Profile for Stephen Sowerby > Reviews

Content by Stephen Sowerby

Stephen Sowerby "Steve" (North Yorkshire)

Bluetooth USB Dongle (BT Class I, 100m range, v2.0, EDR) NEON brand
Bluetooth USB Dongle (BT Class I, 100m range, v2.0, EDR) NEON brand

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 5 April 2014
It does everything its supposed to do in a completely hassle free way. A short but very 'to the point' review.

NOOK Simple Touch GlowLightƒ"½
NOOK Simple Touch GlowLightƒ"½
Offered by eZee Trade

5.0 out of 5 stars Access to Library Ebooks via the Nook, 5 April 2014
I must admit that, like many, I thought that books with printed paper would always be my thing. The arrival of a Kindle as a Christmas present was therefore a rather pleasant surprise allowing lots of books to be carried around in a hassle free way.

It was when it came to having to pay for ebooks - when there are thousands freely available in the UK library system that I realised that the Kindle (all models except the Fire) was not the right thing.

A Nook Glowlight has allowed me to download and enjoy a seriously large number of books all without having to part with any money and without having to drive to the library. There are thousands of books out there and using the Nook has let my try new authors in a completely hassle free way.

Since the arrival of the Nook, I've not used the Kindle again, so I suppose that underlines what I'm trying to say. Having a back light to read in bed is a rather useful bonus too.

The Secret Olympian: The Inside Story of the Olympic Experience
The Secret Olympian: The Inside Story of the Olympic Experience
by ANON

5.0 out of 5 stars An insight, 24 Jan 2014
There is so much hype regarding the Olympic Games and so little known about what it takes to be selected to be there for your country.

I'm slightly biased at having competed at such an event for GB thirty years ago, and in reading the book, I'm struck by how much things have progressed over the years.

What is involved in getting to that level has not changed. The harder you work the luckier you get - as one of my coaches told me.

Rather than rabbit on about specific things, I would say that to most folk reading the book, it may be an eye opener into what is involved in getting a keen youngster from being fairly good - to quite good - to very good - to being selected to compete at international level.

There are no short cuts. It really does take the whole of a life to get there.

The book tells it so well and rang so many bells as to what I experienced all those years ago.

A seriously good, unputdownable book.

RHA MA350 Aluminium Noise Isolating In-Ear Earphones - 3 year warranty
RHA MA350 Aluminium Noise Isolating In-Ear Earphones - 3 year warranty
Offered by R H A

5.0 out of 5 stars A lot of sound for your pound, 23 May 2013
Before I start on what I think of the phones, I should say that listening to music on a really good system has been with me since my student days. Several upgrades later sees me now retired but still loving to listen to things musical.

The ability to carry music about on portable devices has always been wonderful and with the portability of the iPod system it was the phones supplied with it that was always poor.

Reading lots of opinions of others, I went for these RHA phones. The amount of 'upgrade' for the cost of £30 is superb. Some have mentioned that you can hear sound passed on to the ears via the movement of the chord. This is the down side of having a chord that doesn't tangle. Keep it in mind when you check the specification of these and others and decide on where your priorities are.

There are better ones out there - they just cost more money.

So if you want to hear more of what's on the player but don't want to dig deeply into the wallet. These are worth it. The sound is wonderful on both music and the spoken word.

As for comfort, they are wonderful.

Hambleton Bard Old English Ale 40 Pint Dry Home Brew Beer Kit
Hambleton Bard Old English Ale 40 Pint Dry Home Brew Beer Kit

5.0 out of 5 stars A seriously good home brew., 3 April 2013
If what you want is a light weight fizzy lager like drink, then stay away from this.

I've been making home brewed beer for a good number of years and this is one that I keep making.

Unlike all the others, there are no tinned ingredients. Everything is dry.

Making this so that it grabs your, and anyone else's, attention
you need to add one of the 'Beer Enhancer' products instead of ordinary sugar.

The result is a superb, full bodied, flavoursome beer, that more should aspire to producing.

Personally, I prefer it in a barrel rather than bottles. Try it - see what you think.

Will I be making another batch? Course I will. Its a winner.

John Lennon Biography: The Music, The Magic & The Murder
John Lennon Biography: The Music, The Magic & The Murder

2.0 out of 5 stars The story you've heard - just the way you've already heard it., 21 April 2012
I was rather hoping that this relatively recent work may add something to the details in common knowledge surrounding the death of John Lennon.
Reading it added nothing new and the writing style didn't kindle the imaginatin the way that other writers can do.
Sorry to be negative, but if you pick this as your next book - just think twice.

Morphy Richards  40740 2200w Advanced Finish  Steam Iron  Purple/Black
Morphy Richards 40740 2200w Advanced Finish Steam Iron Purple/Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Purchase review, 14 Nov 2011
We recently replaced our iron and, having searched on Amazon, found the model we required at a seriously good price.
The iron was delivered on time and was exactly as described.
If only all of life could be this good.......

Canon EF 50 mm f/1.8 II Lens
Canon EF 50 mm f/1.8 II Lens
Offered by DEALS IN UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Small but perfectly formed, 22 Sep 2006
Light, small but superb optics. The wide aperture and the size means that low light shots move from being probable to being possible.

The image quality is superb too.

I could go on but you've probably got the message - and no, I don't work for Canon.....