.0 out of 5 stars LOVE AT FIRST BYTE !, 13 Jan 2012
My new Lenovo Z370 is my new best friend. In simple terms, we are now almost inseparable!

It all started with my quest for a 13 inch screen notebook, with minimum requirements of 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD, webcam, DVDRW, and wireless connectivity, but I had a flexible budget of 500 in mind. I browsed that spec on Amazon as well as others and, lo and behold, this Lenovo came up as a candidate. It had all the spec I wanted and much more, all for even less than I had loosely budgeted. After researching Lenovo I went for it.

Within a couple of days I realised I had a winner. Fast, light and portable, beautiful to look at, and does all that it is meant to do flawlessly. Battery duration and start up speed (ready and waiting in less than a minute) together with a clever mousepad impressed me more than anything. For the time being I mainly use it for internet work and play, and storing my music collection, personal pictures and videocam archive.

With four months of hitch-free daily use since purchase, I can now confidently recommend this wonderful laptop.

Elvis
Elvis
by Susie Behar

3.0 out of 5 stars E v S i L, 29 Aug 2011
This review is from: Elvis (Hardcover)
When you buy a book, you expect accuracy don't you? You could forgive one or two errors, but this book is riddled with date and factual errors. They appear intermittently throughout the book - mostly on dates and photo information. Unforgivable for such a BIG, beautiful, and well presented hardback!

But if you won't mind the numerous and misleading errors, the pictures alone will thrill you.

Flaming Star [DVD]
Flaming Star [DVD]
Offered by best_value_entertainment
Price: 6.99

4.0 out of 5 stars ' .... AND THE BEST ACTOR AWARD GOES TO - EL .... ', 28 Jun 2011
This review is from: Flaming Star [DVD] (DVD)
What? No girls? No beautiful girls in an Elvis Presley movie?? How can that be? So what is an Elvis movie without the girls?

These are the questions you will ask yourself when you are watching this film. The fact is that this is just a great movie, with Elvis being called upon to act. And he really throws himself into his role as a half breed. Set in the late 1800s, this is a genuine old style western movie that everyone will enjoy.

Don't expect much singing though, 'cos Elvis only sings a couple of minor songs made to fit the story.

If you want to see a really good serious Elvis movie, then don't miss this.

Blue Hawaii [DVD] [1961]
Blue Hawaii [DVD] [1961]
Price: 3.70

4.0 out of 5 stars BLUE ALOHA, 26 Jun 2011
This review is from: Blue Hawaii [DVD] [1961] (DVD)
Beautiful scenery + Gorgeous girls + Great music + Fun plot + Elvis Presley = = = = BLUE HAWAII

No bonus features, but excellent picture and sound quality.

Confidently recommended.

Promised Land
Promised Land
Price: 6.00

5.0 out of 5 stars PROMISED AND DELIVERED !, 11 May 2011
This review is from: Promised Land (Audio CD)
This CD is a merger of two '70s albums. The first ten songs are from Promised Land (released in 1975) while the remaining tracks are made up from the Good Times album. They are from a December 1973 Stax recording session and both made fair chart mileage.

This collection represents one of the finest Presley releases of the '70s. Both albums featured a new, more mature Elvis, and a heavenly voice to match that maturity. The voice just reaches out and commands you to listen. Complementing this vocal magic was the new direction in material Elvis chose to take.

Though Elvis was now leaning more towards country and biographical balads, the opener PROMISED LAND just rocks you to attention, bluntly reminding you that he's still the master. The tracks then quickly flow, with the beautiful HONKY TONK ANGEL and the inspirational HELP ME being my favourites on this CD. The others are equally magnificent, especially the highly emotional IT'S MIDNIGHT, which sounds like a dedication to his ex-wife Priscilla.

The remaining tracks are from the very diverse Good Times album, released in 1974. Wistful songs such as TAKE GOOD CARE OF HER and LOVING ARMS hint at his just settled divorce, while a spine tingling SPANISH EYES is a demonstration of Elvis excelling himself vocally. And we also get a teaser sampling of his rockabilly origins with a brilliant delivery of TALK ABOUT THE GOOD TIMES. Then in keeping with the times, Elvis throws in a great 70s style funk number.

You'll treasure this collection for the rest of your days. To appreciate what I'm saying, listen to it a few times alone and on a good sound system. Once you have done that, get Presley's next output: ELVIS TODAY. You can thank me later!

Genius COLOURPAGE-SF600 Scanner USB
Genius COLOURPAGE-SF600 Scanner USB
Price: 68.69

5.0 out of 5 stars GET IT, EVEN IF YOU DON'T NEED ONE !, 9 May 2011
Having used this scanner for three years, I just cannot imagine work without it now.

- Small enough to fit into a crowded desk drawer or computer bag.
- It scans with speed and quality.
- Does not require electricity, charging, or batteries.
- Just one cable - from scanner into your computer USB. No other cables.
- Scans up to A4 size documents.
- Stores neatly and quickly into its own soft suede pouch when not required.

What more do I need? I love it.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11