Profile for L. van Zyl > Reviews

Content by L. van Zyl

L. van Zyl (East Sussex, UK)

FLASH FROM THE BOWERY
FLASH FROM THE BOWERY
by Cliff White

5.0 out of 5 stars What a book!, 24 Aug. 2013
This review is from: FLASH FROM THE BOWERY (Hardcover)
I bought this book after seeing it in a tattoo shop's waiting room. My tattoo artist recommended it, saying it was a well used by her and I wasn't disappointed. It is packed with almost every conceivable classic traditional American tattoo design you can think of.

A great resource for people looking for ideas for some new ink, or an interesting coffee table book with a great story behind it. Either way, if traditional American tattoo designs are your thing then this is definitely the book for you.

I've already used 2 of the smaller designs as fillers on my half sleeve and I'm eyeing up a couple of others...

Hemline Point Turner/Button and Sewing Gauge
Hemline Point Turner/Button and Sewing Gauge
Offered by Daisy Craft Fabrics

4.0 out of 5 stars Does what it says, 24 Aug. 2013
A little flimsy. When I was turning a bag strap outside in it did bend a bit although it did the job. Apart from that, extremely useful.

Organic Seruman Therapeutics Ear Candles (5 pairs)
Organic Seruman Therapeutics Ear Candles (5 pairs)
Offered by Seruman Therapeutics

5.0 out of 5 stars Fab buy, 24 Aug. 2013
Do yourself a favour and buy these ear candles - cheaper than many others featured on Amazon and just as effective. Very nicely made - can't fault them! Have already bought more as I thought they were so fab!

Fladen Outdoor Cantilever Box - Pink,medium
Fladen Outdoor Cantilever Box - Pink,medium

5.0 out of 5 stars Useful for a beginners sewing box, 24 Aug. 2013
Reasonable size for the money. Well made, sturdy and no rough edges.

I have managed to fit in dressmaking shears, 26 reels of cotton, 2 tape measures, dressmaking pins, thimble, needles, seam ripper, bondaweb, needle-threaders x 3, pincushion, tailor's chalks, safety pins, sewing gauge, bias binding rolls x 4, snap fasteners x 6, name tapes and a small box of spare buttons and I've still got a bit of room to spare.

I'm a newcomer to sewing so I may find over time that I outgrow this box. I which case my daughter would be happy to take it on as a make up/jewellery/bits 'n' bobs box. However, for the money I think it's a really good buy and will last.

SanDisk 8GB Cruzer USB 2.0 Flash Drive - Black
SanDisk 8GB Cruzer USB 2.0 Flash Drive - Black
Offered by Gadget Heaven

4.0 out of 5 stars Good value, 18 Feb. 2011
Bought this so I could enjoy my own music in the car. Works well as a cheap alternative to an IPOD / MP3 player as it won't matter if it gets stolen. Loaded music files prettty quickly, I don't find the flashy light irritating as some people have mentioned. In my opinion it's good value for money for what I want to use it for and I would recommend it.

Pregnancy: The Mumsnet Guide: The Answers to Everything
Pregnancy: The Mumsnet Guide: The Answers to Everything
by Mumsnet

5.0 out of 5 stars Unpatronising & Insightful With A Huge Dollop of Humour, 5 Oct. 2009
I'm currently brewing baby number 3 and think that I'm reasonably savvy when it comes to being pregnant and what it entails. However, all 3 pregnancies have been very different for me, and I'm always open to new ideas and a different point of view.

This book for me has it all - I found it to be an unpatronising and insightful read. I think the stories and experiences from other Mums are a nice touch and some had me laughing out loud. Always nice to know that it's not just you dribbling/worrying/forgetting your own name.

Full of practical info and good to know advice, as well as being an entertaining read, I reckon you could do a lot worse than fork out a few quid for this book.