Profile for Graham > Reviews

Kiss Me Once [CD+DVD]
Kiss Me Once [CD+DVD]
Offered by MediaMine

5.0 out of 5 stars Catchy Kylie, 4 May 2014
This review is from: Kiss Me Once [CD+DVD] (Audio CD)
Hardly a bad track on it. Only Kylie can put the word Sex in three song titles and have a record that the kids can still listen to with you in the car. Even the bonus tracks are good.

Fun On Earth
Fun On Earth

2.0 out of 5 stars A kettle too long on the boil, 4 May 2014
This review is from: Fun On Earth (Audio CD)
My Father always said a kettle too long on the boil does not make good tea - he was right.

What we have here is an attempt to make an album that has been a struggle for Mr. Taylor. Whether it was lapses in inspiration or interruptions from other commitments such as touring and family life we can only speculate but this album has be touted for some years now and has been very slow coming to fruition.

I am a lifelong Queen fan and I enjoy very much, many of Roger's solo recordings however this is not one of them. From the clever title not being reflected in the tone/mood of the music to the contradiction of a inner sleeve picture of a drummer in a rock n' roll band posing with his guitar the whole thing just jars.

But what about the music itself?

Its not the worst thing I have ever heard and the songs do grow on you a little with repeated play but its hard not to criticise this album which sounds like a collection of B-Sides.

The opener One Night Stand has been knocking around since the last album Electric Fire and obviously was not worthy to merit inclusion there. It sounds like a cross between an outtake from The Cross' Album Shove It and an articulated lorry reversing (with that horrible beeping sound permeating the recording).

Other songs like Sunny Day, Small, Say It's Not True have all been available in various guises over the last decade, in my opinion the previously released versions were far superior. Then when you consider that these few tracks are probably the better ones on the album it doesn't say much for the remaining tracks which have some truly awful lyrics. "If love was blood I'd have hemophilia" being a stand out example.

Roger released this album along side a career spanning box set that was rush released in a botched fashion for the Christmas market and subsequently pulled due to a number of problems with its release. It seems that this recording was finished off for the same reasons - clear shop before Christmas and get it finished for once and for all so we can go touring with Adam Lambert but all in all its a disappointing affair.

Queen completionists will buy this - I doubt too many others will.

'74 Jailbreak
'74 Jailbreak

5.0 out of 5 stars Good things come in small packages, 9 Jan. 2014
This review is from: '74 Jailbreak (Audio CD)
Only five tracks but every one is a gem. Pure class from the Bon Scott era. No filler and no complaints from me.

Hungarian Rhapsody
Hungarian Rhapsody

3.0 out of 5 stars Bland for a great band, 9 Jan. 2014
This review is from: Hungarian Rhapsody (Audio CD)
As I own a copy of the original VHS recording this adds very little new aside from the documentary. I went to see this in the cinema on its release too and the sound for the cinema mix was awful but thankfully they seem to have put it right here.

Nice to have - not need to have and unfortunately Queen fans such as myself would like to see something other than re-hashed product from Messers May and Taylor these days.

Star Wars The Old Republic Encyclopedia
Star Wars The Old Republic Encyclopedia
by Ian Ryan

5.0 out of 5 stars The Force is Strong in this one, 9 Jan. 2014
A big coffee table style book. A must for those who can tear themselves away from the game to look at it. Glad I bought it but still have not got around to reading it - I dip in and out of it and enjoy it very much between gaming.

Tomy Aquadoodle Mr Men and Little Miss - Mini Mats Drawing Toy
Tomy Aquadoodle Mr Men and Little Miss - Mini Mats Drawing Toy
Offered by Lackenstrand Toys

4.0 out of 5 stars Mr. Men - but not old skool, 9 Jan. 2014
These sets are great fun for very young kids. Coloring with just water. No messy paint to content with and they dry out again pretty fast for re-use. My daughter loves this set but her Daddy doesn't think the new Mr. Men look as good as the original ones!

Foo Fighters - Live in London/Skin and Bones [Acoustic Live] [DVD]
Foo Fighters - Live in London/Skin and Bones [Acoustic Live] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Foo Fighters
Offered by TwoRedSevens

5.0 out of 5 stars Two sides of a great band, 9 Jan. 2014
Two very different concerts by one very special band. AND Brian May and Roger Taylor feature...what more could you ask for?

VEO iPad Air Case Full Body Ultra Slim Smart Case for the iPad Air 2013 (5th Generation), Black
Offered by Purplemoose007

4.0 out of 5 stars Nearly had a fit but then it did fit!, 9 Jan. 2014
Do not despair if at first the ipad keeps popping up at one side and does not appear to fit - I thought I had the same problem but I managed to find the way to get it to fit. You need to slide the ipad in towards the spine of the cover and get that inner side to clip in first then press down the outer edge and finally go back and fully secure the inner side 100% of the way. To be honest I was pissed off when I first got mine as I'd lined up the outer edge and the inner side of the ipad just kept springing up and as I was about to give up on it and as I was explaining the issue to my wife it clicked into place.

For:
Good quality
Good price
Sturdy secure home for my ipad

Against:
Delivery a little slow from the company concerned
Getting the ipad to fit was tricky at first and I'd be uninclined to remove it from the case now that its in in case I struggle to get it back in again.
Not sure you can do much about this issue but the weight of the cover does make it feel double the weight of what is supposed to be a light tablet.

Gets four stars dropped one really due to the hassle getting it to clip to the ipad.

I'm a happy bunny now.

Gem Camera Case for Canon IXUS 115 HS, 220 HS
Gem Camera Case for Canon IXUS 115 HS, 220 HS
Offered by GEM Bags & Cases

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect, 11 July 2013
Slim and attractive - does the job of protecting my micro camera. Not much more that I can say really!

The Panther
The Panther
by Nelson DeMille

1.0 out of 5 stars A lost kitten, 11 July 2013
This review is from: The Panther (Paperback)
I love Nelson Demille's books. I love wisecracking cop John Corey and his lovely wife. I did NOT love this book.

When I started reading this book in October 2012 I thought I'd read all the other John Corey books in the series. About 100 pages in I discovered, by way of constant references back to a previous case, that I had skipped The Lion. Even though the ending of that book had been given away by reading this one, I nonetheless stopped reading this book and acquired The Lion and raced through it - a really good read. The Lion had claws.

Then I picked up this book where I'd left off. At first I thought maybe I'd confuse the two villans and the stories but the book was so vastly inferior that was not ever going to happen. The book is 600+ pages and properly edited down, I reckon you could make a fair short story out of it - its that poor. The Panther is like the neighbour's lost kitten - barely seen.

I'm not going to say much more other than like all the other people who gave this one star, I am doing so with a heavy heart. I usually think 1 star reviews have their expectations too high or are hard to please - in this case they are all spot on.

I will read Nelson's next book because one bad book does not make you a bad author and I still think Detective Corey can straighten himself out and deliver some more fast paced drama without constantly referring back to Ted Nash and previous exploits.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6