Profile for NickyB > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8
Sony NWZA-15 A Series High Res Walkman 16 GB - Black
Sony NWZA-15 A Series High Res Walkman 16 GB - Black

1.0 out of 5 stars A justifiable reason for a 1-star review, 13 July 2016
I was convinced that music on my phone was a bad idea several years ago. Despite having a Google Nexus, Galaxy Notes etc etc, I needed better battery, more power, and well - I have a Kindle for much the same reason.
However, I miss the lovely interface of a smartphone.
For several years, I've been putting up with Sansa Clip, Fiio X3, iBasso DX50. These are (well, the latter 2) proper HiRes "Hi Fi" portable players.
They've got some "oomph" in the amp department.
This Sony hasn't. I needed to tweak the EQ so much in order to get any kind of bass, and something other than a tinny sound, tried with a big range of headphones. It is simply too small a footprint to have a decent amp I think.
And that makes it NOT worth the money. Not when you can get a FiiO for a lot cheaper.
So, even with the lack of touchscreen, the interface is better than many/most of these HiFi players I own, and most on the market. And I wanted to compromise a little on the sound quality for a better interface.
This is too much of a compromise.
It sounds pretty much the same as a Sony mp3 walkman I had 6 or 7 years ago.
And the final straw? The EQ doesn't work on HiRes music. With its lack of amp power, the sheer dynamic range (light and shade and all that) that should come with 24bit music just isn't there. It just isn't.
RETURNED.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 17, 2016 8:52 AM BST

Pure McCartney
Pure McCartney

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 11 Jun. 2016
This review is from: Pure McCartney (Audio CD)
I bought the 24bit hires version from elsewhere, and love the sound quality, Silly love Songs (which I love, many don't) sounds very clear and of course many of these tracks have now been re-mastered elsewhere.
Alex Wharton at Abbey Rd has done a smashing job.
I like having a good version of Another Day (Wingspan didn't cut it).
Maybe I'm Amazed sounds great.
Having such an album has many advantages.... even with ReplayGain or iTunes soundcheck to level the volumes, you can't beat on a portable music player having a full album that is mastered the same, evened out volume levels, and such a good collection that effectively becomes a new playlist...
I need to listen to this more, but recommended wholeheartedly.

BlueRigger Digital Optical Audio Toslink Cable, 1.8 Meters (6ft)
BlueRigger Digital Optical Audio Toslink Cable, 1.8 Meters (6ft)
Offered by BlueRigger LLC

5.0 out of 5 stars Good quality, 17 Feb. 2016
A good quality cable snapping in firm. Great for the price!

B&O PLAY by Bang & Olufsen Beoplay H2 On-Ear Headphones - Green
B&O PLAY by Bang & Olufsen Beoplay H2 On-Ear Headphones - Green

2.0 out of 5 stars Gorgeous sound, massive design fail in strangling your head and sweating your ears, 17 Feb. 2016
I own a lot of headphones (maybe I'm never happy!? lol), and the sound of these is really very very good. Rich deep bass. They're just terrible terrible impractical headphones. They really are. Massive massive shame. Lovely quality build, high quality feel to them, velvet touch headband, lambskin ear covers... I mean..... so why are they so poor to adjust, so tight, and so so SO HOT!? Absolutely no chance of breathing in these, they will suffocate your ears (within 1/4 inch of their life) like no others.
I coveted these for a while, and I still believe they are high quality and YMMV (so go for it of course), but I'm bitterly disappointed at who tested these and the money I've essentially wasted - no-one else in my family wants them ("wow!! they're tight and sweaty!"), so might try and eBay them.
Such a shame. I have no such problems with my Beyer, AKG stuff whether on ear or closed. Gah.

Sherlock Holmes - Complete Collection [Blu-ray] [UK Region Spanish Import]
Sherlock Holmes - Complete Collection [Blu-ray] [UK Region Spanish Import]
Dvd ~ Edward Hardwicke
Offered by GREAT4DVD

5.0 out of 5 stars Abysmal packaging but great Bluray quality, 17 Feb. 2016
Terrible awful rubbish spanish packaging to be honest, and it took a while to arrive, but... the video quality is pretty good!

Driving Rain
Driving Rain
Offered by Books-and-Sounds

4.0 out of 5 stars One of his best in 30 odd years?, 17 Feb. 2016
This review is from: Driving Rain (Audio CD)
Sure, I like Band on the Run, Speed of Sound, Flaming Pie. But I only recently discovered his Chaos and Creation album. Because... I was happy enough with my "Another Day Maybe I'm Amazed Bluebird Jenny Wren" playlists.
Thing is, this album deserves a place there. It's kind of old-school, the production is clear, not 1990s harsh like Flowers in the Dirt, and nearly as "analogue sounding" as BOTR. And that's good. Hey, I stick to CDs (well, FLAC but you get the idea) and to my ears this sounds as warm as the original Pipes of Peace.
Recommended :-)

Google Nexus 6 Case, Terrapin [SLIM FIT] Nexus 6 Case [Clear] Premium Protective TPU Gel Case for Google Nexus 6 - Clear

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice quality, allows phone quality to show thro, 31 Dec. 2015
Nice case, protects all corners, and allows the colour to show through, smashing!

Duronic HDS3 Mini 3 Port Gold HDMI Auto Switch PIANO BLACK 3x1 (3 way input 1 output HDMI Switcher)
Offered by DURONIC

2.0 out of 5 stars Waay too many 5 star reviews, kids..., 31 Dec. 2015
The thing is, this is plastic. Even the Xmas tree lights caused tiny spots of interference on the telly, and the PVR signal changing slightly caused this to autoswitch momentarily. Sadly can't recommend it.
I bought a manual one, made of metal:

Fiio A3 (Kilimanjaro 2) Portable Headphone Amplifier (formerly E11K)
Fiio A3 (Kilimanjaro 2) Portable Headphone Amplifier (formerly E11K)
Offered by EA Audio

4.0 out of 5 stars It's good, but I still returned it for the e12a, 8 Oct. 2015
It's good. You need a separate amp. I get it. It's like portable separates a friend said!
But, I found a better match in the more expensive e12a, this gave good bass/mid-low bass, but not as good treble as the e12a. Still, it's less than half the price so fab really for that it is.
Depends on your source.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Genuinely surprisingly good, 8 Oct. 2015
I was sceptical. But then I plugged in my iBasso DX50, and the table is so so smooth. That's the first thing I noticed, albums I've been unable to listen to in digital for years 'cause I thought they were badly mastered...guitars and hihats are clear and not fatiguing. It's truly remarkable.
It's not about the power of this thing for me, it's how it just does one job, it refines and smooths and controls the sound, and for the first time in my life I'm listening without ANY EQ. Only the (quite lovely) basa boost turned on. It's great!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8