Profile for Avid Reader > Reviews

Content by Avid Reader

Avid Reader

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-14
The Dark Citadel (book #1)
The Dark Citadel (book #1)

3.0 out of 5 stars Something missing., 29 April 2014
There is something in the narrative style that jars, which is a pity as it distracts from what is an engaging story.

Antiagon Fire: The Seventh Book of the Imager Portfolio
Antiagon Fire: The Seventh Book of the Imager Portfolio

4.0 out of 5 stars Still Reading!, 29 April 2014
If you want to know why I'm still reading this series, please see my review for Imager's Battalion.

I'm still in a quandary!

Imager's Battalion: The Sixth Book of the Imager Portfolio
Imager's Battalion: The Sixth Book of the Imager Portfolio

4.0 out of 5 stars The Imager Portfolio, 27 April 2014
This is really a review of the whole series, as I've read them all up to this one & intend to read the rest too.

I keep asking myself, why? Why do I enjoy these books so much? Why am I driven to read them so obsessively at the negation of other excellent books waiting for my attention? Why are Rhenn & Quaeryt so engaging?

I could say it's because of the excellent writing, but I've read other books just as good if not better. I could say that it's the captivating plots, but sometimes Modesitt' s tendency to use excessive detail can swamp any attempt to use action as a plot mover, (check out Princeps if you don't believe me). I could say it's the action, character building, an eerie ability to capture real conversations or even to be able to give just the right amount of insight into a character's thought processes. Yet I still feel that I would have failed to identify what actually keeps me reading.

Throughout the series I have been troubled by the casual treatment of death, especially the way both central characters in the series seem able to justify being judge, jury & executioner in countless situations without consulting others or feeling lasting remorse. Quaeryt does seem to struggle with this more than Rhenn, but even he is able to ignore his dubious concerns enough to carry on with the practice.

And yet I'm still tempted to buy the next instalment & start reading it as soon as possible!

WHY?

If you think you know why, then please, please, please tell me! I think I'm doomed to read the whole series anyway but it may help others decide if they want to start or not.

Winds of Change (Kingdoms and the Elves of the Reaches Book 1, 10th Anniversary Edition) (Keeper Martin's Tales)

2.0 out of 5 stars Winds of change, 6 April 2014
I'm at a bit of a loss to know if what I just read is as bad as I suspect or if it's just my exacting standards that this book failed to reach.

There is a clunkiness to the characterization, especially evident in the conversations; that I always expected to improve, it never did.

The story was intriguing but never gave any real insight or helpful information to the reader. I felt as if I was cheated, as there was no pulling together of the various threads.

But the real problem is the non existent ending; it's not just a cliff hanger it's just the end of the line with no explanation or reason why.

Thread Slivers (Golden Threads Trilogy Book 1)
Thread Slivers (Golden Threads Trilogy Book 1)

4.0 out of 5 stars Thread Slivers, 4 April 2014
I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book despite the obligatory typing errors that are normal for Kindle books.

The action is fast paced and not always predictable; the characters well written; there are hints throughout of the much bigger picture, and a believable world in which it all takes place.

Well worth reading but not sure if it's enough to persuade me to buy the sequel as I borrowed this one on Amazon Prime.

The Sable City (The Norothian Cycle Book 1)
The Sable City (The Norothian Cycle Book 1)

3.0 out of 5 stars The Sable City, 3 April 2014
Good story, writing and characterization but I haven't finished it yet so it must have something lacking. I suppose it's just not original or interesting enough to hold my attention.

Give it a go and see what you think.

Dragon Killer (Kal Moonheart Book 1)
Dragon Killer (Kal Moonheart Book 1)

1.0 out of 5 stars Dragon Killer ?, 3 April 2014
Dragon Killer, more like story killer !

I can't remember reading this & it's covers changed so that I couldn't find it in my library so I think that speaks for itself!

Obviously I gave up on this book fairly quickly and it failed to leave a lasting impression, so don't bother.

The Tessellation Saga. 'Prophecy's Heir' Book 1
The Tessellation Saga. 'Prophecy's Heir' Book 1

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't Bother!, 26 Mar. 2014
I only got as far as the prologue, if you can call it that. It was one of the worst prologues I have ever read, it did everything a prologue should never do. Not only did it go into great descriptive detail of irrelevant things, but at one stage it shifted without warning from the King's reminiscences to his son's every thought & motive in his journey into evil!

I took a quick peek of the rest of the book, only to find not only the same over indulgence in irrelevant descriptive prose but also an over use of a contrite attempt at a slang for the common people. It never sounded real, it was always the same no matter where people came from, and it just didn't make sense when everyone went to great pains to speak it!

Don't Bother even though it's free!

Malspire: Dark Seas
Malspire: Dark Seas

4.0 out of 5 stars Malspire, 26 Mar. 2014
Malspire, what a great evocative name which completely fits the lead character in this excellent book. He is moody, bad tempered, has a chip bigger than his physical lump on his shoulder, and he is a hopeless coward. As a reader, I didn't feel sorry for him but I soon grew to like him despite or even because of his faults.

I don't usually like books that have a nautical theme but this book not only captivated me in the first few pages but it kept me reading until the very end.

The characters are very well written, the narrative voice is strong and the plot is fast paced and not quite predictable.

The only reason it's not five stars is because of all the apt and unbelievably detailed nautical information it had to contain.

Blood of the King (Khirro's Journey Book 1)
Blood of the King (Khirro's Journey Book 1)

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Read, 18 Mar. 2014
Fast paced plot, well written characters and a good narrative voice.

Not as sickly sweet as some stories, some of the main characters actually suffer but I won't spoil it. The ending is good too, not the run of the mill 'happily ever after'.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-14