Profile for Linda > Reviews

Content by Linda

Linda

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
Gardening: Perennial Vegetables - Plant Once and Harvest Year After Year (3rd Edition) (botanical, home garden, horticulture, garden, landscape, plants, gardening)

1.0 out of 5 stars Scant on topic, full of waffle., 4 Mar. 2016
I was so disappointed with this book. It merely scratches the surface of the subject, actually listing very few perennial vegetables, then stuffing the book with all sorts of common gardening knowledge that you can get from any gardening book, presumably to get the page count up and thereby fool the potential reader. I got cross in the end and didn't actually finish it. It seems to be written without any real passion for the subject, and has the feel of a "get rich quick" book. I have to say that in all the downloads of this sort of book I have only found two which rate any more than one star.

If you want to know about the subject I would join some of the Facebook groups and get your knowledge from people who actually practice this sort of gardening.

Mushrooms: An Introduction To Home Mushroom Cultivation (2nd Edition) (mushrooms, edible, fungi, cultivating, wild plants, compost, forest farming)

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor writing, waffle, scant information, 29 Jan. 2016
I don't like giving negative reviews, but this book is not good, I'm sorry to say, so poor I feel I should say something.

The first thing I want to know in a book of this ilk is who the author is and why he is an authority on the subject. In other words, why should I trust Halladay's knowledge and buy his book? There was nothing about the author in the book, though I'm afraid this is a recurrent theme in these how-to books. If he knew his subject, he could have taken his own photographs of his own growing mushrooms, not used Creative Commons photos. This is not hands-on knowledge.

The first part is poorly written and repetitive where the author says the same thing in several different ways, skimming the import of his words rather than going into any depth. This blether continued for 65% of the book, stopping by nutrition briefly to impart some incorrect information.

"At last," I thought when I reached the "Step by Step" guide to growing mushrooms, because this was what I really wanted to know about. I expected a range of protocols for growing the more common mushrooms, with pros and cons for each. Alas, this too, was a scant overview of a few pages' duration, before Halladay launches into yet more waffle about the business side of things. This wasn't helpful, either.

I will not be downloading any more books by Halladay.

If people want to know how to grow mushrooms, I would suggest they look at the spawn suppliers' websites, where often detailed instructions are given.

101 Uses for Stinging Nettles
101 Uses for Stinging Nettles
by Piers Warren

3.0 out of 5 stars Just a list, inaccurate botany, 29 Jan. 2016
I'm sorry to say I'm disappointed with this book, which I'd seen recommended. I wish I'd read the reviews before adding it to my Christmas list. When I buy (or ask for) a book I expect some expertise in the subject, some personal remarks and hands-on experience. What sounded alarm bells in my head was the "botany" section at the front. The author is confused about his nettles! What he has described, and even pictured, is white deadnettle. Fortunately this is edible too, so people won't be poisoning themselves. The image of the seed head too looks as if it's dead nettle, not stinging nettle. Stinging nettle seeds are very different.

This basic error casts doubt on the rest of the book, which is, in essence, is a list with scant information on each item. It is NOT a hands-on personal experience book. As an ideas book for further research it's passable, but nobody will be able to consult this book to make cloth, or harvest seed effectively. They would have to do more research for recipes or protocols. But then perhaps this is all the book purports to be.

I haven't made nettle soup as Warren's recipe because all the other recipes I've seen cook the base first and add nettles at the end to retain the green colour. I wonder if Warren has actually made soup his way, or whether this is another bit of second-hand knowledge.

I don't think it's good value for money.

Victorian Farm
Victorian Farm
by Alex Langlands

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable book let down by spelling mistakes., 17 Dec. 2015
This review is from: Victorian Farm (Hardcover)
I picked this up second hand. I didn't see the TV series, but thought the book would be interesting, as indeed it is. I would like to have seen a little more depth in places, though the history is recounted with a light touch and strong voices. It won't bog people down in too much history, and I think this makes it a good coffee table read.

The reason I knocked off a star is the lack of editing. There were quite a number of homonym spelling errors, which made the whole volume seem amateurish, the occasional clunky sentence and some poor grammar. Was the editor asleep?

The Garden Forager: Edible Delights in your Own Back Yard
The Garden Forager: Edible Delights in your Own Back Yard

5.0 out of 5 stars Utterly charming, 5 April 2015
I have the hardback version of this book rather than the Kindle version. It's a compact volume, but full of useful information, delightfully illustrated. Each plant or plant group has the Latin name for proper identification as well as the common or garden names, some well written paragraphs covering the plant itself, and some recipes to inspire us.

I wasn't sure that I needed yet another book on unusual edibles, but I'm very glad I got this because it contains information that's new to me, and confirmed information that I have read elsewhere. Long term, this book will help to define what I plant in my next garden. (My current garden is small and stuffed.)

It's just lovely.

Around the World in 80 Plants
Around the World in 80 Plants
by Stephen Barstow

5.0 out of 5 stars Interesting and entertaining., 21 Feb. 2015
Well written and entertaining, I read this book from cover to cover, then read it all over again (I was on holiday). I'm not sure how practical it will be for me, but it certainly opened my eyes. I'm also not sure I could be so sanguine about Japanese Knotweed.

Call Nurse Jenny
Call Nurse Jenny

4.0 out of 5 stars Pleasing, absorbing wartime saga, 31 Jan. 2015
This review is from: Call Nurse Jenny (Kindle Edition)
I have a review copy of this book.
This isn't my usual reading fare, but I have read enough of this ilk to know this is a good example of the genre. The wartime atmosphere has a very authentic, "lived through" feel to it. I didn't find myself particularly in love with the characters, but nevertheless, it was an absorbing read and I enjoyed it, well worth a try if this is your sort of saga.

