Profile for CC2000 > Reviews

Content by CC2000

CC2000 "CC2000" (london, UK)

Amused To Death
Amused To Death

5.0 out of 5 stars Hidden EXTRA track. Surround Sound problem SOLVED for PS3, 7 Aug. 2015
This review is from: Amused To Death (Audio CD)
It is a brilliant album made even better with the 5.1 mix on the Bluray. There is even a hidden extra on the bluray that's hiding in plain view. There's a sublime 9 minute mesmeric ambient mix track that plays when the menu screen is on that knocks the Pink Floyd Endless River into a cocked hat.

Initially I had a problem playing the 5.1. I had nothing coming from the sub and 5.1 mix didn't even register, everything came from my front speakers no matter what settings I chose, or so I thought. I use a PS3 for Bluray and optical cable to my Sony SACD home theatre. I finally found the solution. Settings for PS3- Go to:
Settings:
Video Settings:
BD-Audio Output Format (Optical Digital):
Bitstream (Mix).

Also make sure your player and amp are both up to date with the latest firmware.

I was so disappointed after waiting 1.5 years for this, Now I'm delighted!
If you too are having this problem (and it seems some people are) I hope whatever BD player you're using you can extrapolate some info from my solution and configure your player to access the surroundsound of this album, It's brilliant. Let me know if it helps.

This 5.1 mix is astounding and opens up the music like Qsound promised but never really did.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 16, 2015 5:17 PM BST

HoMedics SBM-600H-GB Shiatsu Ultimate Back and Shoulder Massager
HoMedics SBM-600H-GB Shiatsu Ultimate Back and Shoulder Massager

5.0 out of 5 stars Invaluable Relief. I Love It., 27 Nov. 2013
I suffered for a long time with a knotted muscle under one of my shoulder blades and tight knots in my lower back. Previously one of my friends could shift these knots with a deep, hard, painful (but pleasurably so) massage using his whole weight focussed through his elbow. But I was looking for a more reliable solution. I found this and am so glad that I did.

After very few intense sessions over about 1 week my knots went. I'm 6 foot tall and weigh just over 14 stone. I really leant onto it to get the full massage that I needed. I reckon the build quality is fantastic. It's still going strong THREE years later, I use it once or twice a week now just because it feels so good and keeps the knots at bay.

Some people have written low star ratings saying that it's "lumpy and uncomfortable", my response to that is that it's as lumpy and uncomfortable as you wish it to be. The harder you push your back into it the lumpier it'll feel. If you don't want a hard massage, don't lean onto it so much. I leave it on a high back living room chair and use this chair solely for the massage. I can't get my friends out of the chair when they visit. Honestly it's one of the best products I've ever bought.

London 2012 Olympic Games  [Blu-ray]
London 2012 Olympic Games [Blu-ray]
Dvd ~ Kenneth Branagh

1.0 out of 5 stars Why not in 3D?, 29 Dec. 2012
How ridiculous of the BBC to televise and record the very brilliant opening and closing ceremonies, ruin them during the original broadcast with crass commentaries, and then to NOT produce a BD in 3D. Unbelievable.

Le Creuset Classic Cast Iron Oval Casserole, 29 cm - Midnight Blue
Le Creuset Classic Cast Iron Oval Casserole, 29 cm - Midnight Blue

5.0 out of 5 stars Lasts a Lifetime., 16 Sept. 2012
My father gave me one this size in orange on the day I left home and moved into a shared flat. At the time I didn't fully appreciate why he'd given me a Le Creuset as opposed to a cheaper one. Well 26 years later and I can honestly say that every time I use it I am more than grateful for his present. Unbelievably, it's still in fantastic condition and after many years of delicious casseroles burnt round the edges it's so easy to clean and still comes up looking like new. Sadly my father has long since passed and I reckon this could well see me out too. It's a shame Le Creuset don't make cars.

Basic Instinct 2 (Uncut Version) [DVD]
Basic Instinct 2 (Uncut Version) [DVD]
Dvd ~ Sharon Stone
Offered by DVD Overstocks

1.0 out of 5 stars very poor, 4 Jun. 2009
One of those movies where you spend the whole time thinking , "does any of this really matter?" Because whatever plot you're being led into, you just know there will be twist after twist after twist right up until the final totally implausable Twistiest of twists. I did like the fact that it was set in London though.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 4, 2010 11:05 PM GMT

Vertical Limit [DVD] [2001]
Vertical Limit [DVD] [2001]
Dvd ~ Scott Glenn
Offered by A ENTERTAINMENT

