ARRAY(0xa3190528)

Profile for A. Cotton > Reviews

Content by A. Cotton

A. Cotton "AJR" (London UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Mil-Com 6mm Screw Gate Locking Carabiners - 2 Pack
Mil-Com 6mm Screw Gate Locking Carabiners - 2 Pack
Offered by Savage Island

4.0 out of 5 stars Useful, 2 Nov 2012
I bought these as a means to extend the life of a bag. The shoulder strap had broken while on holiday - probably too much weight. So now the strap is attached by the carabiners and works as I had hoped.

Kingston 16GB USB Drive with Premium Metal Casing
Kingston 16GB USB Drive with Premium Metal Casing
Offered by Flashmemo-Uk

4.0 out of 5 stars Solid, if slow, performance. Comparison Test:, 3 Aug 2012
This thing is tiny (39mm x 12mm). Getting a drive that's made of metal is important to me because its less likely to break from bending/stress fractures. Being made of metal makes it feel very solid and I'm happy to have it attached to my keyring.

Using a 2011 Macbook Pro I tested this USB drive against an old (2008 at least) Sandisk metal 8gb drive. Timings and calculations are clearly open to my (human) error and are for an indication only.

First Test: a single 3.23gb video file:
Kingston 16gb USB: Write 4.84mbps / Read 18.15mbps
Sandisk 8gb USB: Write 6.93mbps / Read 31.98mbps

First Test Result: 16gb is considerably slower at writing a large file, AND slower at reading.

Second Test: 273 photos in a folder, 447.5mb total:
Kingston 16gb USB: Write 4.97mbps / Read 17.9mbps
Sandisk 8gb USB: Write 3.84mbps / Read 13.08mbps

Second Test Result: The Kingston 16gb has both faster read and write speeds.

In late 2010 I reviewed a Sandisk 16gb USB drive (I lost it so can't compare it here) and that appeared slower than the 8gb regarding large files (same 8gb in 2010 test and this test). However for the photos the newer Kingston is much faster.

The slow transfer speed for video files is annoying but as I use flash drives mainly for documents its not too much of an issue.

Hope that helps.

Peppermint Candy
Peppermint Candy
Offered by encorerecords

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this album., 11 May 2012
This review is from: Peppermint Candy (Audio CD)
I won't go into the songs themselves as you can see the list of titles. I play this CD quite a lot and enjoy it loads. It's a nice collection if you are after a compilation of this type of music.

I actually bought it for my mother but have probably ended up listening to it more than her.

Highly recommended.

Joseph Joseph Scoop Colander - Grey
Joseph Joseph Scoop Colander - Grey

3.0 out of 5 stars Very useful., 11 May 2012
This is a very useful piece of kitchen equipment. It has a large 'tray' enabling a large quantity of veg (or whatever) to be scooped at a single go. It's size also allows you to give the spoon a bit of a shake to get rid of water/fat before transferring to the plate which is very handy.

The only negative is the straight handle. It would have been better to be slightly angled or ever shaped like a ladle with a vertical handle off the spoon part. Because the scoop/spoon part is so large it can be difficult to get as much in the catchment area as you would wish if the water level in the pan is, say, half way down the pan. The handle prevents you getting a proper scoop. Not the end of the world but a slightly annoying aspect which one cannot help thinking would have been very obvious to the designers if they had actually used the item for cooking several meals. And if they had tried it then I wonder what they are doing during cooking that I am not.

Recommended item, but consider how you would use it before deciding to purchase.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 2, 2012 4:11 PM GMT

The Mammoth Book of Alternate Histories (Mammoth Books)
The Mammoth Book of Alternate Histories (Mammoth Books)

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable set of stories, 11 May 2012
Like all sets of short stories I enjoyed some more than others. No doubt some of my favourites would be others' dislikes. But that's the great thing about short stories - you get more than one idea within the pages of a single book. Overall though I thoroughly enjoyed it. My favourite has to be an alternative to the Titanic disaster where the crew and passengers make a huge raft before the ship sinks. There's more to the story but I wont spoil it.

I got this during a sale so only paid 0.99p so am more than happy with the value for money. If I had to pay the standard GBP5.49 I probably wouldn't have taken the risk in the first place but having read them I would recommend the book at this price. I've given it 4 stars instead of 5 because, as to be expected, there were some stories not on my wavelength.

