Profile for Amazon Customer > Reviews

Content by Amazon Customer

Amazon Customer

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-12
Winds of Change (Kingdoms and the Elves of the Reaches Book 1, 10th Anniversary Edition) (The Keeper Martin's Tales)

2.0 out of 5 stars Winds of change, 6 April 2014
I'm at a bit of a loss to know if what I just read is as bad as I suspect or if it's just my exacting standards that this book failed to reach.

There is a clunkiness to the characterization, especially evident in the conversations; that I always expected to improve, it never did.

The story was intriguing but never gave any real insight or helpful information to the reader. I felt as if I was cheated, as there was no pulling together of the various threads.

But the real problem is the non existent ending; it's not just a cliff hanger it's just the end of the line with no explanation or reason why.

Thread Slivers (Golden Threads Trilogy Book 1)
Thread Slivers (Golden Threads Trilogy Book 1)

4.0 out of 5 stars Thread Slivers, 4 April 2014
I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book despite the obligatory typing errors that are normal for Kindle books.

The action is fast paced and not always predictable; the characters well written; there are hints throughout of the much bigger picture, and a believable world in which it all takes place.

Well worth reading but not sure if it's enough to persuade me to buy the sequel as I borrowed this one on Amazon Prime.

The Sable City (The Norothian Cycle Book 1)
The Sable City (The Norothian Cycle Book 1)

3.0 out of 5 stars The Sable City, 3 April 2014
Good story, writing and characterization but I haven't finished it yet so it must have something lacking. I suppose it's just not original or interesting enough to hold my attention.

Give it a go and see what you think.

Dragon Killer (Kal Moonheart Series Book 1)
Dragon Killer (Kal Moonheart Series Book 1)

1.0 out of 5 stars Dragon Killer ?, 3 April 2014
Dragon Killer, more like story killer !

I can't remember reading this & it's covers changed so that I couldn't find it in my library so I think that speaks for itself!

Obviously I gave up on this book fairly quickly and it failed to leave a lasting impression, so don't bother.

The Tessellation Saga. 'Prophecy's Heir' Book 1
The Tessellation Saga. 'Prophecy's Heir' Book 1

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't Bother!, 26 Mar 2014
I only got as far as the prologue, if you can call it that. It was one of the worst prologues I have ever read, it did everything a prologue should never do. Not only did it go into great descriptive detail of irrelevant things, but at one stage it shifted without warning from the King's reminiscences to his son's every thought & motive in his journey into evil!

I took a quick peek of the rest of the book, only to find not only the same over indulgence in irrelevant descriptive prose but also an over use of a contrite attempt at a slang for the common people. It never sounded real, it was always the same no matter where people came from, and it just didn't make sense when everyone went to great pains to speak it!

Don't Bother even though it's free!

Malspire: Dark Seas
Malspire: Dark Seas

4.0 out of 5 stars Malspire, 26 Mar 2014
Malspire, what a great evocative name which completely fits the lead character in this excellent book. He is moody, bad tempered, has a chip bigger than his physical lump on his shoulder, and he is a hopeless coward. As a reader, I didn't feel sorry for him but I soon grew to like him despite or even because of his faults.

I don't usually like books that have a nautical theme but this book not only captivated me in the first few pages but it kept me reading until the very end.

The characters are very well written, the narrative voice is strong and the plot is fast paced and not quite predictable.

The only reason it's not five stars is because of all the apt and unbelievably detailed nautical information it had to contain.

Blood of the King (Khirro's Journey Book 1)
Blood of the King (Khirro's Journey Book 1)

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Read, 18 Mar 2014
Fast paced plot, well written characters and a good narrative voice.

Not as sickly sweet as some stories, some of the main characters actually suffer but I won't spoil it. The ending is good too, not the run of the mill 'happily ever after'.

Age To Age
Age To Age
Offered by Fulfillment Express

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 16 Mar 2014
This review is from: Age To Age (Audio CD)
Excellent, it brought back so many memories & the songs still spoke to me.

I much prefer the honest nievity of this younger Amy than the modern remodled perfectionist without the genuine heart.

War of the Black Tower: Book One of a Dark Epic Fantasy Trilogy (A Tale of Sword & Sorcery and Epic Fantasy Adventure)

3.0 out of 5 stars Something's Lacking, 16 Mar 2014
I actually managed to read the whole thing so it must have something going for it. I nearly gave up during the first three chapters as the writing style leaves a lot to be desired.

The characters are wooden; the lead character is hard to sympathize with, it's as if the author condones his promiscuous lifestyle on the pretext that he's just misunderstood.

The story is unbelievable; and the overall tone is depressing and yet I carried on reading? It is for inciting this sheer doggedness alone, that I awarded three stars, as with this book that is quite a feat.

Shard Knight (Echoes Across Time Book 1)
Shard Knight (Echoes Across Time Book 1)

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!, 14 Mar 2014
I really enjoyed reading this book. The characters are engaging, the plot is fast paced, and the reader is left wanting more.

There were a few verb confusions, and the odd misplaced letter or word but it was nowhere near as bad as a lot of books I've read on the Kindle.

I didn't give it five stars for only one reason, the ending! I won't spoil it for others, but the epilogue just cuts off in the middle of a conversation. It would have been better not to have the epilogue at all as it adds nothing to the story but gives a very weak hint about the sequel.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-12