Profile for Lenni E > Reviews

Content by Lenni E

Lenni E "willing to learn" (UK)

Sense & Sensibility
Sense & Sensibility

1.0 out of 5 stars Missed opportunity, 12 Jan 2014
This is hugely disappointing, and almost an insult to Austen. Trollope appears to have taken the basic plot of Auten's novel, thrown in some reference to social media, reality TV, and drug misuse, and considered that that to be her work done on "modernising" of Austen. Anything of the wit or commentary on society and social mores that make Jane Austen's novel a classic is completely missing. Trollope's characters are universally shallow and unlikeable, in particular Marianne. Don't bother with this chick-lit version - read Austen's.

Sense and Sensibility (Full Text with Biography, Chapter Summary, Examination of Themes, and Character Summary)

5.0 out of 5 stars It's Austen!, 12 Jan 2014
What can I say? It's Jane Austen! Her first published novel, not as polished as her later works, but nevertheless still a beautifully written, witty study of the social mores of Austen's day.

KnitPro 10 cm x 3 mm Symfonie Double Pointed Needles, Multi-Color
KnitPro 10 cm x 3 mm Symfonie Double Pointed Needles, Multi-Color

5.0 out of 5 stars Cute and useful, 12 Jan 2014
I actually completely misjudged the length of these, and was initially disappointed when I first opened these, but I gave them a go knitting a pair of gloves in the round and they are actually extremely comfortable to use. Obviously being only 10cm long, they won't be useful should I want to knit a jumper in the round, but for gloves and socks I find them more convenient than longer dpns would have been

Pony Pom Pom Maker Set, with Split Rings
Pony Pom Pom Maker Set, with Split Rings
Offered by The Quilted Bear Ltd

1.0 out of 5 stars Awful, 12 Jan 2014
My own fault, I should have noticed earlier that this is classified as a toy; that is the best it can be described as. It's certainly not a useful bit of kit - two pieces of cardboard would do the job just as well as this. Only ordered it because the one I really wanted was out of stock. Should have been more patient, as I had to get the one I wanted from e-bay in the end because this product was so useless

Raleigh Rr Light 5Led Night Flare Wide
Raleigh Rr Light 5Led Night Flare Wide
Offered by WoollyHatShop

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 12 Jan 2014
I was very disappointed with this item, expected better. Received on a Tuesday, fitted it to the bike, cycled to work on Wednesday, when I put it back on the bike for the cycle home, I noticed one of the bulbs wasn't working.

A Death in the Family: My Struggle Book 1 (Knausgaard)
A Death in the Family: My Struggle Book 1 (Knausgaard)

2.0 out of 5 stars Intriguing but not likeable, 3 Jun 2013
I can not decide whether or not I like this book. I found it self-indulgent, and I at times felt that the author was incredibly arrogant. The book appears to have been written as self-therapy, to cleanse the author of his feelings about his father. We never really find out why the author hated his father so much, nor do we discover much about what seems to have been a very good relationship with his mother. The style of the book is sometimes very difficult to read: there are whole pages without a single paragraph break, and there is little flow of narrative. You could start reading this book at any point and not lose the flow.
This book definitely is not as good as the praise at the front of the book suggests. But at the same time, I did want to read it. Although not likeable, the author's character is intriguing; his observations of human nature are fascinating, his descriptions of the things he sees brings them alive. And yet he appears to have no ability to interpret his own behaviour. It has bee suggested that the author may be somewhere on the autism spectrum; he is highly intelligent, but seems unable to truly relate to others.
I can't say I enjoyed the book. I can't say I would recommend it to others to read. But I am glad I took the time to read it.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 31, 2014 11:29 AM BST

Is it Just Me or is Everything Shit?: The Encyclopedia of Modern Life
Is it Just Me or is Everything Shit?: The Encyclopedia of Modern Life
by Steve Lowe

1.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as I expected, 29 Dec 2007
Mildly humourous is places, quite interesting in others, but generally far to left-wing for my liking. If it had kept some of it's Socialist views to itself it could have been a good book. As it is, it was mostly a waste of money that went striaght to the dump before I'd finished it. If there was an option to give nil stars, that's what I'd give it