Profile for Ms. P. Allom > Reviews

100 Snowflakes to Crochet: Make Your Own Snowdrift: To Give or For Keeps
by Caitlin Sainio
Price: 8.79

5.0 out of 5 stars Gorgeous book, 11 Dec 2013
Everything about this book is good. It's really well laid out with detailed instructions for each snowflake. All the instructions are good and the illustrations really clear.
I was a little shocked at how small the crochet hook you need is and how fine the thread, as I am not seasoned at crochet. However, after putting my glasses firmly on my nose and having a go at the first beginner snowflake, I soon got the hang of it and have made about 10 different patterns now. They have all worked beautifully and I find it difficult to tear myself away from this book and get about my daily life - beware making snowflakes becomes addictive.

Rivals in the Tudor Court (Tudor Court 2)
Rivals in the Tudor Court (Tudor Court 2)
by Darcey Bonnette
Price: 5.99

1.0 out of 5 stars very disappointing, 11 Dec 2013
I should have realised the level that this book is pitched at when I saw on the back it states perfect for fans of The Tudors (television series).
Basically this book is a medieval soap opera and not a very well written one at that. There are some glaring mistakes where twentieth century jargon is used. This jumps off the page at me and is very irritating.
It states that "This book is entirely a work of fiction. The names, characters and incidents portrayed in it are the work of the author's imagination. Any resemblance to actual persons living or dead, events or localities is entirely coincidental." Well I wish that this had been the case and then we wouldn't have to suffer her portrayal of some of the greatest historical lives.
The book goes along at a romping rate and if you are a Mills and Boon or Barbara Cartland fan then this might be for you but if you are a fan of more thoughtful historical fiction then I wouldn't advise trying this nonsense.

The Transformational Truth of Tarot
The Transformational Truth of Tarot
by Tiffany Crosara
Price: 14.99

5.0 out of 5 stars The Transformational Truth of the Tarot, 18 Sep 2012
I am a student of the Tarot. I am really enjoying this book. I will not buy another book about the tarot for a long time - not until I feel that I have learnt all I can from Tiffany Crosara. The reason for this is that her unique way of teaching the Tarot is striking every chord for me. I am slowly working my way through the Major Arcana - there are no 'meanings' in this book - rather encouragement to feel and use your intuition to come to understand each card. This takes time and there are really helpful hints to help you bring each card alive.

The book is well laid out so that it is easy to dip into at what ever point you feel like.
I like Tiffany's style of writing - it is warm and personal - you don't feel like you are studying a stuffy old book. There are insights into Tiffany's personal journey which is interesting too.

This book is a daily read for me at the moment and everytime I open it and read I get a new level of understanding - this book gets you thinking, feeling and sensing.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (Xbox 360)
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (Xbox 360)
Offered by NextDayEntertainment
Price: 19.75

4.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant with minor errors, 27 Dec 2011
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
First things first, the graphics are brilliant, the level of detail is wonderful. sometimes when you walk through a forest a flock of birds will fly into the sky. or a fox will run off into the bushes. nearly all of the scenery you see is available to approach. so for instance if you see a mountain in the distance you can often climb it. when you slay an enemy your weapon is often bloodstained. The gameplay is fantastic, i just love fighting a horde of bandits outnumbered ten to one and slaying them with ease. But then i also love the challenge of doing battle with an ancient necromancer and his minions. So the game is well balanced when it comes to battle, but i do not like the way certain quests are available when they are literally twenty levels above your characters in difficulty. I very nearly lost my character on a particular quest back when i had no backup saves. luckily my cunning friend saved me. Next the diffirent skills (Magic, Archery etc). All the diffirent skills are varied and work farely well together. Magic is not overpowered but if used correctly is fantastic if used wrong its crap. personally the archery and sneak skills are my signature choices because with them you can kill an enemy before they know your there.

They have done the dragons very well, each dragon you fight is diffirent (except the tutorial dragon). Be careful though when you reach around level ten dragons start spawning randomly (at that level you are no match for them).
All in all this game is awesome with a few small problems, if you like rpg's then this is the best game you can get.