2.0 out of 5 stars He's lovely!, 27 Aug. 2008
This review is from: Vertical Limit [DVD] [2001] (DVD)
I'm not sure they got this film right. The heart throb guy is very pretty. The wealthy guy is evil. The sister is stupid and should have been left to die anyway. The scary man would like to find his wifey-popsicle. The Mountain was big but the air was a bit blowey, the snow was warm and inside the mountain it was very very cosy (they even had drugs 'n all!) The one thing I am sure that they got right was the American psyche that the way forward in saving stupid people's lives is to go in with high explosives and blow everything up. Who said life doesn't imitate art.
I have got to say though that I really enjoyed this film. I watched it for free on tv but to make sure as little revenue gets back to the producers etc, I am going to boycot all the products that were advertised during its screening. BTW. The two stars are for the pretty guy playing being pretty very well.

Chasing Pavements
Chasing Pavements
Offered by shakedownrecords

5.0 out of 5 stars beautiful song , great voice!, 10 Dec. 2007
This review is from: Chasing Pavements (Audio CD)
I've just heard Adele on the Jonathan Ross show. This is a beautiful song, very original and Adele's got such an emotive voice. I can't wait for the album.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 28, 2007 9:34 AM GMT

Legion of Boom [DVD AUDIO]
Legion of Boom [DVD AUDIO]

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Great surround album!!!, 9 Oct. 2007
I've not heard of the Crystal Method before, but being a fan of surround mixes and finding far too few being released I stumbled upon this one. The music is quite brilliant, It's dark, driving, threatening, urgent and quite sublime. Very reminiscent of the music played in clubs such as Melt, Warriors, and FF and albums such as the Flying Rhino Record compilations, Travelling compilations, Sacha and Digweed compilations and DJ Jon The Dentist. This is not dinner party music, this is very definitely post club mood music, it'll take you on a journey though it might not be a pleasant one it'll certainly be scary and thoroughly exhilarating .

The surround sonics of this album are beautifully mixed with all the various speakers delivering just the correct amount of detail to ensure that throughout the whole album, you're immersed in an ocean of sounds whilst being attacked by sharks from every direction. This is no feeding frenzy however, it's all so brilliantly choreographed and there's nothing gratuitous here.

If you do buy this disc and love it the same as I do I'd recommend you also checking out Bts' DVD "This Binary Universe", Thomillas' SACD "Freeze" and the DVD-a of Tippers' "Surrounded".

Violator [CD + DVD]
Violator [CD + DVD]

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Music and 5.1 mix, 11 April 2006
This review is from: Violator [CD + DVD] (Audio CD)
Absolutely Superb production on the 5.1** mix. This album comes as 2 discs. One is a hybrid sacd, which means it can be played in stereo* on normal cd players or in higher quality with a brilliant 5.1** surround mix on an sacd player. But don't worry if you haven't got an sacd player, as the dvd disc also has the surround mix. As for the music, it's great, very moody and beautifully composed. I'm loving the "Playing the Angel" sacd/cd/dvd too, very much in the same vein as Violator.
*Stereo (very last centuary way of producing and listening to music, flat)
**5.1 (the way forward, and if produced properly, creates the impression that you're placed in the middle of the band. The difference between stereo and 5.1 is akin to the difference between mono and stereo multiplied by a thousand.)

Collected [CD + Dual Disc]
Collected [CD + Dual Disc]

2.0 out of 5 stars MISSED OPPORTUNITY, 11 April 2006
I love the music and the vids, and they have packed a hell of a lot into this package at a great price. So why the 2 stars????
This cd comes with a dual-disc and I am really dissappointed that in 2006 with this new and exciting format, thay they haven't gone the whole way and had the music remixed in 5.1 surround. Even more surprising considering 4 YEARS AGO Tricky brought out his dvd "a ruff guide" mixed in surround, and it sounds fantastic. Practically every film that comes out on dvd has 5.1 surround sound, why? Because the film industry understands how exciting the sounds are when spread arround the room. I don't understand why the music industry is so slow on taking up the chance to make great music, like Massive Attack or Basement Jaxx(for that matter), sound fantastic.
Now on to a technical problem with the dual-disc, its weight!
An ordinary cd weighs about 15-16g
All my other dual-discs weigh about 19.4 g
This dual_disc weighs 20.4g
The result is that because of its extra gram of weight my sony dvd/cd/sacd player more often than not is not able to read the disc as it slips on the spinner and doesn't go fast enough to be read. I've resorted to using a bit of blu tack to give the disc a little more traction. I'm not really keen on having to do this.
If not for those two gripes, I'd have given these discs a full on 5 stars