Profile for Kath > Reviews

Kath (UK)

The Slap
The Slap
by Christos Tsiolkas

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't waste your time bothering to read this book, 10 Jun 2011
This review is from: The Slap (Paperback)
A lot has been said here about how utterly disappointing this book is when considering the acclaim it has received from critics and the awards it has been shortlisted for. I whole heartedly agree with these criticisms. Don't believe the hype; believe the one and two star reviews here and avoid reading this book.

Start with a positive...The structure of the book is interesting, seeing things from different people's points of view, and your opinions of them and the situation change when you see things from different perspectives. However, it is very difficult to actually care about what happens to most of the characters or even sympathise with their thought and feelings.

Given the raves given to the book by the critics I kept waiting for a monumental or even slightly interesting occurrence to justify such praise but it never came. If anything the book ventured further off course and further away from actually having a point. My interest waned more as I read on. It was a struggle to motivate myself to finish the book.

With regard to the foul language... people swear in novels as they do swear in real life. However, the swearing is not only unpleasant and unnecessary it is unrealistic that some of the characters would speak in such a way. It distracts from the story - maybe this is the point so we won't notice how uninspiring and uninvolving the story is!

An `irresistible masterpiece' says Chris Cleave... definitely resist wasting your time on reading this book as it is as far from a masterpiece as you can get.

Instead of lending this to a friend and subjecting them to it, my copy is going straight to a charity shop.

Twilight: Twilight, Book 1: 1/4 (Twilight Saga)
Twilight: Twilight, Book 1: 1/4 (Twilight Saga)
by Stephenie Meyer

5.0 out of 5 stars Swoon!, 19 Oct 2009
I, like a lot of reviewers here, who don't fall into the teenage target audience, did not believe my friends when they said I would really like this book. One friend told me it was the best love story she'd ever read. Pah, i thought! I dismissed it as too childish and thought it wouldn't hold my attention. But...I was wrong!!! I absolutely loved this book! It not only brought out the swooning teenage girl in me but I couldn't put it down. Yes, it's not a challenging read but it had me gripped. Practically the minute i finished Twilight I ordered New Moon and I am counting the minutes until it arrives. I am a converted disbeliever and would recommened that you give it a go.

A Tale of Two Cities (Wordsworth Classics)
A Tale of Two Cities (Wordsworth Classics)
by Charles Dickens

5.0 out of 5 stars Depth required to set up brilliant ending, 11 April 2008
A few reviews here have said the majority of the book is needlessly detailled and long and drawn out. I whole heartedly disagree with them.

Yes, the first two thirds of the book are detailled and cover the events and characters thoroughly but this is essential in setting up the magnificent finale. Without the in-depth back story, the ending would lose all of its power. Granted, while reading this detail you do not realise it is so important (hence maybe the feelings of indifference towards this part of the book) but without it you would not be so invested in the characters. You would not care about what happens to them and would not understand why the events of the past impact so heavily on what is happening to them. I'm not saying I did not require patience to get to the end, i did, but it was thoroughly worth it, and Dickens masterful writing keeps you engaged all the way through, especially in his description of the condition of France during the Revolution, which was a real eye-opener.

This was the first Dickens book I had read and will most definitely be reading every other novel he wrote! Highly recommended.

The Matrix Revolutions [DVD] [2003]
The Matrix Revolutions [DVD] [2003]
Dvd ~ Keanu Reeves|Carrie-Anne Moss|Laurence Fishburne
Offered by best_value_entertainment

4.0 out of 5 stars Inevitably criticsed, 9 Aug 2004
As a HUGE fan of the original film, 'the year of the Matrix' was supposed to be amazing. Despite its flaws i really enjoyed Reloaded and looked forward to seeing Revolutions.
I was not (really) disappointed. Although I would have liked to see more action from within the Matrix (as opposed to in Zion), I was gripped all the way through. There were some really tense moments and, although the ending was maybe questionable, I thought the movie was well worth the money paid to see it on the big screen.
Though some reviewers have written this movie off as being rubbish and not worthy of being associated with the original, with all the hype and expectation it received it was always going to be criticised and viewed as unsatisfactory.
The Wachowski brothers were always going to struggle to make a trilogy out of a concept that was written as one film and which was such an amazingly original, awesome movie, and though the original will always be superior to the sequels, they are worth a watch. I will definately be buying the trilogy boxset.