Star Wars: The Force Unleashed II (Xbox 360)
Star Wars: The Force Unleashed II (Xbox 360)
Offered by APE-GAMES
Price: 14.49

2.0 out of 5 stars repetetive crap, 14 April 2011
= Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars
to be honest the force unleashed 1 was better but that was crap aswell. They make such a big thing with trailers and stuff get everyone exited and then produce a game with a 4 year olds storyline and rubbish and repetetive levels. Also the difficulty settings are insane easy is stupidly easy, normal is sometimes hard and other times easy, hard is impossible (probably because i never play force unleashed anymore) and on unleashed just walk away. there are very little force powers (I leveled all of them to full before even completing it). The only force unleashed I like is on psp because its like a different game on that. First time you play the game it is ok but not mind blowing and by the end i was very dissapointed, I liked the idea of clones but it turned out to be crap.
Graphics 9/10, storyline 3/10, gameplay 4/10. Overall I hate this game because it cost a lot for a piece of crap.

Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen - The Game (Xbox 360)
Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen - The Game (Xbox 360)
Offered by Bonkers4Bargains!
Price: 27.95

2.0 out of 5 stars repetative and confusing, 22 Jan 2011
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
this game starts off well. however the levels get so repetative, its restrictive and boring. graphics 9/10. gameplay 2/10. plot 7/10. sound effects 4/10. the film looks good but try and make a game out of it and its a complete failure.

Assassin's Creed II XBOX 360
Assassin's Creed II XBOX 360
Offered by Super-bargains
Price: 19.89

4.0 out of 5 stars thriller, 30 Nov 2010
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This game is amazing. Action packed but also has many riddles to get through. Many optional quests, the sound effects are brilliant. Graphics are incredible, it can get rather trying at times because of the difficulty of a certain level. The begining is quite boring as is the end disappointing but 90percent of the story is amazing fun and spectacular to play. This game is also good because it takes a while to complete unlike some games which are done and dusted in a day or two. Overall if you're a medieval fighting fan, riddle solving fan then this is the game for you. 10/10 from me.

How It All Vegan!: Irresistible Recipes for an Animal Free Diet
How It All Vegan!: Irresistible Recipes for an Animal Free Diet
by Tanya Barnard
Price: 8.29

2.0 out of 5 stars not as good as I'd hoped, 15 Nov 2010
I was hoping for a new take on vegan foods. I don't like soya 'cheeze' and found it sprinkled throughout the book. Also I am not a fan of TVP. I don't like the American style of the book - what is 'dry sweetener'? Too many recipes for muffins - the western world is obese enough!! Practically no fresh fruit has been included - I found the recipes tired and old hat - not what I was expecting from a book written in 2008. It will probably end up in a charity shop
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 24, 2011 8:47 PM BST

Kenwood BM450 Bread Maker with Ingredients Dispenser
Kenwood BM450 Bread Maker with Ingredients Dispenser
Price: 79.98

3.0 out of 5 stars impossible to remove paddle, 4 Feb 2010
I love almost everything about this machine. I love the touch controls, the light that you can press to look inside then turn off again, its sleek good looks BUT and it is a very big BUT I cannot remove the paddle. I have to get my partner to wrench it off every time and it is driving me mad. I am hoping that it will get easier with time. In my mind this is a design fault
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 17, 2012 6:41 PM BST

Domesday Book: A Complete Translation (Penguin Classics)
Domesday Book: A Complete Translation (Penguin Classics)
by none
Price: 32.00

4.0 out of 5 stars cannot trace individual houses, 12 Nov 2009
Very often one hears the phrase - this house is mentioned in the Doomesday Book. Well I cannot find any reference to individual properties which is what I wanted the book for. I know there are properties in certain parishes which were mentioned in the Doomesday Book but in this edition you only get the parish mentioned.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 23, 2009 1:39 PM GMT