Profile for M. Beaton > Reviews

Content by M. Beaton

M. Beaton "Maureen" (Argyll, Scotland)

Page: 1 | 2
Edge Of Darkness - The Complete Series [1985] [DVD]
Edge Of Darkness - The Complete Series [1985] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Bob Peck

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful., 10 Aug 2014
Bought this as a gift, as I have my own copy. I watched the series when it was on TV in the 80's, and I think it still ranks as the best British drama on TV.

Dyson DC25 Motor Head / Cleaner Head Complete
Dyson DC25 Motor Head / Cleaner Head Complete
Offered by SparesPlanet

4.0 out of 5 stars Works well, 10 Aug 2014
This was so much cheaper than the Dyson price that I wondered if it was a fake - but it looks genuine (apparently the embossed warning on the cover can be a giveaway, and it matched the original exactly). It works well, a bit stiff and creaky to start with, but fine now. So glad I found out how to fix the cleaner myself, rather than taking it to a repair place. Delivery was prompt.

Voices in the Street
Voices in the Street
by Maureen Reynolds

5.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't put it down!, 24 Oct 2013
This review is from: Voices in the Street (Hardcover)
I am ten years younger than the author, but I spent the first few years of my life in Dundee, and this memoir of a woman who was raised there during the Second World War brought back tantalising fragments of memories. The writing is vivid and the book is an authentic record of life in the slums in the years surrounding the War: the warmth and eccentricities of people who had to rely on each other in times of crisis, the deprivations of poverty and rationing, and the consequent appreciation of very small and simple "treats".

It engaged me completely, and I finished reading it at 5 o'clock this morning!

Bonus is that this (ex-library) book is large print, so I am hoping that my elderly mum will be able to read it.

Classikool 14 Inch Cake Box & Square Cake Board / Drum [FREE UK Post]
Classikool 14 Inch Cake Box & Square Cake Board / Drum [FREE UK Post]
Offered by The Baker Shop.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not a good match, 24 Oct 2013
Cake board is excellent, very robust, and kept a heavy cake in one piece in the post - I would rate it 5-star. Cake box, however, was far too light and I had to use another, heavier one, well-padded, to pack the cake, and would only merit 1 or 2 stars. The two items, although sold together, were not suitable to be used together, hence the (generous) 3-star rating.

40 x 9" White Bagasse Disposable Plate - fully biodegradeable and compostable.
40 x 9" White Bagasse Disposable Plate - fully biodegradeable and compostable.
Offered by SHOP 4 LESS

5.0 out of 5 stars Good buy, 26 Feb 2013
I have started to batch cook and freeze individual (small) meals for my elderly mum, and these plates are perfect. They can be frozen and microwaved, and then just disposed of - so no washing up to do. They have the advantage over paper plates of remaining rigid, they don't get soggy, and they are biodegradeable too.

This request for a review has reminded me that I need to order a new supply!

8" Digital Calendar Day Clock - by Dayclox.com
8" Digital Calendar Day Clock - by Dayclox.com

5.0 out of 5 stars Expensive but a good buy, 1 July 2012
The recipient of this gift is very pleased with it. I was impressed at the combination of functionality and design - it is a lovely object, with a clear and accurate display. The price was a bit off-putting, but no regrets.

Flip Alarm Clock & Calendar
Flip Alarm Clock & Calendar

5.0 out of 5 stars Very pleased, 1 July 2012
This review is from: Flip Alarm Clock & Calendar
This was bought for a friend, who is delighted with it. Does all it says, and a good price too. And free delivery!

123 Sea!
123 Sea!
by Julie Fletcher
Edition: Board book

5.0 out of 5 stars Another lovely book from Julie Fletcher!, 13 Sep 2011
This review is from: 123 Sea! (Board book)
A great book with bright, attractive, attention-grabbing pictures and catchy, bouncy, simple text for babies and toddlers to enjoy - again! Again!!

Cars and Trucks and Things that Go
Cars and Trucks and Things that Go
by Richard Scarry

5.0 out of 5 stars Peace for Mum!, 3 July 2011
I bought several Richard Scarry books when I saw they had been re-published. I first came across them when my children were in playgroup in the late 70's/early 80's.

My daughter's children, aged 5 and 3, were able to spend a long time exploring the interesting and detailed illustrations in this book without any fighting - not a common occurrence!

The Rumour (Comedy Verse)
The Rumour (Comedy Verse)

5.0 out of 5 stars Real talent!, 2 Feb 2011
This track is a great example of Andy Stewart's talent for accents - he has captured the variations in Scottish accents perfectly! Just as good as I remembered it...

Page: 1 | 2