Profile for Amazon Customer > Reviews

Content by Amazon Customer

Amazon Customer

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-14
Escape To Challenge (The Moondark Saga Book 1)
Escape To Challenge (The Moondark Saga Book 1)

2.0 out of 5 stars Boring, 31 May 2014
Started well but gets bogged down when a second plot strand is introduced too late in the narrative for me to really engage with a whole new set of characters. This, rather than making it more exciting, actually slows the action down & I just lost interest.

Don't know if I'll ever finish it.

The Written (Emaneska Series Book 1)
The Written (Emaneska Series Book 1)

3.0 out of 5 stars The Written, 31 May 2014
This is well written, (no pun intended!) & the sort of book I normally love; but (& you knew that was coming) I just couldn't get on with it & have only read just over 20% of it.

Why? I wish I knew. It just didn't engage me enough. I think it may be because I couldn't sympathize with the main character. It's all well and good for a man to be driven to drinks & drugs to help him forget unpleasant memories but Faran (I think that's his name) seems to have everything a man in his position would want. Perhaps the necessary explanations for such behaviour came too late for me, but I suspect the writer is aiming for 'mysterious troubled hero's & missing the mark.

King of Kings
King of Kings

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 26 May 2014
This review is from: King of Kings (Kindle Edition)
Another mistake on my part as I actually paid for this one, true it was only 77p but I'm afraid even that is too much!

It promised so much & gave too little. The narrative voice is very weak & wooden, & I found it jarring almost immediately but I foolishly expected it to improve; it never did. Though the story held some promise, again it failed to deliver. The characters are one dimensional & frankly unrealistic.

Yet it was the usual Kindle problem of none existent editing that made it unreadable in the end.

Don't Bother.

Game of Souls (The Quintessence Cycle Book 1)
Game of Souls (The Quintessence Cycle Book 1)

4.0 out of 5 stars Game of Souls, 21 May 2014
I enjoyed this book immensely. The characters are engaging, the plot is fast paced, and the narrative is cohesive.

The only real problem is understanding the magical system, which since this is the pivot upon which the plot turns, actually becomes rather a big problem. It's a bit of a catch twenty two situation, to make sense of the plot you need to understand the magical system whilst the slow revelation of the main bad guy's motives hinges on his use and manipulation of the magic system. To ease this situation, there is an extensive explanation of the magic system at the end of the book, but not as easy to access when using a digital copy.

Frostborn: The First Quest
Frostborn: The First Quest

3.0 out of 5 stars Frostborn, 20 May 2014
Short but it serves it's purpose, it explains how Ridmark ends up as an outcast & the ensuing intrigue lures the reader into wanting more.

Because of this, the writing style is a little clipped, other things are hinted at but never expounded. A whole journey of six weeks is reduced to just two sentences. This doesn't do Moeller any favours as it suggests that he is an inept writer, which is certainly not the case.

I'm all for free books on Kindle, but in this instance it spoils the reputation of a good writer.

Pewtory the Lesser Bard: A Frindoth Tale
Pewtory the Lesser Bard: A Frindoth Tale

4.0 out of 5 stars Infuriating Ending!, 18 May 2014
It's not a bad ending just infuriating!

Such an unusual story, you can't help but feel sorry for Pewtory even though he is such a selfish & annoying character. The action is fast paced, a real page turner; the underlying sense of humour doesn't distract from the thought provoking questions about mental health issues & whether or not we believe that the stranger really exists.

Well worth the money.

Traitor's Blade: The Greatcoats Book 1
Traitor's Blade: The Greatcoats Book 1

5.0 out of 5 stars Greatcoats!, 16 May 2014
I think this is the first time I have given a Kindle book five stars, need I say anything else?

Excellent writing, plot, characterization, humour & a wonderful ending even if it was predictable by then.

Well worth the money & I'd recommend it to anyone who loves fantasy.

His Dark Empire (Tears of Blood Book 1)
His Dark Empire (Tears of Blood Book 1)

1.0 out of 5 stars Some Empire!, 16 May 2014
Despite the pitch, & the expectation, I felt that reading this was like wading through a bowl of stodgy porridge!

There is nothing new, it's like he just picked other people's ideas & jumbled them together until he came up with a suitable frame to put them into.

A Thirst for Vengeance (The Ashes Saga Book 1)
A Thirst for Vengeance (The Ashes Saga Book 1)

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing Ending, 15 May 2014
The story was so engaging & well written that I managed to ignore most of the grammatical & spelling mistakes. The narrative style worked well, without the usual problems encountered when one character is telling a story to both other characters as well as the readers. Yet I feel that therein lies the problem, with the dual narrative working so well my expectations were heightened into a thirst for a dual ending with a twist. Instead we are given a damp squib! Yes we see how poorly vengeance works out, but what of the promised death for Earl, Patch & all in the bar?

Instead of a hook into the next book, I'm left with the feeling of 'why bother'. And I won't.

The Dragon Gem (Korin's Journal Book 1)
The Dragon Gem (Korin's Journal Book 1)

4.0 out of 5 stars The Dragon Gem, 6 May 2014
What an exciting, page turning, romp of a story! Just when you think things can't get any worse for our unsung hero & his friends, they always do. Yet the story is told with such an endearing narrative voice, that a wry laugh is never far away.

Well worth a read.