Profile for W. Warby > Reviews

Content by W. Warby

W. Warby "wwarby" (London, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Timex Gents Watch Expedition T49661
Timex Gents Watch Expedition T49661

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty decent, 16 July 2014
On my second one of these, as the strap on the first one eventually broke (when that happens, it isn't repairable - you could replace the strap I suppose but for the cost of the watch, you probably wouldn't bother).

The watch is very small, almost ladies size - I was quite surprised when I first saw it - it look meatier in the picture than it actually is. It's a nice, simple device that takes hardly any time to set up. It has alarms and stopwatches, not that anyone with a smartphone would ever use those features on a watch these days but what I really like about this watch is the Indiglo design. Unlike previous Timex watches I've had that light up the room with full backlighting, this model turns only the digits blue. It's perfectly readable, without distracting those around you when you want to tell the time in a cinema or theatre for example.

The white strip on the strap gets dirty pretty quickly and there isn't a lot you can do about that other than keep scrubbing it clean, but apart from that it's a nice cheap watch that does exactly what you'd expect.

Microsoft 70-480 Exam Quick Study Guide
Microsoft 70-480 Exam Quick Study Guide

4.0 out of 5 stars Consise, relevant content that will help you revise - as long as you're already familiar with the material, 16 July 2014
I passed the exam scoring 861/1000 after reading this book and little else. I did watch about half of the Microsoft Virtual Academy videos for the subject but they covered much the same ground. The book does cover the majority of the subjects I was tested on, and if like me you are already very familiar with the subjects of the exam and looking to just refresh your memory and/or fill any small gaps in your knowledge then this book delivers exactly what you need. it is a quick and concise read (probably 3-4 hours cover to cover), and it definitely helped me improve my score on the exam.

I have marked down slightly because the book is littered with typos and dubiously formatted content. I must have come across at least a dozen spelling and grammatical mistakes in a single reading, and much of the sample code (on my Kindle at least) wraps unhelpfully onto second lines, making it hard to read. I'm no expert in eBook publishing but I've seen other publishers do a much better job of layout with source code samples - the editing of this book is sloppy (there is also at least one factual error and some slightly out-of-date content related to IE10 features that have been updated in IE11) but then again the book is extremely reasonably priced, and these shortcomings made very little difference to the end results, at least for me.

Bad Pharma: How Medicine is Broken, And How We Can Fix It
Bad Pharma: How Medicine is Broken, And How We Can Fix It

2.0 out of 5 stars Not quite the pop science gem I was expecting after Bad Science, 31 Oct 2013
I made it about 20% of the way through this book and I've decided to give up. I thoroughly enjoyed Ben Goldacre's Bad Science book, which made lots of very interesting observations about medical science (and anti-science) practices in a way that was entertaining and highly accessible. Bad Pharma isn't like that. The central thesis in the book - that unpublished trial data leads to patient harm - is interesting, but essentially the book amounts to 400 pages of incredibly detailed evidence for this claim (as Goldacre actually warns in the first two pages). It's an exhausting and boring read, and frankly I can't imagine anyone who isn't in the industry would ever want to understand the problem in this degree of detail when long blog post could have probably suffice to convey the same information to the casual reader. If you're not in the industry, give it a miss.

Speedo Futura BioFuse Goggles - Clear
Speedo Futura BioFuse Goggles - Clear

3.0 out of 5 stars Slightly Leaky, 22 July 2013
Like most goggles I've tried, you have a choice with these: either put them on so tight that it hurts and leaves you with red circles around your eyes, or empty the water out every two lengths. One day I'll find a pair of googles that actually fit me, but these ain't them.

SIMPLEHUMAN 20 BIN LINERS CODE N 45 LITRE - TRIPLE PACK (60 BAGS)
SIMPLEHUMAN 20 BIN LINERS CODE N 45 LITRE - TRIPLE PACK (60 BAGS)
Offered by kitchen essentials

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Quality and Convenience, 22 July 2013
I'm so glad I made the switch to these kinds of bin liners from the generic black rolls I used to use. They fit perfectly into the bin so you don't see the liner at all when the lid is shut and when you go to empty the bin it just lifts out effortlessly with just enough slack to tie the draw strings. It's a very efficient shape, the bag is durable plastic and the strings are a good design. Nothing negative to say really.

LEDER® 12v LED Flexible WARM WHITE SMD Strip Light 5 metres / 300 LED's ** IDEAL FOR GARDENS, HOMES, AQUARIUMS, KITCHENS, ETC **
Offered by Brightlightz

2.0 out of 5 stars The sticky back doesn't stick, 22 July 2013
On the one hand these are nice bright lights and I'm really pleased with the effect they have created in my new kitchen. But less than a month after installation the whole strip fell off from the underside of my kitchen cupboards so now I've stapled it into position with a staple gun. They really shouldn't sell these with a sticky back if the adhesive isn't strong enough to hold for more than a few weeks - at least if they came with no sticky, you'd know where you are and do something about it from day one.

Colourworks Oven Mitt, Black
Colourworks Oven Mitt, Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice glove, 5 July 2013
The rubberised palm of the glove is extremely effective at insulating heat. This glove is well made and looks smart - I'd definitely recommend it.

Salter 9141 WH3R Glass Body Fat Analyser Bathroom Scale
Salter 9141 WH3R Glass Body Fat Analyser Bathroom Scale
Offered by TECNICSPRO24

3.0 out of 5 stars Good value, but a nuisance to use if you just want simple weight, 5 July 2013
They look smart and they're very good value for the money, but these scales have a number of features that you can't turn off like multiple user profiles, and BMI measuring. I live alone and I don't care about any of that BMI nonsense - I just want to stand on the scales and find out how much I weigh without any messing about. As it is you have to stand on and off them at least once to get to the right settings to measure your weight, and if you stand for too long it will start cycling through user profiles. As such they are not as simple as I would like them to be.

50 Piece White Square Dinner Set ***FREE DELIVERY***
50 Piece White Square Dinner Set ***FREE DELIVERY***

5.0 out of 5 stars Really great value, 17 May 2013
This is a really great dinner set for the price. It was delivered in a heavy (15kg) box and is extremely well packed (every item is separated by thick cardboard) so there is little chance of damage. The china is a nice clean and simple design - not flashy but doesn't look really cheap either. I'm really happy with it. Only thing is I wish it were possible to buy some of the items individually. so that I could get more of the things I use frequently.

Apple Magic Mouse
Apple Magic Mouse
Offered by ULike

1.0 out of 5 stars Grotesquelty Uncomfortable To Use, 9 Sep 2011
This review is from: Apple Magic Mouse (Accessory)
I don't understand how anyone can use this device without experiencing pain in their fingers - it is insanely uncomfortable to use; a classic case of form over function. The problem with it is the way you use it. It has no buttons, so unlike a regular mouse you have to lift your finger off the mouse to touch back down on it, thus creating the impression to the mouse of a click. to do this accurately you need to curl your finger such that only the tip touches back down. Because this is such a regular motion, you end up holding your hand curled above the mouse in an awkward position that leads to finger cramps. I used it for about 10 hours before concluding it was decidedly painful to use and returning it - and I do not have RSI or any special requirements - I use normal Microsoft mice usually. I love Apple, but this product is the worst dud they have brought out in years.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4