Profile for AnLe > Reviews

Filtered Light & Other Stories
Filtered Light & Other Stories
by Heikki Hietala

5.0 out of 5 stars In the hands of a master short storyteller., 25 April 2014
There is something to please every reader in 'Filtered Light & Other Stories': - an air of the mysterious, the spine-tingling and chilling, the magical, but also something held-back and realistic - and all this is infused with a soft and clever sense of humour throughout.

Heikki Hietala has researched different subjects and allows his readers to feel drawn in to every story in a gentle, unhurried and confident way. At times I felt I was reading Edgar Allan Poe, at others Alice Munroe, Elizabeth Strout, then stories worthy of Scheherazade's imagination and allure or out of a science fiction book.

It is not easy to write short stories that are both captivating but also have an economy of words. Heikki Hietala very subtly, yet masterfully, manages to weave his stories and each one leaves the reader with a different taste. There is nothing clumsy or crude about Heikki Hietala's writing; it flows well and is well-paced. So much is said between the lines and the stories linger in the reader's mind long after they are over.

His stories are evocative and well worth the read! I would definitely recommend them without hesitation.

In the Moon of Asterion
In the Moon of Asterion
by Rebecca Lochlann
Price: 8.72

5.0 out of 5 stars Yet one more page-turner!, 22 April 2014
Like the two previous books in the series, ('The Year-god's Daughter' and 'The Thinara King') I couldn't put this one down, either! I stayed up until 3 am to finish it, and when it was over, I started feeling real withdrawal symptoms! Indeed, I have gone about the house today, and all I can think about are Menoetius, Aridela, Selene, Themiste and Chrysoleon and how their stories will unfold and develop in the next book! I cannot wait!

Rebecca Lochlann's incredible imagination, her obvious extensive research, her love of myths and her effortless, seamless and wonderful way of writing made me very much a part of her world. She blends myth with research in such a way that, to me, she is one of the best modern day storytellers! Her use of prophecies and messages in dreams, the magical, mystical world of the unseen, only heighten the novel for me - these are the pure essence of life and they were dealt with in a very believable yet otherworldly way.

Her characters are so real, I could almost see them in front of me. Her storylines are also well-intertwined, and loose-threads come together at the end of the third book in a satisfactory manner. The pace of this book is as good as the two previous ones - it is a page-turner, but there are many tender moments and also others infused with such eroticism! Well-paced and balanced.

Rebecca Lochlann has a great gift and I am glad she's sharing it with her readers. I would recommend her books without any hesitation.

What an honour and an adventure it is to be immersed into her incredible imagination, to be a part of her inner world, even for a brief time!

The Long Shadow
The Long Shadow
Price: 3.01

5.0 out of 5 stars A well-rounded read., 25 Mar 2014
This review is from: The Long Shadow (Kindle Edition)
The Long Shadow covered all fronts: politics, emotions, war, human suffering, it was beautifully written with dramatic characters that stay in the mind. It was obviously very well researched and the reader was able to follow each turn of events with ease...it flowed. The pace was good and the voices of the different characters distinct.

I got to see a side of Salonika that I would never have thought actually existed but, of course, did! Loretta Proctor made the contrasts between England and Greece very clear, and yet made both interesting.

I especially associated with Andrew/Andreas Cassimatis' feeling of not belonging anywhere. I think she handled that well. I felt for him. I may not be English, but I grew up in London, so I feel very English...and yet, I'm not, and I feel very Greek, too. It's a difficult thing to get across and I think she managed it with a lot of sensitivity. Well done!

All-in-all, I read through it quite quickly and it's been on my mind on/off ever since.

A great book.

Dying Phoenix
Dying Phoenix
by Loretta Proctor
Price: 7.57

5.0 out of 5 stars A moving but also heart-breaking read., 25 Mar 2014
This review is from: Dying Phoenix (Paperback)
I have to be honest and say that I loved the book but found it a difficult read...not because of the writing, (which flowed beautifully), or because of the characters (who I'm still thinking about), or even the story (which I found worked well and wove all threads together with satisfaction at the end)....no...all that actually made it an easy read in that it was well-written, with strong, memorable characters and a plotline that kept me.

What I found really hard was reading about the pain and hatred that hit my country. Loretta Proctor portrayed the dire situations that Greece lived through during the junta so realistically, it made me sick to my stomach to read about some of the atrocities, the tortures and betrayal that went on. All the way through it, she made lots of painful facts known. But she also showed the other side, the side of the generals and those hardly touched by what went on, so I thought she kept a balance which I liked very much.

It also made me uneasy, because, although we're not living through another junta now, I am afraid of what the political situation of Greece will turn into. Have we learnt enough as a country not to repeat the same mistakes? Have we grown enough? I hope so!

Overall, a very very strong book! Tough, but strong. Loretta Proctor has researched it very well and from all sides and it shows.

For anyone interested in finding out more about what went on during the dictatorship in Greece from 1967-1974, then I would recommend this book.

The Thinara King (The Child of the Erinyes)
The Thinara King (The Child of the Erinyes)
by Rebecca Lochlann
Price: 8.67

5.0 out of 5 stars A book that swept me away from beginning to end..., 11 Dec 2012
In one word...Unputdownable!! It took me about 2 and a half days to read and I can't wait for the third book in the series to come out!

The characters are believable, flawed and yet I felt very sympathetic to their plight and pain, I wanted them to succeed. The book is well researched and very well written. It flows smoothly and doesn't feel too laden with historical, academic facts - I felt I was in a very particular time and place, and that is no easy feat to achieve!! The pace is perfect - neither too fast nor too slow. The story is evocative and sparks all sorts of emotions in the reader (Ah, Menoetius! *sigh*!!!) and yet, manages to keep them in balance.

I loved Rebecca Lochlann's mixture of visions and dreams with reality. They were done in a very masterful way, which made them both believable and their own sort of reality, and I also thought the way the three main characters' world have been intertwined was very skilfully done. I can't wait to see how their lives unravel and continue to influence each other unravel in the next books.

I look forward to book no.# 3 - 'In the Moon of Asterion' and can't wait for it to be published. I would highly recommend this book for lovers of historical fiction, adventure and love!

The Crimson Bed
The Crimson Bed
by Loretta Proctor
Price: 6.19

5.0 out of 5 stars Lost in colours, 7 May 2011
This review is from: The Crimson Bed (Paperback)
'The Crimson Bed' has everything a historical romance should have: a good plot, characters that have weight to them, are well-rounded and vibrant and come alive though the dialogue. It's well-written and has the reader hooked from the start. Set in the Pre-raphaelite period, the colours and beautiful imagery described in the paintings come out in the writing - it's a painting in words!
I would recommend this book without any reserations.