Profile for JLINDSAY > Reviews

The Casual Vacancy
by J.K. Rowling
Price: 7.03

5.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't put it down, 5 Jun 2014
This review is from: The Casual Vacancy (Paperback)
I didn't expect to enjoy this book as I couldn't see what would be interesting about the in-fighting for the seat on a parish council, but I found it gripping and couldn't put it down.
There are a cast of - mainly unlikeable - characters and it takes a couple of chapters to remember who is who. She describes their lives very well and it is their interactions and reactions to events that make the story.
I think it is one of the best books I have read in a while and I would really recommend it.

The Girl Who Came Home: A Novel of the Titanic (P.S.)
The Girl Who Came Home: A Novel of the Titanic (P.S.)
by Hazel Gaynor
Price: 7.11

3.0 out of 5 stars good in parts, 16 May 2014
I found some parts of this book very good and enjoyable, mainly all the well-researched details concerning the ship, the crossing and the night it sank. Even though the story is so familiar, the author described it well enough to have my heart beating.

However I found a lot of the rest of it to be very syrupy in a made-for-tv-movie style, particularly the scenes set in 1982. Like a previous reviewer mentioned, I thought there was a lot of repetition in the story.

This is perhaps nit-picking: I found the dialogue a bit "Oirish" and there were some jarring Americanisms (Maggie writes in her diary entry in 1912, while still in the hospital, that she finds 25 dollars "in bills" pinned to her dress; Harry, the English steward "wondering what the words he was about to say would mean for their plans for a life in America; what they would mean for their lives, 'period' " and at some point characters in Ireland talking about eating "corned beef and cabbage" (which is the American equivalent of the Irish dish of bacon and cabbage). As the author is from the UK and now living in Ireland, I would be curious to know if she used these terms or whether they were changed for an American audience by the American publishers.

Lifesaving for Beginners
Lifesaving for Beginners
by Ciara Geraghty
Price: 10.78

5.0 out of 5 stars very enjoyable read, 23 July 2013
A gripping story, it does make you laugh out loud and then brings a tear, enjoyable characters, 9-yr old Milo an absolute gem. This is my first Ciara Geraghty book but it won't be my last. I really enjoyed it and would recommend it.

The Chocolate Run
The Chocolate Run
by Dorothy Koomson
Price: 6.29

2.0 out of 5 stars disappointing, 4 Sep 2011
This review is from: The Chocolate Run (Paperback)
Very disappointing. Not anywhere near as good as her other books. If this is your first DK book and you're not impressed, please give one of the others a try. Nothing happens for ages, too much angst and too many references to Greg's Minstrel eyes.

Picture Perfect
Picture Perfect
by Jodi Picoult
Price: 5.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Deserves a zero, 4 Jun 2011
This review is from: Picture Perfect (Paperback)
Pity I couldn't give it a zero.
Melodramatic, unbelievable and impossible to have any sympathy for any character.
A load of nonsense and a waste of time.

School's Out
School's Out
by Christophe Dufosse
Price: 7.34

1.0 out of 5 stars don't read it, 27 Mar 2007
This review is from: School's Out (Paperback)
This was one of the worst books I've read in recent times. It's getting one star because it's not possible to give less. Perhaps if it hadn't been promoted as a thriller it might have been better. It's really about the very uninteresting life of the narrator. It keeps going off on non-productive tangents. Deeply irritating.