Profile for Saied > Reviews

Content by Saied

Saied "the glasgow book club" (glasgow)

Secret Service: Licence to Thrill Your Customers
Secret Service: Licence to Thrill Your Customers
by Colin Turner

4.0 out of 5 stars interesting, 13 Nov. 2010
I enjoyed this book but must admit at time it irritated me. If you are in service industry and have a passion to improve your own or your teams behaviour then this is a fantastic book to read. What it does really well is use a simple model to point out the pitfalls which lead to mediocre customer service. The style of the book is a little too simplistic and sometimes a little slow and I can imagine some readers getting irritated by what may come across patronising. I must admit I found it at times annoying but still thought it had some powerful messages. I do think it has influenced some of what I do at work which is not something you could say about every book.

Letting Property (Residential): A Home Owners Guide
Letting Property (Residential): A Home Owners Guide
by Alan Davis

3.0 out of 5 stars reasonable but not fantastic, 13 Nov. 2010
This is more like a booklet than a book. I was initially disappointed as I was hoping for something a little more comprehensive. If you are looking for something very comprehensive and detailed covering everything you need to know about renting property this is not what you should get. However I must say that it is a concise text on basics of renting small property and though not necessarily up to date it covers the basics reasonablly well.

The First Person and Other Stories
The First Person and Other Stories
by Ali Smith

3.0 out of 5 stars did not enjoy it as much as I thought I would, 4 Nov. 2009
Read this as part of a book club. It did get quite mixed reviews from different readers. There were parts of each story that interested me and were indeed thought provoking. I was left with the impression that the book was written by a very talented writer with the ability to change style from story to story. However I felt the main problem was the plots being complicated with not enough thought given to character development in each story. It was hard to remain focused on each story and I lost interest in the characters throughout the book.

I have not read any of the other books written by this writer. I would be keen to read some of her other work as I get the impression she is a talented and a very good writer but would say this book did not quite work.

Creating a Web Page in Dreamweaver: Visual QuickProject Guide
Creating a Web Page in Dreamweaver: Visual QuickProject Guide
by Nolan Hester

3.0 out of 5 stars not the best, 22 April 2009
On first look this book seems well written and easy to read. However I found it rather superficial and not too helpful if you are a novice website designer. It covered many concepts on design and gave a lot of useful info like how to make a site look easy to the viewing eye etc but I was not able to use it to solve my elementary problems with launching my designed site etc.

I would recommend this book as an additional read if you already have mastered the basic website design and launch.

Enjoy

Competitive Strategy: Techniques for Analyzing Industries and Competitors
Competitive Strategy: Techniques for Analyzing Industries and Competitors
by Michael E. Porter

4.0 out of 5 stars comprehensive and good useful, 22 April 2009
For someone who is a novice in the field of management I found this book very useful. It gave me a useful framework to look at future of my own organisation and I hope this to be a useful process. The book is rather dry and not always an easy read and I was never able to read a large section of it in one go but can be used as a reference book with concepts fairly well chaptered.
I would recommend this book to those who struggle with managing conflicting targets withing their business or organisation.

The Mermaids Singing
The Mermaids Singing
by Val McDermid

3.0 out of 5 stars average at best, 15 Mar. 2008
This review is from: The Mermaids Singing (Paperback)
I read this book as part of a book group.

No one was particularly impressed I am afraid.

It is a well written and an easy to read book. A page turner even. But having finished the book you are definitely left with a feeling of " I have just read an average book".
The police characters are definitely better developed than the criminal. All the characters lack a sense of third dimention and are rather unbeleivable. Clearly however I am in the minority and the books sales speaks for itself.
Great read for a holiday and moderately entertaining but I am heading for a more substantial book next myself.

Saied