Profile for Terry Tozer > Reviews

Content by Terry Tozer

Terry Tozer "TJSKA.com" (Reading & Bracknell, UK)

Page: 1-10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21-30
A Technique for Producing Ideas (McGraw-Hill Advertising Classic)
A Technique for Producing Ideas (McGraw-Hill Advertising Classic)
by James Young

5.0 out of 5 stars Just FIVE simple steps....., 3 Oct. 2007
......that's all it takes to learn how to come up with new & creative ideas, time after time. As Young says, the idea & the technique itself are so plain & logically simple that you may even miss it; despite the fact that the book is only some 48 pages long. It's easy to read & in your haste to learn "the secret" you may finish the book too quickly. Some thoughtful reading is required, so please don't dismiss the book because of its apparent brevity.

The fact that the book has survived successfully for over 40 years in print is testament to Young unique (but not new) teaching.

Although Young does not refer to it, I am reminded of many writers & books that go into great detail explaining the "science of the mind" & the wonderful way the brain [or mind] works & how it can be used to spawn new ideas & create solutions to problems. Sometimes referred to Mental Science, its philosophy & teachings go back thousands of years & weren't fully recognised until around the time of the 1900's.

If after reading this you wish to develop & research this technique further, I would highly recommend Emmet Fox's "Power Through Constructive Thinking".

Goals! How to Get Everything You Want - Faster Than You Ever Thought Possible
Goals! How to Get Everything You Want - Faster Than You Ever Thought Possible
by Brian Tracy

5.0 out of 5 stars ..........and Finally, 3 Oct. 2007
....at last I really do think I've found the book I've been looking for & if you're reading this & thinking will "this one" help "me" achieve my aims at getting my life on the move to becoming successful - then I say unequivocally - YES!!, this is the one for you.

I've read hundreds of so-called self-help books both modern & old and Brian Tracy's "Goals" sums up ALL of the books I've ever read on the subject. It's like a hundred books all in one covering everything from Motivation, Confidence, Time Management, Self Belief & Worth & oh yes & how to set realistic & achievable Goals!

The beauty with all of these requisites for success is that we all have these qualities to one degree or another & Brian inspires us by telling us that any one of these attributes is "learnable". So no matter where you find yourself today on what "may appear" to be a long road, you can start straight away.

This ought to be the very last book you buy on the subject, but before you read (& more importantly re-read) it, make sure you have a fresh note-book (preferably A4) & scribe to hand. The book is jam packed with all the essential information to kick you off in the right direction the minute you start reading. If you feel you really must do some more research then there is an extensive bibliography at the back.

The book ends with a summery of the 21 successful tips in setting & achieving these goals. Also there is a summery to be found at the end of each chapter for easy future reference.

Written in a modern, clear, interesting, easy readable style & language. It's broken down into easily digestible chunks in such a way that makes you want to read a little bit more. You never stop learning & it's never too late to start [something new].

Don't be put off or judge the book by the BOLD but plain looking & unattractive cover. It's Brian's message that counts & he very cleverly uses famous quotes from the Greats of the past.

If you enjoy Brian Tracy's style, you will also enjoy his other book which compliments "Goals!" very well: Maximum Achievement: Strategies and Skills That Will Unlock Your Hidden Powers to Succeed

The Gift of Fear: Survival Signals That Protect Us from Violence
The Gift of Fear: Survival Signals That Protect Us from Violence
by Gavin de Becker
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

5.0 out of 5 stars Prevention is Better that a Cure!!, 30 Sept. 2007
Of all the books on Self Defence & Conflict Management/Resolution that I have ever read, THIS one has to be the very best. The fact that it has lasted so long in print & stood the test of time is its best testimonial; I've not seen a negative review about it yet.

A couple of honest points first. There are too many references to other books & authors for my liking - a larger bibliography would have made reading easier. Also, there a many times De Becker mentions "....& I'll covering such & such in more detail in chapter so & so). These niggles are minor compared to the nature of its important & potentially life saving content.

Something that would have made this interesting & fascinating book easier to refer back to would have been more sub-headings, highlighting & bullet points, perhaps even summary points at the end of each chapter.

This is a huge reference manual that ought to take a prominent place in any self-defence instructors book shelf.

