Profile for Rena Ruadh > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8
Dark Chocolate Murder
Dark Chocolate Murder

1.0 out of 5 stars Beyond silly!, 18 Nov 2014
I gave up at 57%. First, the writing was amateurish at best, the characters completely unbelievable. But for me, the straw that broke the camel's back was the police officer. I don't know if the author believes that Europe is still in the middle ages, but no police officer, no matter how prejudiced against women, or American women he is, would behave like this, declaring somebody a suspect without even looking for a motive, dragging a woman forcefully out of a shop. Sorry, but this book is ridiculous beyond words!

Garland Roses
Garland Roses

1.0 out of 5 stars Very, very bad, 6 May 2014
This review is from: Garland Roses (Kindle Edition)
Somebody should remove the bracket keys from this author's computer keyboard! I cannot even begin to describe just how annoying this book is as the author continuously explains things to the reader in brackets. Things, that is, that she has explained in the regular text on the page before, or two pages ago. So: readers are so stupid they cannot remember that on one page, Neo, the heroine's hound is barking. On the next page, the author again talks about Neo (the one who has been barking) who now sits next to her... Yes, believe me, that bad! You will find several examples of this on every page. The descriptions are completely over the top, so much so that the writing actually drowns under them. In fact, the entire writing style is dire and reads more like a middle school essay than a published book. I have nearly finished this book and I'm not sure if I can make it all the way to the end. This book is almost physically painful to read.

The Burning (Coroner Jenny Cooper Series)
The Burning (Coroner Jenny Cooper Series)
by M. R. Hall

4.0 out of 5 stars Solid murder mystery, 19 Mar 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This was my first book by this author and I thoroughly enjoyed it. The characters were believable, the writing flowed and was easy to read. I liked the plot and enjoyed the twists, particularly the curve ball the author threw the readers at the end. Altogether I can really recommend this author.

Fire On The Island (The Vigilati Series Book 1)
Fire On The Island (The Vigilati Series Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the most enjoyable books I've recently read, 6 Feb 2014
Having deleted so many self-published books from my Kindle recently, where I did not progress beyond the first 10%, I was delighted when I started this book and found myself completely captivated.

The book is well-written with good grammar, spelling and punctuation. The story caught my attention from the very beginning and did not disappoint with characters that come alive for the reader and are very likeable. The two main characters had the necessary chemistry between them that makes a romance believable. And finally a writer who gets Gaelic words and grammar right!

Altogether, this is an extremely entertaining book that kept me reading and looking for the next book in the series. I appreciated the fact that it was a complete story that did not leave the reader with a cliffhanger, but still part of something larger.

The Vincent Boys
The Vincent Boys
by Abbi Glines

1.0 out of 5 stars Dreadful!, 8 Jan 2014
This review is from: The Vincent Boys (Paperback)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I must say that I'm happy I did not have to pay for this book, which I had to force myself to finish. However, as I received the book through vine, I felt that I had no option.

Let's start with the writing, which, to be blunt, has the feel of adolescence. A school essay springs to mind.

Second, there are the characters, which, sadly are one-dimensional and simply boring. Additionally, I severely disliked the lead characters. They were dishonest and cheating. Committing adultery is not something that I enjoy reading about, in fact, it is something I despise. The fact that Ash and Beau never apologised to Sawyer made things only worse. That it was Sawyer in the end who apologised and received a beating from Beau made the entire situation even more ridiculous. Ashton comes across as a spoiled child with a nasty streak, not the good girl she is supposed to be. Then we have the `bad girls' who are so unbearably one-dimensional that they were almost laughable.

Moreover, there are misogynistic touches in the book that rub me wrong. The pretty girls are supposed to `belong' to the football players who have their pick of the crop. Yes, this is only mentioned in one chapter but it was enough to raise my hackles.

Altogether I am sorry for the time I wasted on this book - time I'll never get back.

