Profile for @WriteIntoPrint > Reviews

Content by @WriteIntoPrint

@WriteIntoPrint (London, United Kingdom)

The Ripening Time
The Ripening Time
Price: 0.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Exquisite, 17 Jun 2012
This review is from: The Ripening Time (Kindle Edition)
Exquisite: that's the one word that describes this finely remastered masterpiece. If you yearn for the immersion that every now and then an author can provide, this Sixties-based classic will not disappoint.

I'm in Heaven
I'm in Heaven
Price: 2.99

4.0 out of 5 stars What a Carry On!, 7 Jun 2012
This review is from: I'm in Heaven (Kindle Edition)
Only Joking, Terry (I sometimes flick on a Carry On film to annoy the wife). I wasn't sure the author would pull off the pathos element in his MC but he certainly did - took advantage of it, in fact. And he'll be preaching to the choir with some of his evaluations of the Brit media figures. The premise, though not a new one, carried the story well due to the structure, which I felt was a teeny bit rushed at the end - my only nitpick. Well worth the couple of quid. A recommended bit of fun.

Purple
Purple
Price: 2.05

5.0 out of 5 stars A rare discovery - a book for all ages, 10 May 2012
This review is from: Purple (Kindle Edition)
Purple will remain one of my all time favourites, of that much I'm sure. It's not often that a story resonates and captivates in such a satisfying manner. To that purpose, I am shouting from the rooftops (well, my editing blog) to steer you towards this beautifully written story - Stef wouldn't steer you wrong...

Daisychains of Silence
Daisychains of Silence
Price: 0.77

5.0 out of 5 stars Captivating..., 31 Oct 2011
I had the pleasure of reading this bitter-sweet tale when it was up for review on harpercollins. Amid the myriad praise from readers, I added my own, one-word review: "Captivating". Because it truly is; from the beautiful prose to the delicate and deep characterisation. I got excited about it and urged the author to not waste time on the snail-paced conventional route - why wait two years when we now have Kindle? I'm delighted that the author took my advice and has published this engaging novel. I'll be listing the author, Catherine, in my "author finds" feature, which is currently populated with one author only. You heard it here first: Daisychains is a must-read - captivating... Stef Mcdaid WriteIntoPrint @ukeditor

Her Fearful Symmetry
Her Fearful Symmetry
by Audrey Niffenegger
Price: 5.59

3.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable until the plot became unbelievable., 12 Aug 2010
This review is from: Her Fearful Symmetry (Paperback)
I haven't read the authors acclaimed novel, but the jacket blurb appealed and so I bought the book. There's a lot to admire about the way the author draws her characters: she has succeeded with the artifice of inference and I could suspend my disbelief with the whole ghost thing, how it worked (nicely constructed). However, about 2/3rds of the way through the book the plot became incredible, yet pedestrian: The whole 'time out dead' thing was most obviously tailored to fit her (well painted) ghost mechanics, and it became ludicrous that the twin would try to escape in this way; that Elspeth would agree; that Robert and his colleagues would indulge in such a conspiracy; and last, but not least, that a 21yr old fatality would not result in a post mortem. My disbelief came crashing to ground zero. The switch element between Elspeth/Edie and husband was equally unbelievable and I saw the 'twist'toward the end a mile off. To be fair I enjoyed the author's style but the resolution wasn't there for me.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 27, 2014 4:36 PM GMT

Three Day Road
Three Day Road
by Joseph Boyden
Price: 6.29

5.0 out of 5 stars Recommended reading., 7 Aug 2010
This review is from: Three Day Road (Paperback)
Deeply symbolic and evocative account of two friends who abandon their beautiful and spiritual surroundings to fight in the First World War. The friends react differently to the horrors of war. I fell into this book and was surprised to find it had received so few reviews. A must read kind of book ...

Men Are from Mars, Women Are from Venus: A Practical Guide for Improving Communication and Getting What You Want in Your Relationships: How to Get What You Want in Your Relationships
by John Gray
Price: 6.29

1.0 out of 5 stars Gray is from Mars ..., 7 Aug 2010
*This book is not intended to be funny* I warn you of this because the premises and analogies used by the author would be laughable; was in not for the offence caused to both sexes - though principally women. In fact, there are debunking sites dedicated to this psycho-babbling dreary book. You have been warned ...
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 22, 2011 10:23 PM BST