Profile for Joao Ramos > Reviews

Content by Joao Ramos

Joao Ramos

Toshiba Satellite Pro C50-A-1K9 15.6-inch Laptop (Intel Core(TM) i5-3230M Dual Core Processor, 6 GB RAM, 500 GB HDD, Windows 8.1 64-bit)

5.0 out of 5 stars Exactly what you're waiting for, 29 May 2014
First of all, I should mention that my choice was biased:
- I wanted a laptop under £500
- I always buy from Toshiba

For what I paid for it (slightly below £500), I got the package I wanted, a fast laptop with battery life up to 5 hours (with WiFi in eco mode, outside of games) that can play the most recent games fairly well (I play Dota 2 and that game can play in full graphical setting).

It does not come with Microsoft Office, but luckily I had a spare copy; and it comes with WIndows 8, which looks exactly like Windows 7 if you get the app "StartIsBack" and it's slightly faster.

Overall, I am very happy with my purchase, especially due to the long battery life in such a powerful computer!

Pokémon Y (Nintendo 3DS)
Pokémon Y (Nintendo 3DS)

5.0 out of 5 stars Another one? Not just!, 11 Feb. 2014
For someone who is a fan of Pokémon, even a bad Pokémon game becomes by default good. However, that is not the case with Pokémon Y.

I will just pinpoint the good points and the bad points about the game. The obvious selling points are all the Pokémon created so far will be available in 3D and there is a new pokémon type - Fairy. However, this game gives you so much more than it advertises:

Pros:
- When you start, besides the Kalos starter Pokémon, you are offered Bulbasaur, Charmander or Squirtle and a Mega stone to see how it works!
- Grinding for gym challenges reduced a LOT.
- Easy to understand Effort Value training - for those interested in training their pokémon.
- Basically a nintendogs for Pokémon, with Pokémon Amie.
- Stay in touch with other pokéfans from all over the world with an easy to access to all of them! the PSS is amazing and you'll find yourself using O-powers all the time when online.
- 1 second saving time, it doesn't matter what you have done before, saving has never been faster.
- Changes to breeding Pokémon makes it easier to have your perfect Pokémon.
- More aftergame challenges, including the comeback of "Looker", the detective.

Cons:
- No Move tutors :( (except the normal ones, dragon, special pokémon and starters)
- In order to transfer Pokémon from previous generations you will need Pokébank. It is free for 30 days after activation, after which you will have to pay something like 5 dollars a year to transfer your pokémon. However, this service does give you a free Celebi (previously unnatainable outside of events) and 100 boxes with 30 spaces for Pokémon each. I consider this a con because of payment, but I suppose they have to keep the servers online!

If you enjoy pokémon, you will love this game. If you're new to it, as long as you keep yourself connected to the community and enjoy putting your cute little pets against your enemies, Pokémon is the game for you!

3 x Membrane Screen Protectors for Nokia Lumia 820 - Crystal Clear (Glossy), Retail Package, Installation Kit
Offered by Membrane Store

5.0 out of 5 stars Imperceptible, 11 Feb. 2014
I would highly recommend these screen covers (although I have never used such a thing before).
My reasons for recommendation are:
- 6 per pack
- low price
- imperceptible, no one that would look at my phone would notice a screen protector.

Heritage
Heritage

5.0 out of 5 stars The beginning of something wonderful, 28 Feb. 2012
This review is from: Heritage (Audio CD)
Music is all about passion, you either hate it or love it, and I will give you the point of view of someone that has engaged musical lessons when young and always followed the path of Rock - tending towards Metal as skills grow.

But now I'm growing older, and I have to admit that violent music does not really suit my tastes anymore, and that is why I was so happy to see that Opeth has changed as well!

This album, in my view, is Opeth's real essence coming out, what I liked about Opeth were the melodic accoustic guitar themes and the epic and ear-bending riffs that stick to you - If in order to have more of that you have to leave behind the growling, which did gets me tired after a while, I do not really mind, to be honest; this is an Album for people with an higher taste of music and in search of new sonoroties.

- The first track - "Heritage" - is a beautiful piano theme, which I have been missing since "Silhouette"
- The second track - "The Devil's Orchard" - has my favourite riff of the album, and does not let you down until the end, surprising the listener at every new note. Close to the end, the rythm shifts to a groovy bass and drums thus making it even more unique.
- "I Feel The Dark" - the third track - starts with a dialogue between the singer and the guitar, which repeats the same theme over and over again, the drums come in with the bass at around 1:10 beautifully, followed by the synthetiser. Half-way through the song, the electrical guitar riff comes in powerfully and after that the main theme "outro" is repeated until the end
- "Slither" - With a quick rythm, "Slither" sounds like a regular popular song, with a solo in the middle as well and a classical guitar outro
- The fifth song - "Nepenthe" - starts as a very dark song but soon gains momentum with both guitar, voice and drums and turns into a sad, lazy song instead. Half-way through the change happens, an awesome solo begins with an unusual harmonic-heavy guitar riff and ends as a relaxed song again.
- "Häxprocess" - has one of my favourite intros of the album, a dialogue between the guitar, drums and bass. After that, the singer repeats the synthetiser's notes, making a melody out of it. After that a simple and fast riff makes the classical guitar the center of the composition once again, moving the song forward faster. It ends with a guitar solo.
- "Famine" - starts with a really low-sounded synthetiser and a voice and rythm reminiscent of African cultures which suddenly breaks into a piano part with singing on top - an electrical guitar riff fades in slowly and takes the top voice, with an epic drum roll entrance into what seems to be the "main riff" - the rythm returns only to break into a slow heavy metal breakdown
- "The Lines in My Hand" - The percursion-full start reminds a rock song, with the bass making the main meloy after the first verse, the guitar goes beautifully on top. The whole song sounds like a beautiful improvisation where nothing ever goes wrong (you can see by now that I really like this album). The song ends in a heavy-metal style riff - they haven't lost it yet!
- "Folklore" - a riff reminiscent of folklore songs starts in a clean electrical guitar, band rolls in and two guitars do the main riff - the singer has a really low voice on this song and replaces the guitar on the top when he sings. The second part of the song starts with a silent section with a low-sounding piano on the background, but then follows into a guitar solo with a heavily-military sounded rythm.
- "Marrow of the Earth" - 2 Classical Guitars make this song one of the most beautiful dialogues you have ever listened to and a great way to end an album. Synthetiser keeps the rythm going until the faded-out end.

You can clearly see this is a one-sided review, but for someone like me to recommend an album, it has to be really good.

Pokemon Beanies Jigglypuff (#39)
Pokemon Beanies Jigglypuff (#39)
Offered by itembazaar Euro

5.0 out of 5 stars Smaller than it appears!, 27 Jan. 2012
Smaller than it appears (about 15 centimeters) but not less heart warming. Makes a formidable companion to little sisters. Very Soft although the manufacturing quality could be better for what you are paying

Nintendo Wii (Black) with Wii Sports + Wii Sports Resort: Includes Wii Remote Plus

5.0 out of 5 stars Not what I expected - Better!, 27 Jan. 2012
This is a great bundle for £115 and for those like me who were afraid that it might not play Gamecube games, rest assured, it does (This is not the reviewed wii, it's the original with a black exterior)

The controller that comes along brings a silicon case and a nunchuck (I have one nunchuck too many due to this mistake)

Wii Sports and Wii Sports Resort are included in the same CD and the wii itself is brilliantly packed within the box.

If you think about it, it's the deal of the year: £115 (Bundle) -£32 (controller) -£11 (nunchuck) -£20 (Games)=wii console for £52! I have it and I recommend it!