Profile for Deborah W > Reviews

Content by Deborah W

Deborah W

Stoner: A Novel (Vintage Classics)
Stoner: A Novel (Vintage Classics)
by John Williams

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting but not likeable, 18 Sep 2014
This novel has had so much attention and quite extraordinary praise recently that I approached it expecting a masterpiece. I found much to admire and had no difficulty finishing it. The picture of the rural life the hero leaves behind for university is vivid and moving. The account of teaching and reading is also unusually convincing - it is hard to make such an interesting story out of the life of someone who does so little.
But - and it is a major reservation - I found the novel both unconvincing and misogynist in the account of his marriage and his relationship with his daughter. The monstrosity of his wife is hard to believe, especially since there is no attempt to give any view on why she is as she is. She seems little more than a fictional device for thwarting the hero. The quality of the writing means I would be unfair to give this less than a three star rating but I strongly disliked it.

Honey & Co: Food from the Middle East
Honey & Co: Food from the Middle East

5.0 out of 5 stars i have cooked four things from it so far and all have been excellent. I bake a lot and the cherry cake ..., 30 Jun 2014
This is an engaging and practical book. The recipes are inspiring but the instructions are clear and helpful. i have cooked four things from it so far and all have been excellent. I bake a lot and the cherry cake was one of the best I have made - will definitely become a regular.

Meeting the English
Meeting the English

3.0 out of 5 stars worth sticking with, 16 July 2013
For the first quarter of this I really disliked it - 1989 is a year I remember very well and I found the rather arch product placement and looking back in astonishment at things like the lack of mobile phones patronising and intrusive. Rather like those television shows where more effort has gone into accurate prop finding than character development. However, once it settled down I began to find it clever and engaging, especially in the development of Struan's character, and would cautiously recommend it.

The Modern Pantry
The Modern Pantry
by Anna Hansen

3.0 out of 5 stars Not always easy to use, 31 Dec 2011
This review is from: The Modern Pantry (Hardcover)
I was given this for Christmas and it is a beautiful book full of tempting and unusual recipes. I may be unlucky but the first two I have tried seem to have some problems with quantities. The quinoa lavash (and I make bread including lavash regularly) doesn't specify whether the weight is before or after cooking and it ends up with a lose batter which took at least three times as long to cook as the recipe said although the flavour was excellent. I have just also made the chorizo quails scotch eggs and the quantity of - delicious - sausage meat barely covered 16 eggs rather than the 24 specified. So I do recommend this but have been irritated by lack of user friendliness and accuracy so far.