Profile for Kitaj > Reviews

Content by Kitaj

Kitaj (Sunny UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
Grammar Games and Activities 1 (Penguin English)
Grammar Games and Activities 1 (Penguin English)
by Peter Watcyn-Jones
Edition: Spiral-bound

4.0 out of 5 stars A useful resource, 17 Jun. 2016
A very useful book. Firstly, and other publishers PLEASE take note, it's spiral bound so it's easy to photocopy. Secondly, it has activities for every level, from beginner to advanced with 11 activities in each of the 5 sections. There are clear teaching instructions for each activity and it's very clear as to whether the activity is a teacher-led/whole class/group/pair or individual activity along with a further clear indication regarding the amount of preparation required. The index clearly shows which grammar structures are being used. All activities are between 10 and 30 minutes long, which gives plenty of time for pre-activity revision of the relevant structure plus follow-up time. I've deducted 1 star for having rather more Bingo games than I would have liked but I'm being a bit picky.... ;)

2017 Moleskine Malachite Green Large Weekly Notebook 18 Months Hard
2017 Moleskine Malachite Green Large Weekly Notebook 18 Months Hard

4.0 out of 5 stars This is not a LARGE diary, by any stretch of the imagination. However...., 6 May 2016
My bad. I didn't read the dimensions and assumed that LARGE meant A4, not smaller than A5. I will now have to buy a cheap and cheerful A4 diary....
Having said that, I love Moleskine products, it's as if they have designed products just for my lifestyle, so it's a useful, quality item - if a couple of quid overpriced. I will use it every day so I don't mind too much. And in future I'll read the description properly.

Common Mistakes at IELTS Advanced And How to Avoid Them
Common Mistakes at IELTS Advanced And How to Avoid Them
by Julie Moore

3.0 out of 5 stars Okay, but not worth the money., 6 May 2016
OK. 64 A5 pages for £8.50 is, IMO, not good value. This is a booklet rather than a book.
The book is divided into 9 sections each with three subsections which include exercises in the format of the IELTS test. At the end of the section there is a 'test'. The good news is that it is clear and concise. However, students taking IELTS Advanced should not have to be given information about the use of articles and punctuation and really they shouldn't have to be told about common spelling mistakes. These should surely have been part of their general learning. These three things form the first three sections of the book. It then goes on to give us three pages about prepositions (difficult and definitely a problem for students but only three pages?), describing statistics, compare and contrast advice,countable and uncountable/singular and plural (again, at IELTS advanced?) commonly confused nouns (useful), and using nouns and adjectives (probably helpful) and then an answer key. I would say that this is a handy book for teachers doing last-minute revision with their students or for students who are particularly flush and have money to send on any old book. I'm a big fan of the Cambridge IELTS Advanced books and I feel that this book does nothing to enhance what students should be learning from those books.
What this book told me is, that if these are common mistakes at IELTS Advanced then the students sitting the exam weren't properly prepared.

The Origin of Our Species
The Origin of Our Species
by Chris Stringer

5.0 out of 5 stars The best book I have read so far on this subject...., 23 April 2016
For anyone interested in anthropology this is an excellent book. It is written clearly and logically with precise explanations where necessary. Chris Stringer takes all the known evidence, explains the conclusions of other experts and then gives his own opinion, without resort to ego (so often found in scientific books). He explains where we came from and how we got to this stage of human development, in terms that are understandable to the layperson as well as to the academic.I cannot recommend this book too highly.

Nelson: The Sword of Albion
Nelson: The Sword of Albion

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent biography, 8 April 2016
I can't recommend this book too highly. Every page is interesting, well researched and informative. Believe the hype - this really is a very good biography bringing Nelson to life and painting him 'warts and all'. I can't imagine that there will be a better biography of Nelson. I have only two gripes - this biography has now meant that all other biographies are measured against it and will, inevitably, fall short. Secondly, I was pleased that I bought this on Kindle as the built-in dictionary was very useful. Sugden uses vocabulary that I've never encountered before, some of which (the specialist naval terminology) wasn't in the Kindle dictionary. I spent some time checking vocabulary, not all of which needed to be quite so unusual. However, these are minor gripes for a very enjoyable book. Highly recommended.

Ed Emberley's Drawing Book of Animals (Ed Emberley Drawing Books)
Ed Emberley's Drawing Book of Animals (Ed Emberley Drawing Books)
by Ed Emberley
Edition: Library Binding

5.0 out of 5 stars If you have children or work with children or just want to draw but have no ability GET THIS BOOK!!!!, 8 April 2016
Every parent and teacher should have this book - your children will be amazed at your ability to draw animals! It's such a lot of fun - suitable for children of any ability and for adults who want to illustrate and amuse. Brilliant!

Sir Francis Drake
Sir Francis Drake

4.0 out of 5 stars An interesting biography, 8 April 2016
This review is from: Sir Francis Drake (Kindle Edition)
For anyone who has read John Sugden's works on Nelson you will understand why I consider those books difficult to follow. It doesn't score 5 stars because I'm comparing it with his Nelson biography (which is without doubt a 5 star biography) and I don't feel that he paints Drake in the 3-dimensional way that he did Nelson and bring the character to life in the same way. However, Sugden has succeeded in providing an interesting, well-researched and informative book that is definitely worth reading. Recommended.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 20, 2016 9:44 PM BST

Immoderate Greatness: Why Civilizations Fail
Immoderate Greatness: Why Civilizations Fail

1.0 out of 5 stars I suggest you don't waste your time...., 8 April 2016
I read this book after finishing John Sugden's excellent books on Nelson and his useful work on Francis Drake. I cannot describe what a disappointment this book has been. I've given it one star because the subject is interesting. However, despite the fact that William Ophuls is very keen on the sound of his own opinions, he fails to support his opinions sufficiently with evidence. His explanations are naive and ill-considered and do not stand scrutiny and overall, the book stands neither as a work of fact or fiction. I cannot recommend it on any level.

OXO Good Grips Compact Dustpan & Brush Set
OXO Good Grips Compact Dustpan & Brush Set

5.0 out of 5 stars Dinky but effective, 31 Jan. 2016
Dinky little brush and pan. The soft edge makes the pan effective and the bristles are soft yet firm. I keep this one in the car to clear up crisps....

Leifheit Wall and Cobweb Broom with Hand Grip
Leifheit Wall and Cobweb Broom with Hand Grip

5.0 out of 5 stars Great piece of kit..., 31 Jan. 2016
I bought this along with the extendible pole after having had builders in for months and needing to do some serious clearing up. This brush is excellent. A good shape, with soft and yet firm bristles. Easy to use on it's own or with the pole. It's good quality and easy to wash, if like me you spend most of your life in squalor... Recommend.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6