Profile for J. M. Banham > Reviews

Content by J. M. Banham

J. M. Banham (Surrey, United Kingdom)

Page: 1 | 2
Knipex 8701250 Cobra Water Pump Pliers 46 mm Capacity
Knipex 8701250 Cobra Water Pump Pliers 46 mm Capacity
Price: 21.47

5.0 out of 5 stars Strong, sturdy and highly adjustable, 7 Aug 2014
I bought these to replace a cheap pair of water pump pliers I had from many years ago.
These have a much stronger feel to them, are much better for fine adjustments and once done you can leave them in the correct position rather than having to squeeze the handles to maintain the lock.

I look forward to many years of usage with these.

Going Down To Liverpool
Going Down To Liverpool
Price: 0.99

5.0 out of 5 stars The re-recorded version by Katrina and the Waves, 17 May 2014
So some history - KATW recorded the original version of this song, which was later covered by the Bangles.
A few years later, they re-recorded their song but this time with Katrina Leskanich on lead vocals and the result is a superior version to both their original and IMHO the Bangles cover.

I still like the Bangles version but had to have this as well, so I can listen to whatever version suits my mood.
Great song with a little bit of a political message regarding Liverpool during the 1980's under a Conservative run Britain.

Going Down To Liverpool (Album Version)
Going Down To Liverpool (Album Version)

5.0 out of 5 stars Blast from the past, 17 May 2014
Overheard this on BBC Radio 6 the other day and it immediately clicked.
It's a great tune with a slightly odd political message which is out of place considering the Bangles come from California. Did they tour Liverpool at some point as an up and coming group, see the troubled lives of Liverpool folk in the 1980's and decide to put pen to paper?

No. It's actually a cover version as the original was written by Kimberley Rew for his group Katrina and The Waves.
This is better than the original Katrina and the Waves version but oddly enough they (KATW) re-recorded a newer version in 1985, which in turn is better than the Bangles cover.

Anyhow both versions have their own selling points, so I bought both.
For bonus bizarre weirdness, you just have to watch the Bangles video to this, featuring Leonard Nimoy as their chauffeur, whilst being driven to a gig … yeah, that's right Leonard (Spock) Nimoy.

Silverhill Tools ATLBRT Mac Mini Logic Board Removal Tool
Silverhill Tools ATLBRT Mac Mini Logic Board Removal Tool
Offered by SortedBits
Price: 4.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Does exactly as it says on the tin, 17 May 2014
Wanted to replace the hard disk in my Mac Mini 2010 for an SSD and to do this you need to remove the motherboard/logic board.
Rather than trying to find some metal and bodge it to fit, I decided to pay for something designed for the job and it sure did this excellently.
I'll probably never need it again but the cost wasn't terribly expensive and who knows, it'll end up in the toolbox and may find another use some time.

Silverline 749248 Post Driver 670 x 170mm
Silverline 749248 Post Driver 670 x 170mm
Price: 37.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Solid and heavy, 13 April 2014
Ordered this online as it was unavailable in the local places (Homebase, B&Q, Argos).
It arrived in a large box which was partially damaged due to the driver rattling around (to be honest, it would be difficult to pack sufficiently well to stop this).

I used the driver to knock in a wooden fence post and it achieved the job admirably well, with plenty of manual effort required.
Much safer than being up a ladder and using a sledge hammer

I would strongly advise wearing ear protectors as it makes quite a din when in use.

The Definitive Blues Brothers Collection
The Definitive Blues Brothers Collection
Price: 13.08

5.0 out of 5 stars What's not to love? It's the Blues Brothers!, 7 Nov 2013
If you love the films, if you love Blues and Soul, this is the album you have to buy.
Great collection of classic songs which always gets my toes tapping and puts a smile on my face.

There was an earlier posting to say the CD could not be played/ripped on their computer. I have to say that the copy I received was playable on my Mac (OSX = 10.8.x) and ripped into iTunes just fine, so perhaps that was a problem with an earlier pressing of the CD or compatibility issue with a different operating system.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Funky and well made, 5 Nov 2013
I liked the style of this t-shirt and the range of colours but as with a number of internet purchases of clothing, was worried about the size being accurate.
It turns out my fears weren't realised as this medium shirt fitted perfectly, even the length was great.

The next test was to see how it stood up to a wash, did it shrink? The answer (thankfully) was no.

So it looks like I can continue to wear this great t-shirt for many more years to come.

Zeal Silicone Spatula Spoon 26cm - Lime
Zeal Silicone Spatula Spoon 26cm - Lime
Offered by Colanders
Price: 7.36

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for getting the last bit of sauce from your pan, 19 Sep 2013
There are numerous silicon spoons on the market but this one really sets itself above the rest in my opinion.
Not only is it sturdy and safe to use but the scooped section holds a decent amount of sauce, plus it has a fine edge at the top meaning you can scrape around your pan to get all the last bits of your favourite sauce out.

That edge is fine enough to get into the edges where other spoons can't but it's also sturdy enough to hold it's shape.
Very happy with this product.

The First Big Weekend
The First Big Weekend

4.0 out of 5 stars Unusual but oddly cool, 13 Sep 2013
I heard this track on BBC Radio 6 the other day and it just clicked with me straight away from the slow build up, to the unusual narrative style of the song, to the music which just grows and grows.
A 30 second sample may not be enough to persuade you, so I would encourage you to listen to the whole track on Spotify or rdio.com or even youtube to get the full effect.

Admittedly it's not for everyone but that's part of the charm.

Outlaw (Outlaw Chronicles Book 1)
Outlaw (Outlaw Chronicles Book 1)
Price: 5.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting take on the Robin Hood story, 13 Sep 2013
Since a child I've always been fascinated with Robin Hood and have fond memories of watching the shows on TV.
This book attempts to tell the Robin Hood tale in more realistic point of view and that interested me enough to buy it.

As others have mentioned this is a story told from the perspective of a young Alan Dale, being taken in by Robin and his men after Alan has been caught stealing.
It's an interesting twist and an enjoyable enough read but it isn't the type of story with lots of turns and twists and it didn't grip me to the same extent that I couldn't put it down.

The author uses a number of historical words and phrases and I was thankful I could use the dictionary in the Kindle so I could understand these and enhance the story.
The story is also careful to use and draw inspiration from events around that time, settings, places and characters, so whilst this adds a certain level of authenticity, at other times my mind was struggling to decide what was fact or fiction.
Add into this the various telling and retelling of Robin Hood stories, I did start to blend in elements of the ITV series 'Robin of Sherwood' starring Michael Praed into the story, as a way of trying to make things slightly more familiar (maybe that's just me?)

As the story reaches its climax, things come together a bit better and sorts details out in a way that some of us are familiar with but then leaves itself open for the sequel, to take the story into a different direction and part of the Robin Hood mythology/story.

Overall I enjoyed it and will probably buy the second book but I may have to be in the right mood to start the next story.

Page: 1 | 2