This is a wartime saga, not a doctors and nurses romance novel, although the main character becomes a nurse in the story.

Forgotten Dreams (Transita)
Forgotten Dreams (Transita)
by Doris Leadbetter

2.0 out of 5 stars Not for me, 15 Jan. 2015
I'm sorry to say I struggled with this novel. The idea was an interesting one but the writing was passive to the point of tedium. I didn't fall in love with any of the characters and so didn't really care what happened. I finished it, but the ending was predictable even if the route had a few surprises.

The Devil's Feather
The Devil's Feather
by Minette Walters

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 11 May 2014
This review is from: The Devil's Feather (Paperback)
I'm slightly embarrassed to say I bought this in a charity shop, hence no verified purchase.

I enjoy Minette Walters’ novels because they are well plotted, both from a narrative and a psychological viewpoint, her characters make sense, even though I sometimes find the actual writing somewhat cold and have trouble identifying with the protagonists, which means I feel slightly detached from the action. Her stories are logical, plausible and above all, intelligent. The Devil’s Feather is no exception, and I think it is the best I have read so far. (I have not yet read all of hers, so can’t really judge.) The characters seemed very real, the writing as always was excellent, and there was no irritating overt political intrusion, something which has annoyed me in some of her novels. It was quite slow paced for a thriller, or perhaps it's better described as having a long fuse, but this did not detract from my enjoyment one jot.

I know from reviews of my own work how sensitive some readers can be to crude language, so I will warn potential readers that there are several used of the F word and the C word, but every single use is not gratuitous and essential to the plot. Personally I have no problem with it, indeed, think it utterly appropriate in a novel of this ilk, but if you as a potential reader are easily offended by such words, this may taint your enjoyment.

Anyone who enjoys a well-written and realistic psychological crime novel will enjoy this one.

Grow your own food
Grow your own food

3.0 out of 5 stars A Curate's Egg, 2 May 2014
This promises much but mostly fails to deliver more than waffle. Parts of it are good, but the overall quality is brought down by parts which are lackluster or downright confusing.

For example, regarding rootstocks, the chapter on fruit trees says, "With apples, the stock ranges from M.27 for a small tree up to a couple of metres high, to the vigorous MM.111 that grows to 5m plus." - A novice might, from reading this, expect that the higher the number, the larger the tree, something which is just not true. It wouldn't be so bad if the author went on to describe each of the common rootstocks; M9; M27; M25; M26; MM106 and MM111 and inform the reader which is best for certain conditions. This is what I mean by waffle and no substance. Although it does mention self-incompatibility, it doesn't go into enough detail.

The part about soil answers a "question" about mushroom compost but fails to mention that it is alkaline and so unsuitable for lime-haters or where the soil is already alkaline.

In the Organic Gardening chapter it says, "And by the way, John Innes is a type of compost based on loam rather than a brand, and was developed by Mr Innes in the late nineteenth century. So now you know." Quite apart from being stylistically irritating, the second half of this statement is incorrect. John Innes was a merchant and philanthropist who bequeathed money to set up The John Innes Institute. It was this institute which developed the range of John Innes compost recipes for different purposes. If an author is going to discuss John Innes composts, s/he should at least discuss the various types and what they are used for. The use of peat is also treated in rather a cavalier fashion. If someone is relying on a crop each year they simply haven't time to experiment from year to year to find which brand suits their needs, because some low-peat composts are so poor as to result in utter crop failure. In my experience John Innes composts are at least reliable, though some brands are better than others. There was no real discussion about the use of peat substitutes, no mention of sequestration of nutrients by these substitutes, just a mention of blood boiling about the continued use of peat. This was of no help to the would-be organic gardening novice wanting to reduce their reliance on peat.

It would be nice to have enough land to leave part of my rotation fallow.

There are a number of quotes from famous people, such as Bob Flowerdew and Monty Don. I do hope permission was sought before using any copyright material, and appropriate fees paid. So many people nowadays seem to think that anything published can be repeated without permission. I would be outraged if I discovered my words had been quoted without my permission, especially in a book of this quality.

The style of some of this book left me wondering if it was written by an American or for the US market with the use of the word "yard" rather than "garden". It grated on me, though I don't understand why because I enjoy reading some US homesteading publications. Perhaps I just felt confused and disorientated.

The Henry Doubleday Research Association is now called "Garden Organic". I would expect an expert gardening author to know that. Later on, in a different chapter, Garden Organic and the Heritage Seed Library are mentioned. The editor has not done his or her job properly, then. These inconsistencies should be ironed out.

I was not impressed by the chapter on preserves. I would not bottle fruit that way, I boil my jam to reach setting point, jellies are not made by sieving the pulp but by straining through a bag. You can sieve fruit to make pip-free jam, indeed I do this.

I quite enjoyed the chapter on smallholding, as far as it went, but it didn't go nearly far enough. There was nothing about the legal pitfalls and legal obligations in keeping stock. It mentioned about having well water regularly checked, but there is no information about how to get this done.

There are very few references in this book. If it's aimed as a self-help book I would expect references such as The National Allotment Society, Garden Organic, DEFRA, and so on.

There are no illustrations.

As an overview, this book is tolerable. It's mostly well written and does give some food for thought. But it is in no way a "how to" type guide. I would not recommend it because there are far better books available.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5