Profile for Josi Martin > Reviews

Angelopolis (Angel 2)
by Danielle Trussoni
Price: 9.09

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 22 Oct 2013
This review is from: Angelopolis (Angel 2) (Paperback)
I loved Angelology and was excited for the follow-up but I couldn't even be bothered to finish this. Very sad.

Palette Ceramic : 7wells :8.25in. diameter :3in deep with ceramic lid
Palette Ceramic : 7wells :8.25in. diameter :3in deep with ceramic lid
Offered by Jackson's Art Supplies
Price: 11.19

5.0 out of 5 stars Is what it says, 22 Oct 2013
Solid ceramic palette and lid. The smooth ceramic surface of the wells means that you can properly clean it between projects (so you don't accidentally leave a miniscule speck of some strong pigment (like Prussian blue) and distort the colour on the next work you're doing.

Derwent Carry-All Canvas Bag, 132 Pencil plus Accessory and Sketchbook Storage Capacity, Carrying Handles and Detachable Shoulder Strap
Price: 16.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Very useful bag, 22 Oct 2013
I bought it to take my watercolour pencils outside for 'plein air' and it carries a huge number of pencils and accessories in a very compact bag. I find the pencils do not mix as easily to a desired shade as tubed watercolours so a good selection of them to hand is useful to have rather than three primaries and a few secondary colours which you could get away with in tubes. It's so small that you can't carry an A4 or bigger pad but it can take a smaller one - I use an A5. I find it great as the pencils are all laid out so you can easily put all the reds together (with purples) and all the blues together and see which one you need at a glance and pick it out with ease - much easier than rooting in a standard pencil case.

STABILO Carbothello Pastel Chalk Pencil Set in Metal Tin - Assorted Colours (Pack of 48) with Sharpener, Kneaded Eraser and Blending Stump
Price: 50.29

5.0 out of 5 stars Fine, 14 Jan 2013
These are exactly what they say they are: chalk pastel pencils in a wood casing like graphite pencils. They hold a reasonable line and so can be used for some detail. The tin includes a small kneadable eraser, paper stump for blending and a sharpener specifically for these which is quite useful as my usual pencil sharpener didn't work well with these. It's great for graphite and coloured pencils (faber-castell polychromos). I got stuck in experimenting before I checked all the pencils and discovered the bits on the second layer as I already had a sharpener, erasers and stumps from graphite and coloured pencil experiments.

Botanologia. The English herbal: or, history of plants. ... Adorned with exquisite icons or figures, of the most considerable species, ... The whole ... order. By William Salmon, M.D.  Volume 1 of 2
Botanologia. The English herbal: or, history of plants. ... Adorned with exquisite icons or figures, of the most considerable species, ... The whole ... order. By William Salmon, M.D. Volume 1 of 2
by William Salmon
Price: 26.99

5.0 out of 5 stars 1710 herbal, 30 July 2012
First I must start by admitting that the published images, of the original herbal, are not terribly clear in this edition and this is a reproduction of the actual herbal - not a modern transcription. It also takes a bit to get the hang of the 18th Century English: a number of letters that look like 'f' are 's' really, the wording is somewhat verbose and they seem fond of starting the paragraphs 'Of...'.

However this is an incredibly important work so it gets five stars despite these faults. Salmon gets his information from a number of earlier sources and this book represents a point in herbalism's history where the power of plants for medical uses was still being acknoweledged by the medical profession but they were making some strides in the development of medical knowledge at this time, unlike earlier herbals.

It has a very up to date, and about the last flourish, of the western energetic system of herbs in the 'qualities' descriptions.

One Complaint - this is only half the work (despite the large size). Please issue the other book!!

How to See, How to Draw: Keys to Realistic Drawing
How to See, How to Draw: Keys to Realistic Drawing
by Claudia Nice
Edition: Hardcover-spiral
Price: 17.11

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book!, 30 July 2012
I love this book. I started off with an American book by Irene Brady which actually allowed me to realise that absolutely anybody *could* draw if you take time and practise. As an adult who had always drawn like a sad child, this was amazing. However the book eventually suggested making models, as part of the drawing process, and that was too fussy for me.

