Profile for Dan Jordan > Reviews

Dynamode 2-Port High Speed Serial Adapter PCI Card
Dynamode 2-Port High Speed Serial Adapter PCI Card
Price: 8.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect, 7 Nov 2013
No problem with installation and set up. Works perfectly for a DGT chess board that uses a serial cable where a serial to usb converter cable kept producing errors.

Four CHESS Design Clipper Lighters- by MV Shop Ltd.
Four CHESS Design Clipper Lighters- by MV Shop Ltd.
Offered by MV Shop Ltd.
Price: 4.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Well...., 7 Nov 2013
Having a rook or a pawn on some of them isn't the greatest. All in all...just clipper lighters with a transfer of a chess piece on it. The seller never pretended it to be anything else to be fair.

Zebra Z-Grip Max Retractable Roller Ball Gel Pen With Chunky Rubber Grip - Pack of 6 Assorted Colours
Offered by K Direct
Price: 3.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Ink doesn't last very long, 7 Nov 2013
They write beautifully and that is why I bought them. I use them at work but the ink doesn't last very long. Would be ok if the refills weren't so expensive

Chess Knight Cufflinks + Black Pouch
Chess Knight Cufflinks + Black Pouch
Offered by Select Gifts Limited
Price: 8.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent. Love them., 21 Oct 2013
I had a pair of king cufflinks bought as a Christmas present some 2 years ago. One of them broke. They cost more money than these yet are not as good quality. The quality of these knight cufflinks are superb. I've had several comments from women on how nice they are. Not a bad thing :)

Genius and Misery of Chess
Genius and Misery of Chess
by Zhivko Kaikamjozov
Price: 11.57

2.0 out of 5 stars Printing errors and incorrect information, 21 Oct 2013
Interesting read (most of the info has been published in other similar books however) but is let down by a lack of decent proof-reading. This book is a translation as far as I know - yet the proof-reader seems to have erroneously altered things when it was already correct - such as stating that Spielmann played in the 1988 world chess candidates - when, of course it was Speelman - John Speelman - not Rudolf Spielmann mentioned earlier in the book. Some dates are laughably incorrect, there are typos in some of the games given (whole omission of some moves) and some glaringly incorrect facts at times (true facts already being published in many other books detailing the history of chess players - of which I've ready many - and all reaching a consensus) - don't expect me to site any examples - I can't be asked to retrieve the book and search them out) - take my word for it or buy the book and discover them for yourselves. The mistakes comprise of about only 10-15% of the book - but are very annoying. This book feels unfinished to me. I wouldn't recommend it for the price - now I would recommend a superb book on the history of chess (and I'm even going to bother to find it on my bookshelf ----..........).......it is...."Grandmasters of Chess" by Harold C Schonberg - I picked this up in an old bookshop - and is a perfect example of how this type of book should be done (although it won't have modern players such as Carlsen in there as it's a tad old now. There is one major thing in "The Genius and Misery of Chess" that I did appreciate because I've never seen it published in such detail - it is the near heart-rending letter that Alekhine sends to chess officials to plead his case against him being banned from participating in some tournaments after 1945 due to his supposed voluntary collaboration with Nazis during the war years.

Police Siren Alarm Clock
Police Siren Alarm Clock

1.0 out of 5 stars Crap, 4 Aug 2013
This review is from: Police Siren Alarm Clock (Toy)
Bought it for my son-in-law as a Christmas gift. Well it was bought primarily because he was always late getting up for college. I hoped this screeching alarm would help wake him.................IT DIDN'T! It soon found it's rightful place, he fell over it and broke it - it went in the bin.

Improve Your Chess Now (Cadogan Chess Books)
Improve Your Chess Now (Cadogan Chess Books)
by Jon Tisdall
Price: 12.71

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 4 Aug 2013
This book really helped me to get back into the game after a long lay-off. I found it a great help to my game.

Dvoretsky's Endgame Manual
Dvoretsky's Endgame Manual
by Artur Yusupov

5.0 out of 5 stars Probably the best endgame book on the market, 4 Aug 2013
This is the best endgame book that I possess - and I have a few. This one seems to always have the answers I need when I need to look up a difficult ending I've been engaged in. Superb. Regarding the mention of poor printing in another review, this must have been addressed as the edition I own is of the highest quality - in the top percent in terms of quality of chess book.

My System (Chess Classics)
My System (Chess Classics)
by Aron Nimzowitsch
Price: 11.89

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb version of a classic, 4 Aug 2013
This book should be in every chess player's library. This is a superb algebraic version of a classic and has been translated far better than other previous versions (apparently).

Journey to Ixtlan: Lessons of Don Juan (Arkana)
Journey to Ixtlan: Lessons of Don Juan (Arkana)
by Carlos Castaneda

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant read, 4 Aug 2013
A page turner and superb read. Really gets you thinking as do all books by Carlos Castaneda. I highly recommend this book.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3