Profile for Trapper60 > Reviews

Content by Trapper60

Trapper60 "trapper60" (Pullman, Washington United States)

The Frankie Howerd Collection [DVD]
The Frankie Howerd Collection [DVD]
Dvd ~ Frankie Howerd
Price: 13.18

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic Brit Humor At It's Best!, 20 Oct 2009
There's something about the British sensibility regarding humor that really appeals to so many of us Yanks. Maybe it's the extremely tongue-in-cheek wickedness that seems to be lacking in most, if not all, our own comedic efforts on television. Not to say there hasn't been some successful efforts, but we here in The States rarely can compare to the sly wink-wink, nod-nod type of naughtiness that the Brits seems to get away with so wonderfully.

Likely, for us Americans, much of it has to do with that wicked naughtiness so often said in those classic United Kingdom accents, the James Mason type of upper crust, the classic Cockney or The Beatles Liverpool. Or perhaps all those Scots and Irish dialects we're all so familiar with. From greats like Alec Guinness, Peter Sellers, Sean Connery, Peter O'Toole or Tom Jones to the Python and Are You Being Served? gangs to the definitive Jeremy Brett Sherlock Holmes or Miss Marple ladies to The Last Of The Summer Wine, Mr. Bean/Thin Blue Line/Black Adder, Heartbeat or Little Britain, we Americans (and undoubtedly others across the globe) have been enthralled with the voices of the U.K. for decades, even centuries.

The list of great United Kingdom authors, musical performers, actors and comedians and their written, audio and visual efforts is endless and so much appreciated by so many outside the bounderies of the U.K.

Frankie Howerd's work is right up there with my vision of classic British humor at it's peak best. This collection is one I highly encourage my fellow Americans (and all others) for excellent classic British Isles humor. I've seen Mr. Howerd a few times in small roles in major films before, but never had the pleasure of watching Up Pompeii before. I was absolutely delighted and will be looking forward to buying the films from that line as well. I was also taken with Then Churchill Said To Me. The Brits seems to make war time of those WW1 & WW2 times so funny, pithy and surreally heartwarming. America, too, has a number of items that match the British comedic take on war time such as the M*A*S*H efforts (film and TV show) and Clint Eastwood's Kelly's Heroes, McHale's Navy or Jack Lemmon's The Wackiest Ship In The Navy, all great. But there truly is something about the classic Birtish stiff upper lip thing combined with rapier wit regarding war that really appeals. To me Frankie Howerd did the job in TCSTM perfectly.

I have yet to get to the last disc as after finishing up with TCSTM the other day I received in a 11 disc DVD collection of my own country's Our Gang/Little Rascals shorts and have been catching up on these which I've not seen since my childhood in the early '60s. If you U.K. folks have never seen those I would urge you to pony up and buy a collection. Great stuff!

In the meantime, I will be ordering up the further Up series adventures done in major cinematic form, as well as collecting his other filmed works including his first, The Runaway Bus.

Frankie Howerd was one of Britain's comedic greats!
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 12, 2011 1:56 PM GMT

Doctor In The House - Series 1 - Complete [DVD]
Doctor In The House - Series 1 - Complete [DVD]
Dvd ~ Barry Evans

3.0 out of 5 stars I AM SO DISAPPOINTED! I LOVE THIS SHOW, BUT...., 15 Feb 2009
I recently purchased 3 DVD sets of the "Doctor In The House", both the first and second series and the "Doctor At Large" set, and just received them yesterday, 2/13/09.

However, I live in the USA and I forgot to take into consideration region settings and the DVDs are in Region 2 PAL and, of course my players (all of them) are region 1/NTSC.

I have looked for the DITH TV series for years and years and when I discovered the week before that Amazon.UK had them listed I was thoroughly excited as I haven't seen this show since I was a kid back in the early 1970s.

A few years back I had contacted Granada/ITV1, the producers/owners of the show and its rights, a couple years back and they e-mailed me back saying there were no plans to issue this out onto DVD at that time or in the foreseeable future.

You see, it was merely a whim that I checked on the Amazon.UK site last week and voila! found them on DVD!!! I promptly ordered them up and Amazon.UK processed and shipped the order post-haste and in short order I was the proud possessor of The Doctor DVDs!

So, now I had the DVDs in my hot Yankee hands and imagine my incredible disappointment to realize, after I loaded up the first DVD of the first set and was so close to enjoying this great show I haven't seen since those days in the early 1970s, that it wouldn't play.

I took a look through my DVD player manual in hopes I could change the settings but found that wasn't possible. I tried them on a couple other players and even on my computer. Nothing.

You folks in England and Europe are fortunate you can watch these DVDs. Why are there no Region 1/NTSC versions out for we Statesiders to enjoy?!? I don't get it!

Monty Python is out on all region/color system settings. You can find hundreds of other older great, classic and newer British programs out in versions that allow you folks there to enjoy as well as we here in the States.

Why not this show?

Can someone help me here? Outside of having to look for a player that WILL play Reg.2/PAL for just these set of DVDs, is there no one who has copies of this classic comedy for those of us across the pond in our settings?

Why is this show being denied to those of us here in the States?

I had to give the DVDs a 3 star rating. I would have given it a "0" or a "1" but, really, I love this program and for the quality of the show itself it deserves a 5 star rating, but because it's only available in Reg.2/PAL and so is denied those of us here in the USA I am forced to give it no more than 3 stars.

C'mon, Granada/ITV1! Treat your cousins across the pond with some DITH love!

Is there a Doctor In The House for this Region 1/NTSC patient?
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 18, 2011 11:40 AM BST