Profile for PeacheyStar > Reviews

Up In Smoke
Up In Smoke
by A A Abbott

5.0 out of 5 stars A cracking good read :-), 27 Nov 2013
This review is from: Up In Smoke (Paperback)
I'm not normally into crime and thrillers, but this book is character led as well as having the twists and turns you would expect and really is a great 'page turner'. Highly recommended.

New iPod nano  8GB (6th Generation) - Pink
New iPod nano 8GB (6th Generation) - Pink
Offered by AdxExpress_Store

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Gizmo!, 12 Aug 2013
I bought this second hand. I was frustrated at first because my previous model was an older generation and I didn't have a clue how to work it! Once someone showed me I got it in 30 seconds and now love its compact size, and will definitely stay with the later generation models.

TeckNet iPad Folio Genuine Leather Case Cover and Flip Stand For Apple iPad 1st Generation
Offered by TECKNET

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Value and Does the Job, 12 Aug 2013
It is a good value item, but still good looking. It protects my IPad and also acts as a stand. It is also fairly slimline, which I particularly like.

iGadgitz Pink Silicone Skin Case Cover Watch Strap for Apple iPod Nano 6th Generation 8gb, 16gb + Screen Protector

1.0 out of 5 stars Not fit for purpose, 12 Aug 2013
The strap is hard to do up and then the Ipod pops straight out of it. I could forgive the first because of the low cost, but the poor design means that I quickly gave up on it and lobbed it in the bin.

Why Be Happy When You Could Be Normal?
Why Be Happy When You Could Be Normal?

5.0 out of 5 stars A Writer's Autobiography, 12 Aug 2013
I finally got around to reading 'Oranges are not the only Fruit' a short while ago, so was intrigued to know the 'real' story behind the fictionalised version.

This book sheds some light on that periodically, whilst sharing the author's philosophy of life and writing. The style is both accessible and intelligent. A very good read.

Suite Francaise
Suite Francaise

4.0 out of 5 stars Read it for the First Book, 12 Aug 2013
This review is from: Suite Francaise (Kindle Edition)
I was intrigued by the fact that this is a lost masterpiece now come to light. As the writer was of russian origin, it has been compared to War & Peace... I might not go that far, but I can see why and if it had been completed, then very possibly.

It was meant to be a suite of books of which 2 are included. The first book really is wonderful. Gorgeously written, evocative, the characters and their lives draw you in - it is just a beautiful read. The second book was not finished and possibly had not been edited by the authoress. Many of the characters from the 1st book disappeared and a whole new cast is introduced. I understand from the notes at the end of the volume that some may have been reintroduced.

The intrigue and tragedy is that the author was a Jew and died in a death camp. There are some heart breaking quotes from letters from her to her family at the end of the volume as she awaits her fate. There are also some of her thoughts on the structure and how she would develop character and plot.

The second book is patchy, but of course that in itself is because of circumstance and I was delighed to have read it for the first book alone.

Feliway Diffuser (Plug-In)
Feliway Diffuser (Plug-In)
Offered by Mr Pets

3.0 out of 5 stars Does it really work?, 12 Aug 2013
This review is from: Feliway Diffuser (Plug-In) (Misc.)
It is a received wisdom that Feliway is the solver of many feline ills - reducing stress, inducing harmony and so on. I haven't really seen that demonstrated on my 2nd month of use.

Value wise very good - less than half the cost that my vet charges!

Angels In America (HBO) [2003] [DVD] [2004]
Angels In America (HBO) [2003] [DVD] [2004]
Dvd ~ Al Pacino
Offered by MusicnMedia

5.0 out of 5 stars Ground Breaking Drama, 12 Aug 2013
I came to this relatively late after it was released, having watched it when it was aired as a repeat on TV a year or so ago? I was intrigued by its casting (it's the only TV work I've personally seen Meryl Streep and Al Pacino in) and that it creates its' own sense of reality in a number of dimensions. I definitely sympathised with the characters and love the fact that Angels really ARE part of the plot! As a social commentary / piece of history great too to understand more about the AIDS scene in 80s/90s America. It has comedy, pathos, suspense and drama. As you can tell, I'm a fan!

Cat vs. Cat: Keeping Peace When You Have More Than One Cat
Cat vs. Cat: Keeping Peace When You Have More Than One Cat
by Johnson-Bennett Pam

3.0 out of 5 stars Reasonable Read, 12 Aug 2013
I've got a new kitten who is winding up my 2 adult cats to the point of stress. I have been unable to find some specific reading around this surprisingly, so was pleased to see this book recommended on a website.

I bought this as a second hand copy. It is by an American author and the cat keeping ethos is different - i.e. she actually recommends that you keep cats indoors 100% of the time, whereas the majority of British cat owners - like me, let theirs outdoors.

There is also an assumption that if you are bringing a new cat into your home it is a nervous adult - I have a wildly over confident kitten though, so very little of her advise hits the mark. However, there is still some useful tidbits and I always like to expand my cat lore!

BDC0104evaNew first2savvv semi-hard pink camera case for Canon IXUS 240 HS, IXUS 135,IXUS 132 ,IXUS 255 HS,PowerShot A2500 IS & Panasonic Lumix DMC-SZ1,DMC-FX80, DMC-FS45,DMC-FS40,DMC-S5,DMC-XS3 & CASIO EXILIM EX-ZS20,EXILIM EX-ZS6,EXILIM EX-ZS15 & OLYMPUS TG-820,VG-180,VH-410
Offered by UK-FIRST2SAVVV

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Value, 12 Aug 2013
It looks good, protects your camera and the cabana clip is very useful too. It is good value and I only wish the camera it was bought for worked as well!

Page: 1 | 2