Profile for Amazon Customer > Reviews

Ink Mage
Ink Mage
Price: 3.49

3.0 out of 5 stars Ink Mage, 16 July 2014
This review is from: Ink Mage (Kindle Edition)
A good easy read at a cracking pace. Like others though, I did find the ending a bit rushed. Without spoiling it for others, at least it wasn't a completely happy ending & it did leave a few questions that could be picked up in a sequel if the author thought it worth his while. Personally I wouldn't bother with a follow-up, but not bad for the price.

Half a King (Shattered Sea, Book 1)
Half a King (Shattered Sea, Book 1)
Price: 4.35

5.0 out of 5 stars Half a book!, 10 July 2014
Well it worked on me!

Read this free sample so quickly, that I was annoyed when I'd finished it & found out that the rest of the book isn't even out yet!

Good marketing ploy by the publishers, someone obviously understands how this new e-market works. It even seems as though Joe Abercrombie wrote the opening chapters with this hook in mind.

Whole book on order, so just waiting for the full release, hope it's worth it.

Read the full book now & that in a day.
I must say I really enjoyed it, especially the ending. Plenty of action, drama, plot twists and likeable characters, but not as blood thirsty or with as much colourful language that Abercrombie is known for. However, neither of these things lessen the power of this well written book that has left me wanting more.

The Magic of Recluce (Saga of Recluce)
The Magic of Recluce (Saga of Recluce)
Price: 3.25

4.0 out of 5 stars Magic Indeed., 17 Jun 2014
Like many other reviewers, I did find the written sounds annoying but not so bad that they detracted from the excellent story. It was a simple matter to ignore most with just a small conscious effort on my part, to stop the inquisitive side of my nature, that tried (& failed) to make the strange letter combinations into sounds I could imagine.

I think you either love or hate Modesitt's narrative style, like Janny Wurts, he excels at using ordinary & mundane details to both build up characters & plot. But whereas Wurts' emphasizes the processes involved in why & how a character makes a decision or performs a particular action; Modesitt concentrates more on the actions themselves, even if the details come across initially as boring. Both authors are masters at weaving their own literary tapestries, where every thread counts if you are looking for the complete picture.

The Eight Walls of Rogar: An Epic Fantasy Adventure Series! (The Lost Kingdoms of Laotswend Trilogy Book 1)
Price: 1.81

3.0 out of 5 stars An Epic Fantasy?, 12 Jun 2014
To be honest I only read about 30% of this book before I became too bored! I eventually came back to it & speed read a few chunks so that I finished it within an hour or so.

I don't want to give it a proper review as that would just take too long, but one thing I will say is that I always felt that there was something missing. Everything was alright, but nothing was of any real note.

I'm sure that others will enjoy it, but it fell short of its promises for me.

The Deliverer (The Marenon Chronicles Book 1)
The Deliverer (The Marenon Chronicles Book 1)

2.0 out of 5 stars Pedestrian, 9 Jun 2014
One good thing, it was quick & easy to read & for some unknown reason I did read it all. The story has great potential& it has a few moments when it lives up to expectations but these are rare. But the writing style is poor, hindering the characterization; he has a habit of telling the reader what a character is feeling & then repeats the information by having the characters confess those same feelings to another character!

Yet I read it all so it must have something. If it was free I'd say read it, but I think I've wasted 77p!

The Crystal Chalice (The Legend of Erren-dar Book 1)
The Crystal Chalice (The Legend of Erren-dar Book 1)
Price: 1.53

3.0 out of 5 stars The Crystal Chalice, 5 Jun 2014
I would have given it four stars but the ending was just a little bit too perfect for my taste.

I enjoyed the whole story immensely even though the characters are atypical, the story predictable, the narrative style hindered by 'telling' rather than 'showing' and the text in need of a good edit. So the author must have done something right, though I'm still not sure what.

Half a King: free sampler (Shattered Sea, Book 1)
Half a King: free sampler (Shattered Sea, Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars Half a book!, 31 May 2014
Well it worked on me!

Whole book on order, so just waiting for the full release, hope it's worth it.

Lady of the Helm (The Bloodline Trilogy Book 1)
Lady of the Helm (The Bloodline Trilogy Book 1)
Price: 0.77

3.0 out of 5 stars Has potential, 31 May 2014
I like the plot twists & the fact that the author is not afraid to kill off characters that as a reader, we engage with quickly. But it does get very bleak very quickly & there never seems to be the prospect of a happy ending. Perhaps that's why I lost interest & haven't finished this book yet.

Escape To Challenge (The Moondark Saga Book 1)
Escape To Challenge (The Moondark Saga Book 1)

2.0 out of 5 stars Boring, 31 May 2014
Started well but gets bogged down when a second plot strand is introduced too late in the narrative for me to really engage with a whole new set of characters. This, rather than making it more exciting, actually slows the action down & I just lost interest.

Don't know if I'll ever finish it.

The Written (Emaneska Series Book 1)
The Written (Emaneska Series Book 1)

3.0 out of 5 stars The Written, 31 May 2014
This is well written, (no pun intended!) & the sort of book I normally love; but (& you knew that was coming) I just couldn't get on with it & have only read just over 20% of it.

Why? I wish I knew. It just didn't engage me enough. I think it may be because I couldn't sympathize with the main character. It's all well and good for a man to be driven to drinks & drugs to help him forget unpleasant memories but Faran (I think that's his name) seems to have everything a man in his position would want. Perhaps the necessary explanations for such behaviour came too late for me, but I suspect the writer is aiming for 'mysterious troubled hero's & missing the mark.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11