Profile for imperfectpages > Reviews

Content by imperfectpages

imperfectpages

Let's Pretend This Never Happened: (A Mostly True Memoir)
Let's Pretend This Never Happened: (A Mostly True Memoir)

3.0 out of 5 stars Works better as a blog, 10 Mar. 2013
I bought this book as I occasionally dip into Jenny's blog and find it hilarious. She's very unusual, honest and interesting. But as a book, I didn't like it. Her childhood stories were unpleasant and the stream-of-consciousness writing style that works well in a short blog post got really irritating in the book. When you read a blog you come to identify with the writer and feel like you 'know' them, which I expect is why books by popular bloggers sell so well. This feeling of knowing Jenny is also giving me some guilt about writing a bad review, which is perhaps a factor in why it gets such high ratings here. Or perhaps I'm weird for not liking it.
(I usually only write reviews when I have strong opinions; I wrote this one because the Kindle app gave me a neat option to write it as soon as I'd finished reading. Cunning, Amazon.)

Sigg Jungle Fun Aluminium Water Bottle - Olive Green, 0.3 Litre
Sigg Jungle Fun Aluminium Water Bottle - Olive Green, 0.3 Litre

4.0 out of 5 stars Durable but tricky to clean, 23 Sept. 2012
This review is from: SIGG Young Kids Bottle (Sports)
I bought this for my two-year-old to take when we're out and about. It's lovely quality and really durable - it has been dropped more than once and the metal has dinted, but the paint hasn't chipped at all so it still looks great. It has never leaked which is a big plus. We also have 'Onya' metal bottles and when they're filled with cold water they can get condensation on the outside which soaks everything in your bag - the Sigg bottles are insulated so this isn't so much of a problem.

However, I find the lid a real pain to clean - the mouth-piece has a 'rim' at the top which can get grubby underneath, and I find taking the lid apart to clean inside quite awkward. We've ended up using the Sigg bottles for bedtime and the Onya ones for out and about.

3 Pair, Size Small for Apple Earphones - Earphones Plus Brand Replacement Ear Cushions AND Sample Pair of Earphones Plus Brand Memory Foam Earbuds

5.0 out of 5 stars Does what it says on the tin - much cheaper than the Apple ones, 23 Sept. 2012
I bought these for my husband after accidentally losing one of the ear buds from his precious in-ear Apple headphones. ("I knew I shouldn't have lent them to you!" - "I wish you hadn't bothered")...

He was looking at paying over £20 for replacement buds from Apple (I think - unless he upped the price a little to guilt me!). These ones were loads cheaper and he's really pleased with them. Plus you get three pairs so plenty of spares should another get lost (although I won't be borrowing them again...).

Highly recommend.

Big Book of Dinosaurs (Usborne Big Books)
Big Book of Dinosaurs (Usborne Big Books)
by Alex Frith

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent introduction for young children, 23 Sept. 2012
I bought this book for my four-year-old son after he became interested in dinosaurs. He really likes it and now remembers the names of more dinosaurs than I do!

The focus of the book is the pictures, with names and generally just one fact about each dinosaur. The pages are card and fold out to two- or four-page spreads. These show the dinosaurs to scale so that it's easy to compare their size. The last fold-out section is a timeline that groups the dinosaurs into periods. My two-year-old also likes to look at this book, and gives a loud roar when pointing at each dinosaur.

If, like me, you're not sure of the pronunciation of unfamiliar dinosaurs, the book has a link to a website where you can listen to how each name should be pronounced.

As always with Usborne, this book is great quality with lovely illustrations. I'd recommend it for ages 4-7.

How Do You Feel?
How Do You Feel?
by Anthony Browne

3.0 out of 5 stars Not nearly as good as most of his books, 16 Sept. 2012
This review is from: How Do You Feel? (Hardcover)
I'm a big fan of Anthony Browne and we have quite a few of his books. My boys are aged 2 and 4 and both really enjoy 'Things I Like' and 'I Like Books', which feature the same monkey character as this new book. That's why I bought this book as soon as I saw it, as I thought it would be a great opportunity to introduce them to talking about feelings.

However, my kids haven't really clicked with this book. It might just be that I chose the hardback book, whereas we have the smaller board book versions of the other two, which makes them easier to handle. But also, I think maybe the idea of feelings is a bit complex for my two-year-old (whose speech development is quite delayed), and my four-year-old is now interested in longer story books with a narrative (which probably introduce ideas about feelings too, in a less direct way).

Disappointingly, the drawings in this book don't seem to have nearly the same level of care and detail as the majority of Browne's books. One of the reasons that I love his work so much is that there are always new things to spot in his drawings - hidden images, references to surrealism and other artistic movements, and themes that run throughout (My Mum and My Dad are great examples of this last one). In contrast, the drawings in 'How Do You Feel?' look hurried and sparse - it feels like rushed sketches rather than Browne's usual detailed artwork.

Overall, I don't feel that the book is up to Anthony Browne's usual high standard. I would heartily recommend many of his books, but not this one.

LEGO Star Wars Stormtrooper Key Chain
LEGO Star Wars Stormtrooper Key Chain
Offered by Game-Front

3.0 out of 5 stars Good quality but not as pictured, 16 Sept. 2012
= Durability:4.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:1.0 out of 5 stars
I bought this keyring as a present for my husband - he had the same one previously, but after about 3 years of constant use it was looking very battered and had lost a hand. I was hoping to buy an identical replacement, but unfortunately they no longer come with the 'Lego' tag. This is mentioned in the product description, but I feel they should update the picture too as it is misleading. My main reason for writing the review is to make other customers aware of this.

Having said that, this is a great little keyring, a good stocking filler for Star Wars fans and a subtle way for my husband to express his geeky side!

Orchard Toys Three Little Pigs
Orchard Toys Three Little Pigs

5.0 out of 5 stars Our favourite Orchard Toys game, 16 Sept. 2012
We have quite a few Orchard Toys games and this one is my son's favourite (and mine!). He has just turned four and asks to play this game several times a week. As with all Orchard Toys games, the quality is great with very sturdy cardboard pieces that fit together perfectly. Players roll the dice and move around the board, building their three houses and, when you land on a wolf, spinning the spinner to blow down somebody else's house.

The game is mostly down to chance, which is great because it means adults and children can play together and nobody has too much of an advantage. It also means that my son can't get too huffy when he doesn't win.

There is a skill element too: if you spin straw or sticks, you must choose which player's house to 'blow down'. Hopefully this is teaching my son a bit of logic and maturity: he is learning that it might be best to take a house piece from the person who has most, rather than just saying "Hahaha, I've taken Daddy's house again!" each time.

The wolf element means that the game isn't just a straightforward race to the finish, which is a big part of why we like it so much. I'd highly recommend this for age 3 and up (in fact, I'm planning on buying another as a Christmas gift!).