Kolay® The New iPad 3 HD Black Gel Back Cover Tough TPU Case & Screen Protector for Apple iPad 3 3rd Generation
Offered by iDELTA UK LTD

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value for money., 11 April 2012
The back case is a great fit. You can tell its not as expensive as other brands because the mould line is slightly visible but I actually like it - it provides a bit of grip when holding it (especially when holding it like a games controller) and trying to type. Fit wise - excellent. A little bit of effort to squeeze the last corner on and its on snugly. You couldn't really ask for more. And for the price, excellent. I have a friend who paid £15 for a similar cover in PC World. I'd defy anyone to see any real difference except I paid about £11 less.

The screen protector...I cleared a space on the table (wiped clean). I washed my hands. I placed the ipad on the table surface (back case removed). I cleaned the ipad screen thoroughly with a proper computer screen cleaner. And then I followed the instructions provided. I spent about 15 mins 'scraping' the surface with the credit card as per the instructions pushing bubbles to the edges and away. Some bubbles wont scrape but if you gently push down on them they actually just disappear. I had one bubble which was clearly as a result of a dust particle. I carefully lifted the sheet, flicked away the particle and carried on. Once finished I was left with about 5 tiny bubbles which I couldn't shift (and which didn't have visible dust in the centre of them) and I was prepared to see if I could live with them. When I removed the final sticky layer those bubbles went so I can only assume they were between the protective surface and the sticky removable surface. So a perfect application with no bubbles. I actually had to pull a corner off/up slightly just to check it was actually there! I can only stress, and it seems rather extreme, but preparing your work area in a clinical manner really does minimise chances of dust particles.

I had reason to contact the seller and they responded with my question within minutes. Very pleased with the product(s) and with customer service.

TeckNet® New Apple iPad 4, iPad 3 & iPad 2 Premium Folio Leather Case / Cover and Flip Stand With Magnetic Auto-Sleep Function + Screen Protector & 2-in-1 Stylus Pen For New Apple iPad 4rd Generation, iPad 3 & iPad 2- Black
Offered by TECKNET

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb case/stand, 10 April 2012
Fits the ipad3 perfectly. Its got to be the most convincing faux leather I've ever seen. Sure you can tell its not a £50 case but its definitely on par with some £25+ branded cases.

The cover does switch the ipad on and off. And when folded back the ipad can either stand in the upright position securely or lie in an angled raised position for typing/viewing.

Does exactly what it says. Very happy and would recommend.

There is one minor negative. On the front cover is a small 'TeckNet' stamped in the top right corner. Its also inside which is ok. Personally I would have liked the outside to have remained blank so that when closed it looked more like a notebook/pad (as in the paper variety). Certainly not the end of the world.

Mozart: Violin Sonatas K.378 , K.376 & K.296
Mozart: Violin Sonatas K.378 , K.376 & K.296

4.0 out of 5 stars Great background music album, 6 Feb 2012
I know little about classical music, preferring to just like what I hear rather than understand the different composers' histories and the evolution of their styles. If I hear something I like, I'll listen to it again.

Which is where this album comes in. Every time I visit a friend's parent's house this is playing. Finally I remembered to make a note of the CD and purchased it. Gentle and calming it makes for great background music.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 21, 2014 11:23 AM GMT

Hollywood
Hollywood

5.0 out of 5 stars Another great album, 6 Feb 2012
This review is from: Hollywood (Audio CD)
Big thumbs up. Big band sound done for a modern audience. Another great album from the Sisters. Get's your feet tapping and before you know it you're humming away.

Philips Imageo LED Rechargeable Candle Lights, White
Philips Imageo LED Rechargeable Candle Lights, White

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent alternative to the real thing., 6 Feb 2012
I was apprehensive about the idea of these, worried that they would look cheap, tacky and nothing like a real candle. Having seen them at a friend's I purchased a set for my mother's birthday. I purchased them so she could use them in her bathroom (candles and bath oils are incredibly dangerous - people get out of a bath covered in a thin film of oil, go to extinguish a candle and woosh...the flame ignites the oil).

The individual candle units are plain but do not look or feel cheap and they have a nice weight to them. As a candle light they perform really well. I doubt anyone would know they were fake unless they picked them up or watched them for quite a while looking for something odd. The flicker is gentle and subtle and the amount of light they produce is identical to a standard tealight. Like I said, I doubt anyone would notice they were not real.

The only bit that I don't like is the base - it is plastic and the shape takes up more space than I would want if I were using them. It could be made as a strip for easier storage but I assume that Philips have produced the 'flower' shape so that the three candles can be used as a table setting or something similar. Just a personal preference.

I am considering buying a set for my own home - no matches or lighters required AND they will be easy to take outside in the summer nights.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4