They say - "Prevention is better than Cure" & so the main theme throughout is not finding yourself in a situation that could end up in some form of nasty conflict with an adversary that you would certainly not want to confront or fight. So instead of waiting for an attack to happen & then have to deal with the inevitable & nasty consequences of fighting, De Becker teaches us using many useful explanations about the use of intuition & how to recognise & nurture it. More importantly he tells us that we need to pay more attention to our intuition, gut feelings, hunches & suspicions. This he does very successfully by giving us the signals to look for in others, that we ought to be wary of & who may become dangerous; thus we avoid getting into difficulties.

The skills necessary to do this are done by repeating various easy techniques to good effect. I feel that we need this repetition to let these important life skills sink in well.

De Becker also teaches us that fear, when recognised & if reacted to in the correct manner, is a good & desirable thing. We need to learn to recognise those strange feelings, like butterflies inside of us, & put them into proper use.

Please don't be put off by the cover of the book that looks a little old fashioned or that it has been around since 1997. The title really does say it all & it includes all the skills & information you need within its 432 pages to help save our or our families lives.

Do check out De Beckers credentials from his website, he's easy to find on Google, should you feel the need to be convinced any further about his competency & experience to teach on the subject.

Complimentary titles that go with this title are: Beauty Bites Beast: Awakening the Warrior Within Women and Girls by Ellen Snortland &
A Girl's Gotta Do What a Girl's Gotta Do: A Complete Guide to Personal Safety for Women by Kathleen Baty.

Power through Constructive Thinking
Power through Constructive Thinking
by Emmet Fox

5.0 out of 5 stars All of the below & more!!, 29 Sept. 2007
To me - Emmet's "Power Through Constructive Thinking" is the foundation stone of all his powerful, inspiring & motivational books.

This one outlines in detail & comprehensively the technique for turning your thought processes into power to achieve peace, prosperity, health & happiness.

The process is easy & logical as soon as you see it. He uses Bible tracts to expand his ideas & show that this is nothing new. Mental science & the power of the mind has been around & recognised for thousands of years. Some successful people take the idea for granted & may not even realise they're using this system.

Despite the books age & the period from which it came, Emmet writes clearly & with fluidity that makes you want to carry on & finish the next chapter.

If you can just hold his ideas in place, remember them (write them down if need be) & daily put them into practice, you'll see your success's grow from day to day, followed health, happiness, prosperity & peace. All of which is nothing more than we're all clambering for - isn't it?

Find and Use Your Inner Power
Find and Use Your Inner Power
by Emmet Fox

5.0 out of 5 stars Like Ronseal - It does Exactly what is says on the lable!!, 24 Sept. 2007
This book is full of inspiration. If you're life is a little hectic at the moment & getting you down or flustered, then one of the treasures to be found in this book is peace & who better than Emmet Fox to teach you just how to achieve this in his own easy, simple & inimitable way.

You'll discover a new gem of divine wisdom on each page, try just one every day if you like, but like me you probably won't be able to put the book down once you've started. Emmet has a cure for all of our problems, fears & worries on each page. Nice short easy to digest stories that you can put into practice instantly.

Although the book as first published in 1937, the language is clear & easy. Emmet was one of the early & great pioneers of New Thought Science, the fact that there are a multitude of copy-cat books around today is testament to that.

The book has a Christian flavour to it, but do not be put off by that, he's certainly not "Bible-bashing" you.

I love all of Emmet's books, but if you're looking for one that you can just delve into at any point to just fix that one particular problem, then this is probably the best suited of his books.

by Matthew Ravden

5.0 out of 5 stars Fresh, Innovative & Very Funny :-), 21 Sept. 2007
This review is from: BlokeMiles (Hardcover)
It's very rare that I read fiction or stories but something about this innovative title grabbed my attention & from reading the back cover & the previous reviews here I was sucked in. Also, I'm quite a slow & methodical reader & yet I got so caught up in the book that I managed to read it in just one day, that's a first for me.

What a great & funny story! Such a unique concept too - Bloke-Miles like Air-Miles, you have to earn them......highly plausible too. I hope the author has trade-marked the concept?

You don't even have to like or know anything about rugby to enjoy it either.

