Profile for E. Ford > Reviews

GoKi Dolls Carry Cradle Basket
GoKi Dolls Carry Cradle Basket
Price: 17.45

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely basket, 13 Jan 2011
We're very pleased with this moses basket which we got for our one year old daughter. It's a big size (I reckon you could get a newborn in it!), and it comes with a padded mat for under the baby doll, a pillow and a quilt, all beautifully made, it's really very good value. We're very pleased with it. Our little one doesn't play with it yet but I think it's because she's too young for imaginative play.

9ct Yellow Gold 5mm Peridot Gemstone Stud Earrings presented in a Mico jewellery box

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful Earrings, 13 Jan 2011
I am thrilled with these earrings which came today. I love the colour of peridot, preferring it to the much more expensive emerald. I was looking for some studs because my one year old is constantly trying to grab long earrings. These are perfect. A beautiful colour stone, a generous size of stone, and a lovely gold setting. They came in an attractive box, too. Highly recommend.

LilyPadz Non Absorbent Breast Pads
LilyPadz Non Absorbent Breast Pads
Price: 7.66

3.0 out of 5 stars They're gathering dust, 14 Nov 2010
If like me you breast feed your baby on demand, unpredictably throughout the day/night, your breasts probably over-produce milk because they're always on standby, and you get a bit leaky. I get a very strong let down too when feeding, so need a good breast pad on the breast I'm not feeding from - lily padz couldn't cope with this, I ended up with a pool of milk under the pad, which is difficult to manage when you've got your arms full of baby and you're trying to swap sides. So I only use them if I'm going for an evening out and want a nice line under my clothes. Admittedly, they are better now I've been breastfeeding for 10 months, they were really hopeless in the beginning (6 weeks). The other problem, which is just sheer laziness on my part, is that I wash them and forget about them, and find them covered in dust somewhere a couple of days later... and they need washing again, I'm not very good at the whole washing part... I think you need to be a bit organised or be using them all the time.

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars Very practical rather than glamourous, 11 Nov 2010
I never got on with "peephole" nursing tops because of the faff of undoing a bra underneath and trying to locate the hole. This one is made up of a flap coming up underneath and one coming down over the top. This is a very practical design, with easy one-handed access. The underneath flap holds up well on the side you're not feeding on, keeping you covered. It's very comfortable. As some other reviewer noted it's not a very long top but it is adequate to wear with jeans for example. I bought 3, two black and a grey, and pretty much lived in them during the months when my baby was feeding every couple of hours. They aren't glamourous, but they are practical. I recommend black, as the overhanging flap is less obvious, it looks a bit bizarre in a light colour. One drawback is that they're quite high necked and tight round the arms, I used to get a bit stinky if I exerted myself and sweated at all!
All round a good, practical breastfeeding top for when practicality outweighs looks, when your baby is little and is feeding all the time.

The Fantastic Star Night Light Projector - Cast a Cosmic Projection & Coloured Light Sequences around your room
Offered by TOPCITY
Price: 2.70

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice light, not well made, don't buy for small children, 11 Nov 2010
The light this little device shines is lovely and soothing. You can have a static white light (good night light) or a colour-changing red-green-blue light which is really nice. However, I've had two, and both have come apart easily, the ring around the top is not glued on well and that and the lid come off with hardly any pressure. I wanted to give one to my small (3 yr) nephew for his room but I wouldn't because I don't think it would be safe as he could pull the thing apart with no effort. It's fine for my baby's room as she can't get out of her cot (yet).

Breastflow 9 oz BPA-Free Bottle (1-Pack)
Breastflow 9 oz BPA-Free Bottle (1-Pack)

3.0 out of 5 stars It's OK but plastic is very malleable, 11 Nov 2010
I can't comment on how good the teat device is as my breastfed baby has refused to be bottle fed and refused this bottle as well (at 8 months). She is now drinking well from a free flow beaker.
However, I have used the bottle because it comes with a good screw on cap making it useful for transport of milk to and from childcare.
However, two drawbacks are:
The volume marks on the bottle (oz, millilitres) bear no resemblance to quantities measured in other bottles or beakers so I wouldn't trust them for measuring out water for formula.
The plastic is not sturdy compared to, for example, TT closer to nature bottles, and is not heat-proof. For example, we made formula in this bottle with very hot water, put it in the fridge to cool with the lid closed, and the bottle contracted to become totally misshapen. Then later I filled the bottle with boiling water and it molded back into its original shape. I would recommend keeping this in mind and not heat/steam sterilising this bottle as it may change shape.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 26, 2011 4:58 PM BST

Tippitoes Swing Shut Safety Gate Narrow
Tippitoes Swing Shut Safety Gate Narrow
Offered by BabySecurity
Price: 37.73

5.0 out of 5 stars Good safety gate - very pleased, 11 Nov 2010
I was going to go for one of the Lindam gates as they seemed the most popular, but then I realised the space I wanted it for was too narrow (moral = measure your space!). This gate came up with the best reviews of the narrow gates. I'm really pleased with it. This gate, in my opinion, has some of the best features of any gate I've seen:
It opens in both directions
It doesn't automatically close, you can leave it open
If you give it a little push, it swings closed and locks.
The opening is very easy (one-handed) when you know how, but not obvious, so hopefully quite childproof (squeeze AND lift).
It's a pressure system so no screws. Mine holds fairly well on two smooth gloss-painted wooden uprights, it slides a tiny bit.
Also included are "cups" to screw into the wall into which the pressure pads can be secured. I haven't used these yet but probably will as my baby gets bigger and stronger.
It feels sturdy and well made.
I would definitely buy another one. I currently have it in the doorway between kitchen and living room and my little 10 month old comes and rattles it and stretches out her little hand through it towards me while I'm cooking dinner. So cute.

Hypnobirthing: The Mongan Method: A Natural Approach to a Safe, Easier, More Comfortable Birthing
by Marie Mongan

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent childbirth preparation, 3 Mar 2010
We bught this book when i was 20 weeks pg and used it to prepare for the birth. We worked quite hard but it paid off, I had a homebirth using only TENS and a birth pool for pain management, and i believe I managed so well and laboured so fast (8 hours for 1st baby) because of the techniques in this book. Would highly recommend.