Profile for Mark Beech > Reviews

Firstly I will give the positives :

1: Excellent photography
2: Good performance from Jude Law

The negatives :

1: Sean Penn (usually an actor I like) performance made no sense and I needed subtitles at times to understand what was being said.

2: The film seemed overlong yet the story seemed to make no sense and was rushed.

3: Why Stark went from naive idealist to morally corrupt politician was not explained and seemed to happen overnight

Unfortunately this is not a film that I would recommend - and a disappoint when you consider the excellent cast.

Tiger Woods PGA Tour 06 (Xbox 360)
Tiger Woods PGA Tour 06 (Xbox 360)
Offered by rockaway-records
Price: 9.99

3.0 out of 5 stars What no Achievement Points, 3 Oct 2007
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
I initially downloaded Tiger Woods 07 on XBOX Live and really enjoyed the demo. Unfortunately I couldn't find this version in Malaysia, however I did manage to locate the 06 version and decided to buy. The big difference, in fact the only difference, that I noticed between the two versions is the graphics. Whilst the graphics on 06 are very good - on 07 they are simply stunning with a huge improvement in face detail.

The game itself - I have really enjoyed playing. I notice that there have been complaints about the Power boost being on the left bumper button - I don't have a general problem with this and have got used to the swing with my left thumb and bashing the bumber with my index finger of my right hand. The only issue I have is due to the button configuration if you use power boost it is virtually impossible to use the right hand joystick to draw or fade the shot. It is like some bizzarre form of finger twister!

For me the two drawbacks have been that I have yet to find anyone playing online (I have had the game a month). I do not know if this is because everyone has upgraded to the newer versions or there is a problem with the EA server. The other drawback is that despite having played this game for going on 30 hours I have not achieved any Achievement Points - I have completed most of the challenges - I have completed a round 4 under par. I have 8 holes in One, over 100 birdies - this is frustrating as it appears the level set to get Achievements has been set ridicuously high.

Despite all the above comments - I do enjoy the game - and I suppose if you are looking for a golf experience i.e difficult, frustrating and requiring lots and lots of practice - this is the game for you.

News from No Man's Land: Reporting the World
News from No Man's Land: Reporting the World
by John Simpson
Price: 7.33

2.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Reporter - Not sure the same can be said as a writer, 1 Oct 2007
I have just read, or rather struggled through this book. Whilst John is obviously an extremely intelligent and brave man, with experiences to write about that most of us can only imagine - I really had difficulty getting into this book.

I suppose the thing that I struggled with most is the pious, sanctimonious style of his writing. I felt at times that I was being talked down to by a slightly full of themselves teacher!

It is worth reading for the stories (sorry I know that John hates them to be called stories), that he tells. Afghanistan which is the centrepiece of this book seems a fascinating, albeit slightly scary place!

Seven Ancient Wonders (Jack West Junior 1)
Seven Ancient Wonders (Jack West Junior 1)
by Matthew Reilly

4.0 out of 5 stars It's a story !!!!, 26 Dec 2006
I've read some of the poor reviews of this book. It's not Shakespeare and doesn't claim to be. I thought it was a great read and if your definition of a good book is that it is hard to put down, then this is the book for you!

I liked the references to the Da Vinci Code and I thought that it was fast paced and a fun review

Winning!: The Story of England's Rise to Rugby World Cup Glory
Winning!: The Story of England's Rise to Rugby World Cup Glory
by Clive Woodward

5.0 out of 5 stars Sports Book & Management Book - Bargain!, 4 Sep 2006
I was lucky enough to review a signed copy of this book from Clive himself as he did a speech at our annual corporate event.

I thoroughly enjoyed the book from the perspective of both a sports and management book.

I find it interesting the most recent reviews giving the book a low score purely on the performance of the Lions tour. I think anyone reading the book would have picked up is that to be successful in either business or sports management takes time. Something that on a Lions tour you do not have.

A thoroughly enjoyable read and a book that I keep in my office and review on a regular basis.

Buy It!

Dead or Alive 4 (Xbox 360)
Dead or Alive 4 (Xbox 360)
Offered by STOCKTASTIC
Price: 19.09

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Game, 1 Sep 2006
Having read the last two highly critical reviews I am prompted to write one myself! The game is hard and I would agree one of the last bosses is super hard and significantly tougher than any other character in the game. However I am nearly 40 years old and haven't had a console for over 15 years and yet I have managed to complete each character in Story Mode. Whilst it is challenging it is not impossible as previous reviewers would indicate. The graphics are gorgeous and it is make me hanker for an HD TV. My 4 year old daughter loves this game - my 63 year old Mother in Law loves this game - Buy It - It's Fantastic

Icon Steve Jobs: The Greatest Second Act in the History of Business
Icon Steve Jobs: The Greatest Second Act in the History of Business
by Jeffrey S. Young

3.0 out of 5 stars Very Readable, 29 Aug 2006
I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book and once into it found it very hard to put down. Whilst an entertaining read I like other reviewers wonder whether we have been given a caricature of Steve Jobs as opposed to the real man. There are lots of relationships that I wished I knew more about such as his interaction with Woz.

Certainly worth looking at.

Billy
Billy
by Pamela Stephenson
Price: 6.20

3.0 out of 5 stars Great Story - Badly Written, 10 May 2003
This review is from: Billy (Paperback)
Like many people I was looking forward to reading about the great man. I left feeling somewhat disapointed. Name dropping, too many metaphores !
I feel that there truly is a great biography waiting to be written - maybe the man himself should do so !

Page: 1 | 2