What's more, if the right actors were chosen, I really think this could be made into a really fantastic & successful film.

Excellent holiday - sitting on the beach & soaking in the sun by the sea material. The human interactions are so realistic one can empathise with them straight away, I think that's makes it a hit for me. From the knowing way the story is told I wonder whether in fact the author is relaying an actual account of his own life. Who knows? Well done Matthew, more grease to your literary elbow & give us another like this soon!

by Matthew Ravden

5.0 out of 5 stars Fresh, Innovative & Very Funny :-), 21 Sept. 2007
This review is from: BlokeMiles (Paperback)

You don't even have to like or know anything about rugby to enjoy it either.

How To Live 365 Days A Year
How To Live 365 Days A Year
by John A. Schindler

5.0 out of 5 stars Physician - Heal thyself!!,, 16 Sept. 2007
I wish that I'd read this book a year ago when I first bought it. It may have been written over 50 years ago but its contents are probably more useful today then when it was first published, especially with the frantic lifestyles we all lead today.

John Schindler shows us in his book that all of our physical ailments can be attributed to our own mental problems, the way we think etc. This is down to a lack of proper training either from our family or educational system as well as the company we keep. This leads to a mental immaturity & the way we handle our emotions. He helps us cure these by making us aware of what the problems are and how we can go about & easily fix them with a few simple tricks.

I'm not a fast reader, but I was so engrossed in this book that I managed the 210 pages in a single sitting (only one day!!)

This is going to sound like one of the stories in the book, so here goes. Over the last year or more I've had a serious problem with my back; recently I was lucky enough to have an operation to fix it. However, during this time I got so frustrated with my condition, lack of mobility, discomfort and pain that without realising it I got stressed out & developed various conditions such as neck & shoulder ache, headaches & eczema. All of which I managed to cure using Dr Schindler's techniques in a matter of a few days without the need for any medicine.

As ever it's worth its weight in gold if you'll just listen & apply his simple & effective remedies. A great investment if ever there was one.

Lawrence of Arabia: Mirage of a Desert War.
Lawrence of Arabia: Mirage of a Desert War.
by Adrian Greaves

5.0 out of 5 stars Book Description Only!, 7 Sept. 2007
Just to help clear up any confusion about the last review & about Lawrence & The Falklands, there is NO connection!

Book Description
This compelling new biography uses primary sources and original research to uncover the truth about this legendary figure. T.E. Lawrence is one of the most enigmatic characters in British history.

At the outbreak of the First World War he was working as an archaeologist in the Middle East. With no military training at all and a strong distrust of politicians and senior officers alike, he succeeded in a task where they had failed.

Not only did he unite the Arab nation, which was at perpetual war with itself, but he also led them to victory against the once great Ottoman Empire.

The truth about this mysterious personality is more compelling than fiction.

About the Author
Having spent many years as a police superintendent, Dr Adrian Greaves now devotes his time to writing. He is the founder/editor of the Journal of the Anglo-Zulu War Historical Society, and gives regular battlefield tours of Isandlwana and Rorke's Drift. He is the author of numerous books on British colonial history in Africa.

Fit to Fight: Manual of Intense Training for Combat
Fit to Fight: Manual of Intense Training for Combat
by Peter Consterdine

5.0 out of 5 stars ......and there's more!!,, 6 Sept. 2007
.........in addition to the positive review below about Peter I'd just like to add the following.....

All of Peter's books are just GREAT & are absolutely worth their weight in gold. He knows exactly what he's talking about since he has devoted his whole life to teaching practical self defence & personal security. He's had years & years of experience in this business and is one of the best experts we have on the subject.

Also in the book you will see some pictures of Sensei Ged Moran (7th Dan), who I have had the great privilege of being taught and training under for a few years.

Sensei Moran is the JSKA-GB Executive Secretary who began training in Shotokan karate in late 1967 at the Red Triangle in Liverpool, under the guidance of Sensei Andy Sherry 8th Dan KUGB, and Shihan Enoeda 9th Dan JKA.

The fact that such karate master greats like Sensei Moran train under Peter should be evidence & proof enough that Peter is well respected in his field and "knows his stuff!!"

Page: 1-10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21-30