ARRAY(0x9de93408)

Profile for Moonlight Shadow > Reviews

Content by Moonlight Shadow

Moonlight Shadow (Lancashire, England)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Stereo Spirit
Stereo Spirit
Offered by Direct Entertainment UK
Price: 7.89

4.0 out of 5 stars I enjoyed this- nice, easy listening music, 20 Jan 2013
This review is from: Stereo Spirit (Audio CD)
I don't know the artist or the genre, but I saw this and thought "why not?" I enjoyed it a lot, it's nice music with clear vocals. The songs are noticably different, albiet with some overlap in styles which is of course understandable. I can't really add much more right now- no one track really stood out, but it's not *that* kind of album, it's more an album to listen to through from start to finish.

If you enjoy world music (whatever that means) then I think you will enjoy this. If nothing else, it's good quality music well performed, exactly what a good CD should be.

World Of Music: Hawaii
World Of Music: Hawaii
Offered by Not2day Media
Price: 4.95

3.0 out of 5 stars Exactly what it says on the box!, 20 Jan 2013
This review is from: World Of Music: Hawaii (Audio CD)
It's kind of hard to explain exactly what this is, without simply saying the very obvious. It's music from Hawaii! You WILL have heard this style before, more likely than not as an ironic piece of background music in an airport lounge, a dentists or in a movie in which a character is in such a setting, perhaps just waking up in a calm state before anarachy/reality kicks in (Gremlins 2, for example.)

But yeah, although for some mental trigger realted reason it doesn't conjour up Hawaii for me, it is nice music, the sort of thing you might want to have playing away in the background while you chill out, or just something to listen to while you work. I'm not sure if it would work eg in the car.

I guess a criticism is that it can sound a little same-y, very same-y at times. But other than that, it is what is it claims to be- I'll give it three stars for that.

This Is Spinal Tap [Australian Import]
This Is Spinal Tap [Australian Import]
Offered by sellerfellauk
Price: 12.56

3.0 out of 5 stars Well, OK, it's not bad!, 20 Jan 2013
Firstly, to understand the cover, watch the film! But if you haven't seen the film, then surely you wouldn't be here!

This is a selection of the songs that you hear in the movie- essentially, the soundtrack, but because it's a movie about a ban it does feel a bit more like a normal band's album release. It doesn't actually sound overly comical or "silly", nor does it contain dialogue.

The music is decent, but not classic- but then it's not really meant to be classic rock anyway. I enjoyed it.

The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas
The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas
by John Boyne
Price: 5.03

3.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable without being a classic, 19 Jan 2013
I enjoyed this, it was simple to read and not too "taxing." I'd call this a good "bathroom" or "bus ride" book. The story is a basic narrative, which as other reviewers point out has taken quite a few historical liberties, but is none the less a decent tale, albiet certainly not a classic. I'd say it's written for children really, despite the fact that it claims not to be.

Irish Pan Pipes
Irish Pan Pipes
Offered by Direct Entertainment UK
Price: 9.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Not much to add, 18 Jan 2013
This review is from: Irish Pan Pipes (Audio CD)
I really have little I can add to this, other than to say that it's Irish pan pipes music (as it says on the box) - some pleasant tunes here, something you might want to have on in the background when you are working, or to calm down etc.

The Beatles Classics Performed on Pan Pipes
The Beatles Classics Performed on Pan Pipes

3.0 out of 5 stars What it says on the box, 18 Jan 2013
I'd be really surpirsed if anyone actually read this, but yeah, whats to say- it's Beatles music on pan pipes. Not bad for something to whack on in the background I suppose, but above and beyond that really more the sort of thing you might play once or twice for fun then put away. Not bad, not great, just a nice bit of music.

The Prague Cemetery
The Prague Cemetery
by Umberto Eco
Price: 6.29

2.0 out of 5 stars Creative, but sloppy ungripping, 18 Jan 2013
This review is from: The Prague Cemetery (Paperback)
I was expecting to come here and see this feted with rave reviews, and felt in the first instance I would have to justify a negative one. However, this appears to be not the case, as there is quite a scope of reviews, which in itself says somethign about the book.

To begin with, it's unique. A stroy told from various perspectives, mainly the main character's own narrative, but also the helpful narrator and the alter-ego character. The story starts in it's present- late 19th century Paris- and works backwards through various incidents, all of which seem to involve the main character in some way.

What's "not to like" about it? Well, it can be confusing. Real-life characters pop up all the time, with no background or footnotes on who they actualyl where- something that isn't alays clear. Unless the reader is well read in the history of this period, then it can be confusing. And I have no intention of checking all the various characters etc on wikipedia- a novel (which this claims to be) should be able to do that.

However, the bottom line is that it simply is not a gripping read- reading this to the end seem more of a labour of love (once I start, I like to finish) but I couldn't ever really get into it, nor was there much of a story or developing plot to follow. I think there was a good bit in the middle, with one or two twists, but thn it tailed off again.

Levelling the Land
Levelling the Land
Offered by jim-exselecky
Price: 8.99

5.0 out of 5 stars "I've seen the things my daddy's done, and I've seen the medals that he's won...", 13 Jan 2013
This review is from: Levelling the Land (Audio CD)
So far, everyone has given this 5 stars! I was planning too as well (so I have), I'm not just wilting before the peer pressure!

But yeah, this is really good. Despite what the band claim, this definatly has a folky-protesty left wing feel to it. It deserves 5 stars for the sheer variety of songs, varied in both musical style, tempo, lyrics and content.

From the upbeat "One way" (of life and that's your own) to the powerful, protest tones of "Another Man's War" (the title of this review is from that) this cd has a very enjoyable collection of songs. I also like the slightly vauge "The Game" , especially its chorus, which just screams "sing along to this." A good one to play in the car too.

The highlight of this (excellent) collection is the moving anti-drinking song "15 years". "The victims of their world, are advertised on posters, just a beach and a pretty girl..." Indeed.

Country, Bluegrass & Mountain Music
Country, Bluegrass & Mountain Music
Price: 6.39

4.0 out of 5 stars Old time, simple country style music, 13 Jan 2013
I have this on in the background now, as part of a bigger play list. I'm not sure if I could really stand the whole thing start to finish, as it's not really the sort of music you listen to for hours! Never the less, I like it- the songs are basic, the recordings are old, but the performers can sing, the music is nice and the voices are in tune.

Classic Bites
Classic Bites
Offered by b68solutions
Price: 3.49

4.0 out of 5 stars German Rock- Loud and lively pop, 13 Jan 2013
This review is from: Classic Bites (Audio CD)
The Scorpions are most famous for a single song- "Winds of Change" - and *that* album cover. If you haven't seen it, don't look it up! So here we have a collection of their "classics," which actually misses off some of their other well known songs.

However, it's still a top notch collection of heavy rock , spanning several years. No song other than the Winds of Change (which is track 18) is a real "classic" but they are all pretty good songs to have rocking on the CD at work, or in the car. The "goodbye" ballad "To Be with you in heaven" is perhaps my favourite.

If the price is right, and you like kokrock, then yeah, check it out!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3