Profile for M. Beaton > Reviews

Content by M. Beaton

M. Beaton "Maureen" (Argyll, Scotland)

Page: 1 | 2
Voices in the Street
Voices in the Street
by Maureen Reynolds

5.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't put it down!, 24 Oct 2013
This review is from: Voices in the Street (Hardcover)
I am ten years younger than the author, but I spent the first few years of my life in Dundee, and this memoir of a woman who was raised there during the Second World War brought back tantalising fragments of memories. The writing is vivid and the book is an authentic record of life in the slums in the years surrounding the War: the warmth and eccentricities of people who had to rely on each other in times of crisis, the deprivations of poverty and rationing, and the consequent appreciation of very small and simple "treats".

It engaged me completely, and I finished reading it at 5 o'clock this morning!

Bonus is that this (ex-library) book is large print, so I am hoping that my elderly mum will be able to read it.

Classikool 14 Inch Cake Box & Square Cake Board / Drum - VERY BEST 12mm thick you can get
Offered by Classikool® Baking, Beauty & Beyond

3.0 out of 5 stars Not a good match, 24 Oct 2013
Cake board is excellent, very robust, and kept a heavy cake in one piece in the post - I would rate it 5-star. Cake box, however, was far too light and I had to use another, heavier one, well-padded, to pack the cake, and would only merit 1 or 2 stars. The two items, although sold together, were not suitable to be used together, hence the (generous) 3-star rating.

40 x 9" White Bagasse Disposable Plate - fully biodegradeable and compostable.
40 x 9" White Bagasse Disposable Plate - fully biodegradeable and compostable.
Offered by Monarch Glen

5.0 out of 5 stars Good buy, 26 Feb 2013
I have started to batch cook and freeze individual (small) meals for my elderly mum, and these plates are perfect. They can be frozen and microwaved, and then just disposed of - so no washing up to do. They have the advantage over paper plates of remaining rigid, they don't get soggy, and they are biodegradeable too.

This request for a review has reminded me that I need to order a new supply!

8" Digital Calendar Day Clock - by Dayclox.com
8" Digital Calendar Day Clock - by Dayclox.com
Offered by Vanilla Sugar

5.0 out of 5 stars Expensive but a good buy, 1 July 2012
The recipient of this gift is very pleased with it. I was impressed at the combination of functionality and design - it is a lovely object, with a clear and accurate display. The price was a bit off-putting, but no regrets.

Flip Alarm Clock & Calendar
Flip Alarm Clock & Calendar

5.0 out of 5 stars Very pleased, 1 July 2012
This review is from: Flip Alarm Clock & Calendar
This was bought for a friend, who is delighted with it. Does all it says, and a good price too. And free delivery!

123 Sea!
123 Sea!
by Julie Fletcher
Edition: Board book

5.0 out of 5 stars Another lovely book from Julie Fletcher!, 13 Sep 2011
This review is from: 123 Sea! (Board book)
A great book with bright, attractive, attention-grabbing pictures and catchy, bouncy, simple text for babies and toddlers to enjoy - again! Again!!

Cars and Trucks and Things that Go
Cars and Trucks and Things that Go
by Richard Scarry

5.0 out of 5 stars Peace for Mum!, 3 July 2011
I bought several Richard Scarry books when I saw they had been re-published. I first came across them when my children were in playgroup in the late 70's/early 80's.

My daughter's children, aged 5 and 3, were able to spend a long time exploring the interesting and detailed illustrations in this book without any fighting - not a common occurrence!

The Rumour (Comedy Verse)
The Rumour (Comedy Verse)

5.0 out of 5 stars Real talent!, 2 Feb 2011
This track is a great example of Andy Stewart's talent for accents - he has captured the variations in Scottish accents perfectly! Just as good as I remembered it...

BuyBits genuine ARKON BEAN BAG DASHBOARD WEIGHTED NON SKID FRICTION MOUNT CM012 for TOMTOM GO, TOMTOM ONE, Garmin Nuvi, Streetpilot etc GPS SatNav systems
Offered by Navitech (VAT Registered)

5.0 out of 5 stars Does the job, 2 Feb 2011
This was bought as a gift - slightly different in design to the one I have, but recipient very pleased with it.

Crocs Unisex Cayman Clog Forest 10001-301-007 7 UK
Crocs Unisex Cayman Clog Forest 10001-301-007 7 UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Crocs are not extinct!, 20 May 2010
I was worried when I read in the press a few months ago that Crocs were going out of production, so I was delighted to see them available through Amazon. They are exact replacements for the ones that I have worn out through constant wear. The colours were more subtle than they appeared on the website, even better.

Page: 1 | 2