The Day After Tomorrow - Two Disc Edition [DVD] [2004]
The Day After Tomorrow - Two Disc Edition [DVD] [2004]
Dvd ~ Dennis Quaid
Offered by A ENTERTAINMENT

4.0 out of 5 stars Where will I be? Somewhere warm inside and high up!, 9 Aug 2004
When I went to see 'The Day After Tomorrow' I wasn't really expecting much, as I couldn't see how a weather disaster movie could have much of a storyline. To tell the truth, I only really went to see the lovely, brooding Jake Gyllenhaal!
I was very impressed and I really enjoyed the film. The special effects were amazing and having been to New York in april it was astonishing to see the city under water. There were some really tense, edge-of-your-seat moments and also some suprising sublty funny lines. Jake was, of course, wonderful but I am biased when it comes to tall, dark, hansome guys doing the hero thing!
Although it is the Hollywood take on the global warming issue and its consequences, the movie does make you think. The day after I saw it, there was a thunder storm with hail stones and I was, to say the least, slightly scared that the world was coming to an end!
So, take this movie for what it is. An amazing spectacle that will make you think the next time you drive instead of walk, and which has some eye candy to boot! Oh, and don't expect too much from the plot!

Predator (2 Disc Special Edition ) [1988] [DVD]
Predator (2 Disc Special Edition ) [1988] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Arnold Schwarzenegger
Offered by best_value_entertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars "Get to the chopper!", 29 July 2003
I must have been about 11 when my older brothers got me to watch this awesome movie! They themselves were also under 18. They loved it but i was totally freaked!! The predator itself was really scary! The fact that you can't see it scared the be-jesus out of me! To tell the truth even Arnie scared me!! He was so huge!
Having watched predator more recently (now i am 19) it still remains as thrilling and heart pounding but i enjoyed it on many more levels - probably due to not hiding behind the sofa!
With more brawn then at a mr universe competition, predator is a showcase for muscle and testosterone! With each scene Arnie is wearing less, fully showing the size of his biceps, and it seems the film is actually a competition between Arnie and the other actors, such as Jesse Ventura (another eighties muscle man), as to who has the biggest arms! Fantastic!! Arnie at his best!! So eighties! I love it!! These are the things i didn't appreciate as a petrified 11 year old! The shots from the predators point of view are also great! An alien who uses heat signature to view its prey - genius! No one is safe!! "Get to the chopper"!
Hands down, this movie is a classic!! Action, thrills, gory killings, tense music, guns, muscles, Arnie covered in mud fighting an invisible alien.....what else could you want?!

Pulp Fiction: Music From The Motion Picture
Pulp Fiction: Music From The Motion Picture

5.0 out of 5 stars It's "kool and the gang"!, 28 July 2003
This soundtrack is awesome! In the words of Jules it's "kool and the gang"! Its a real mix including chilled out grooves from Al Green and Dusty Springfield, funky 1970's disco, such as Kool and the Gang's 'Jungle Boogie', light-hearted songs like 'Flowers on the Wall' and old fashioned rock-and-roll from Chuck Berry (good to twist to - I wish I could dance like Travolta!)
Also included are quotes from the movie itself and any fan will love this - especially Jules' Ezekiel 25:17 (Samuel L Jackson is the man!) and Vincent's 'Royale wuth Cheese' (I love the "chit chat"!)
For me one of the highlights, although the whole collection is great, is Urge Overkill's 'Girl, You'll Be A Woman Soon', a cover of the Neil Diamond song, which chillingly reminds of the events at Mia's house. A brilliant song!!
Any fan of Pulp Fiction should no doubt about it own this soundtrack! "Peronality goes a long way" and this soundtrack has masses of it! Enjoy!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 2, 2010 6:52 PM GMT