The Birthday Scandal
The Birthday Scandal
by Leigh Michaels

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 8 Jan 2014
This review is from: The Birthday Scandal (Paperback)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I had high hopes for this book, having read and enjoyed some of the author's other books. There were several problems I had. The biggest problem was probably that I disliked most of the characters. I just could not grow to care about any of them. Their behaviour, their interactions with each other - no, thank you. Next came the actions of several of the main characters that did not seem to make much sense. A lot felt contrived, such as the reason why Isabel rejected Max. In fact, it was their interactions that I disliked the most. As for Lucien's part of the story, he comes across as unbelievably immature and unlikable. Emily, also, was characterised in a way that I almost wished Gavin would simply shrug his shoulders and go off to find greener pastures. Altogether, this was not an enjoyable reading experience.

Snowblind
Snowblind
by Christopher Golden

4.0 out of 5 stars 3 1/2 stars..., 6 Dec 2013
This review is from: Snowblind (Paperback)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This was a decent read, but not an overwhelmingly good one. I enjoyed the structure of the book - in the first part, the foundation was laid with a narrative of the first great storm in the past, moving then to the next part and the present time. The reader was introduced to the main characters in a sufficiently detailed way, however, like the reviewer before me, I could not really grow to like the characters overly much; I felt detached from them. The concept was good - I cannot go into detail without giving things away, but it was original and clever to a certain extent. Still, questions remained unanswered and the reader is left to wonder 'why'. I loved the ending - very cleverly done.

The book was well-written from a grammatical point of view and after a few self-published Kindle books that were atrocious in that respect, I appreciate that. Would I read another book by this author? Probably.

The Lady Wore Cowboy Boots (Texas Dreams Book 1)
The Lady Wore Cowboy Boots (Texas Dreams Book 1)

1.0 out of 5 stars I gave up..., 24 Sep 2013
...halfway through the book. It was too painful. The story was completely contrived and over the top, utterly silly. The worst, however, was the grammar, spelling, sentences. Frequently sentences would not make sense. When I came across 'Wee' from a French modiste instead of 'Oui', I finally gave up. The mistakes are too numerous to list, 'where' instead of 'wear', 'bobble' instead of 'bauble'... The author is only semi-literate and this 'book' should have undergone severe editing for spelling, grammar and content. An absolute disaster.

Someone To Believe In (The O'Neils Book 1)
Someone To Believe In (The O'Neils Book 1)

2.0 out of 5 stars Unfulfilled potential, 26 July 2013
The storyline was interesting, but, sadly, the execution was lacking, which is a shame as there is real potential in this book.

First, one of my favourite gripes, the 'foreign' language. It is obvious that the author has tried to do some research into Irish expressions. She must have obtained those verbally as, for example, the word is NOT 'Shankee' but 'seannachie' - Gaelic/Irish for storyteller. Then, the dish is called boxty, not boxy. Things like this show lazy research.

Another reviewer mentioned that the author has included all Irish clichés into the story that she could find. This gets very boring very quickly.

My big problem is the ridiculous supposition that the indentity of the Street Angel is unknown to all and sundry (including the press!) and must be protected at all costs. A high profile trial is by necessity in the public domain! Any first year student of journalism would have been able to find out who the Street Angel was within minutes, let alone seasoned journalists. That, unfortunately, made the whole setup ridiculous and in consequence tainted the whole book for me.

The story had a lot of potential and could have been really entertaining - a shame.

Special Delivery (A Romantic Comedy) (Hollywood Hills Series Book 1)
Special Delivery (A Romantic Comedy) (Hollywood Hills Series Book 1)

2.0 out of 5 stars Shallow, boring product placement manual, 17 July 2013
'Hi Hilary.' I greeted her as I walked in the room.
'Hope, you look well.' We air kiss as I give her a hug.

Here are two mistakes in one brief paragraph. It should have been `walked into the room' as the heroine actually entered the room and did not walk aimlessly within. Next, we have a prime example of the thing that annoys me considerably with this book - the change between past and present tense. Writing from a first person singular point of view does not automatically mean that the author can swap tenses without rhyme or reason!

Next, the editing is not good with some words missing. Or Brett suddenly becomes Brad on the next page.

The most annoying thing, however, is that the book obviously cannot decide what it wants to be: an advertising manual for clothes and shoes or a shallow love story/chick lit book. The characters are one-dimensional, boring and nothing much happens. I stuck with the book till the end but had to force myself. I can't even say that the story had potential because, sadly, there was none. Shallow is the only word that springs to mind when attempting to summarise the book.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8