Profile for S. Jones > Reviews

S. Jones (UK)

The Long Earth
The Long Earth

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting but Ultimately Unsatisfying, 25 Aug. 2012
This review is from: The Long Earth (Kindle Edition)
Some of the other reviews of this book tended to focus on the fact that The Long Earth is not like a discworld book, that it isn't funny, etc. I paid no heed to these types of comments, as it is quite obvious to me that this wasn't intended to be either of those things. (Nation was hardly a bundle of laughs, either, but I enjoyed that). Other reviewers also commented that The Long Earth didn't have a proper ending. They were right.

I quite liked The Long Earth. The idea was interesting, and seemed to me to have plenty of scope for creativity and intriguing plots. The events of the book are quite well developed and there is a mysterious set of events for which the main characters search for a cause. However, this is as far as it goes. The outcome of this search is something of an anti-climax and the book, as a whole, ends in a very flat way. As a result, The Long Earth is ultimately unsatisfying. I really hope the next book has a proper ending next time, and a more satisfying plot.

Some of the writing is a bit poor, too. There are some clumsily constructed sentences that needed to be re-read to be understood.

Finally, I found myself slightly disappointed by the use of the name 'Lobsang' for one of the main characters, as this isn't the first time Terry Pratchett has used this name for one of his characters. It just felt a bit lazy.

Very finally, The Long Earth has done enough to get me interested in the series to follow, but the next book will need to be considerably better.

Prophecy
Prophecy

3.0 out of 5 stars A slightly jarring read, 28 Mar. 2012
This review is from: Prophecy (Kindle Edition)
Like some of the other reviewers, I am not particularly impressed with Bruno's 'sleuthing' in this book! As the latest addition to team Walsingham (along with Shardlake and Shakespeare), he seems to be the most inept and uninteresting.

My main issue, though, is that Prophecy is written in the present tense. I found this jarring and found myself having to readjust to it every time I picked it up to continue reading. When I started the book, I thought this might be a feature of the first chapter or two, and then it would settle back into a traditional past-tense narrative. It didn't.

The use of the present tense didn't add any sense of urgency or immediacy to the book. It just made it all seem a bit odd and slightly uncomfortable to read.

I really enjoyed 'Heresy', but 'Prophecy' wasn't quite up to the same standard. I'm not sure whether I like, or really care about what happens to, Giordiano Bruno, his view of the cosmos, or his method for remembering things.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 12, 2014 12:10 PM BST

The Heretics of De'Ath (The Chronicles of Brother Hermitage Book 1)
The Heretics of De'Ath (The Chronicles of Brother Hermitage Book 1)

3.0 out of 5 stars OK but nothing special, 28 Mar. 2012
This book began promisingly, with an interesting and sudden death under absurd circumstances, but after about the first page or two it seemed to lose some of its appeal. It all seemed a bit cartoonish and sketchy. The characters didn't really have any depth to them at all, and some of the plot just made no sense whatsoever (e.g. who attacked Brother Hermitage, and why?). It was amusing in places, but, overall, it just felt like the whole thing was galloping along towards a conclusion and there wasn't any time to explain things properly along the way. I'm still not entirely sure what was going on with the building work at the monastery, and I'm not 100% certain who the 'heretics' in the title were!

It did cost just 77p, though, and I did read it to its (somewhat unsatisfactory) conclusion.

There were half a dozen or so occasions where a word was missing from a sentence, so the whole thing really needed a good proof-read.

I don't think that I have any interest in any further doings of Brother Hermitage.

Statistics without Maths for Psychology
Statistics without Maths for Psychology
by Prof Christine Dancey

4.0 out of 5 stars A good, reassuring book, 26 Mar. 2007
This book does exactly what it claims to, namely 'Statistics without Maths for Psychology'. The book is pitched at the level of undergraduate students who aren't too confident with mathematical principles, but who need to understand the basic concepts of statistical methods as they apply to psychology. Another reviewer has criticised this book for not containing any mathematical formulae, but what else should one expect, given the book's title! There are plenty of statistics books that cater for the mathematically minded, but Dancey & Reidy's book seems to suit most undergraduate psychology students, who neither need, nor wish, to have to struggle with the underlying mathematical concepts and complicated equations.