So my experience of this book is as a beginner, but not as a total unbeliever in my skills, so I'm not sure how someone who doesn't yet realise they can draw would find it.

It is however very straightforward, clear and all you need is some paper, a pencil or two, rubber and sharpener - off you go. She gives lots of clear details and examples and put useful exercises, at various points, in. There isn't a huge amount of theory. I was thrilled to learn how to do a really symetrical item - one side of the item always was slightly different to the other and she shows how to correct this.

It includes a chapter on perspective (most important for realistic drawing).

Thoroughly recommended.

Sacred Space: The Prayer Book
Sacred Space: The Prayer Book
by The Irish Jesuits

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely, 25 Feb 2011
It is simply a different suggested prayer and thought for each week together with a different daily short bible reading for each day of that week. Fantastic for those who sometimes feel too busy or tired to pray - most of us can find five minutes somewhere, even if it's just delaying bedtime by that. If that's all you can feel you can manage then it's a simple aide to help you to do that in your day: to make that 'sacred space' for God. Much, much simpler than the Liturgy of the Hours.

The Complete Herbal Tutor: The Definitive Guide to the Principles and Practices of Herbal Medicine
by Anne McIntyre
Price: 15.11

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent resource, 8 Nov 2010
A truly excellent book from a reputable herbalist. The materia medica section covers 150 of the most commonly used herbs in western herbalism (including 'adopted' herbs such as Ashwaghanda)with the therapeutic actions, parts used, phytoconstituents and cautions for use. There are some simple facts on making herbal preparations and on growing them. All in all, a useful book.

Undead And Unfinished: Number 9 in series (Undead/Queen Betsy)
Undead And Unfinished: Number 9 in series (Undead/Queen Betsy)
by MaryJanice Davidson
Price: 8.50

1.0 out of 5 stars Finished the series for me, 21 July 2010
I'm afraid I hated this one. I've enjoyed the series so far, even if the last few books gradually got thinner and thinner. It's a bit of froth and light enjoyment - despite the vampire context.

I didn't mind the slightly darker mood of the last book but I would warn anyone who buys this: don't read the epilogue. I didn't mind the time travelling throughout the body of the book - very interesting. I even thought initially that this book was better than the last few books but then I read the epilogue and was horrified. Apparently this book will be finished in the next book she issues - next year!

Read the epilogue just before you start next year's book if you must. If you've followed the series since the start I think you will be upset to read what she's set up and you're supposed to wait a year. I intend not to read any more of these even though I've read all of them to date. I can't see how she can turn it round.

No spoilers.

Amarna... the Missing Evidence
Amarna... the Missing Evidence
by Sue Moseley
Price: 10.03

3.0 out of 5 stars Good - but not as good as it thinks it is, 4 Jun 2009
The chapter looking at the primary hieroglyphic evidence about "Smenkhare" I thought was very good and I liked her reconsideration of the overall dating timeline.

As others have commented though, this is not so much an academic book as a written version of a lecture: her tone is a little hectoring and that does start to wear after a time. She talks about the "disgrace" of Nefertiti as the established version of amarna history when that has been seen as wrong for years - I've got a 2001 book by Nicolas Reeves that talks of that theory as having been discredited for some time. I was also highly surprised she didn't include the last Egyptian scan of Tutankhamun as it was a few years ago and established that he was likely to have died from the results of a serious leg injury. I don't think it's going to spoil the surprise for any amarna enthousiast to mention that she discusses Nefertiti as pharoah in her own right - I can't think how many times I'd read that theory before.

The consideration of the KV55 mummy was interesting but I thought the photo used of a canopic jar was a little misleading as most of the close-ups I've seen of them are distinctly female and most writers seem to think they belonged to Kiya. Apparently a Russian egyptologist has identified part of the titulary on the rishi coffin as indicating that it originally belonged to Kiya but this wasn't mentioned. It does raise questions as the mummy now in it seems to universally be thought NOT to be Kiya but this wasn't touched on. Interesting outstanding question there.

I'm pleased I got it but it's not quite as original or radical as it thinks it is.

Page: 1 | 2