Profile for Steve > Reviews

Content by Steve

Steve

Planetary Economics: Energy, climate change and the three domains of sustainable development
by Michael Grubb

5.0 out of 5 stars Big, expansive; but worth it!, 31 May 2015
Big beast but worth the effort. A closely detailed and well structured approach to a hugely complex issue.

Lentil Underground: Renegade Farmers and the Future of Food in America
Lentil Underground: Renegade Farmers and the Future of Food in America
by Liz Carlisle

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent read as well as fascinating research, 31 May 2015
This really is excellent reading. I bought this book at A geog conference (AAG) expwcting it to be quite niche but it really should be read by anyone who is interested in the food system and how to foster change. It's not just well researched its really well written and I found myself looking forward to picking it up every evening. The main story is alive with colourful characters and often feels like a good novel. I'm going to encourage my colleagues to read it. It's worth your money and your time.

Feral: Searching for Enchantment on the Frontiers of Rewilding
Feral: Searching for Enchantment on the Frontiers of Rewilding
by George Monbiot

5.0 out of 5 stars The best ecology and conservation book in a generation. Read it., 22 Nov. 2013
I had high hopes for this book and it went beyond what I expected, far beyond. Every now and then a book comes along which can shake you awake and fundamentally change the way you see things. David Harvey did it for me with 'The Enigma of Capital' Jostein Gardener with 'Sophies World' and now George with 'Feral'. I have several degrees around these subjects and George really challenged the way I understood the countryside of the UK with this book. His descriptions of the 'tame' life that we have built out of our need for security really spoke to me. The descriptions of the 'shaved' hills of Wales being characterised as beautiful and diverse when they are, in biodiveristy terms, little better than desert, resounded with me as I am a yorkshireman, who always wondered why we couldnt have a few more trees in the dales. The book is very well referenced but doesn't read like an essay or polemic. It reads like a story, it feels like a narrative. Let me tell you, if I had read it when I took my first degree I would have been able to articulate a great deal of what struck me as the lunacy of the way we manage our land in this country. If you have never even thought about your relation with nature before you should read this book, it's accessible and in parts beautiful. If like me you have been thinking about and researching environmental policy and land management for over a decade you will still learn something, challenge yourself, and come out the other end better for it.

Makita 8391DWPETK 18 V Cordless Combi Drill with Accessory Set, 101 pc.
Makita 8391DWPETK 18 V Cordless Combi Drill with Accessory Set, 101 pc.
Offered by buyaparcel

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant drill, 20 Jun. 2013
Great drill, great case, great attachments. Delivery was fast and the product feels really solid. The batteries last for ages and charge fast.

No Title Available

1.0 out of 5 stars Boycott, 2 Mar. 2013
I will buy nothing from Amazon until this is removed. Amazon heading for PR disaster. Act quickly and ban the seller.This is disgusting and perhaps illegal.